• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

30 for 30 - Fantastic Lies

Neurodeac

Reaction score
Watched it with my 17 year old son, who has gotten into lacrosse the past couple of years, and I'm curious if anyone else watched it and what they think about it. I thought it was very well done. My son and I had a pretty good discussion afterwards.

Ho hum. Since no one agreed to be interviewed, it was just a montage of decade old file footage, most of which I have seen or read about before.

The one new revelation for me was the fact that the woman in question is now in prison. I just wonder who prosecuted, and what lab examined the evidence.

Ho hum. Since no one agreed to be interviewed, it was just a montage of decade old file footage, most of which I have seen or read about before.

The one new revelation for me was the fact that the woman in question is now in prison. I just wonder who prosecuted, and what lab examined the evidence.

I can only assume that the three gentlemen who settled cannot testify as part of that settlement.

Some Carolina fans should have put up a billboard saying "Duke faculty unfair to athletes", with that petition many of them signed.

I haven't watched it yet, but looking forward to hearing Nancy Grace explain why she was so quick to condemn the LAX team and everyone associated with it, and why she chose to bail on her show the night the AG threw the whole thing out.

I watched it with my sons who play HS lacrosse in NC and thought it was very good. Their coach is a county DA (not Durham) and former Duke lacrosse player. The 60 minutes piece was excellent too. Pressler was interviewed in that piece as was a former Duke administrator.

I had heard a lot of this before, but there were a number of details I either never heard or had forgotten. Just how brazen Nifong's arrangement was the with private DNA lab for example.

Dave Evans' statement before the media the day he was charged was impressive. No notes.

Last edited:
I haven't watched it yet, but looking forward to hearing Nancy Grace explain why she was so quick to condemn the LAX team and everyone associated with it, and why she chose to bail on her show the night the AG threw the whole thing out.

That was vintage Nancy Grace. A clip from her show was played demonstrating the media response and rush to judgement.

Interesting take. Do you routinely turn to documentaries looking for new information?

I thought it was well done. A very strong 30 for 30 submission.

I had the opposite reaction. I never really had the feeling that it was missing any voices even though the 3 players, Nifong, Mangum, and Duke admin were all absent. Thought the original footage mixed with the present day interviews with parents, lawyers, journalists was well done.

Dave Evans' statement before the media the day he was charged was impressive. No notes.

+1. I also liked the statement Seligmann had on the day Cooper dismissed everything where he acknowledged that these 3 were fortunate to have the resources to fight back but that there are a lot of other similar situations where the accused doesn't have a good lawyer behind them.

Another thing that struck me was what a tough position Brodhead and the administration were in. You've got faculty, students, Durham community, national media calling for you to step up and take more action against the team and the players. You've also got people criticizing you on the other side for not defending the university's reputation and the players' innocence until real evidence came out.

Fuck Roy Cooper. That SOB did nothing but sit back and watch the ineptitude unfold until it was obvious to anyone with a pulse that Nifong had botched it, and then Cooper comes in with his political grandstanding and press conference like he was the forgiver of all sins. What a cocksucker.

Fuck Roy Cooper. That SOB did nothing but sit back and watch the ineptitude unfold until it was obvious to anyone with a pulse that Nifong had botched it, and then Cooper comes in with his political grandstanding and press conference like he was the forgiver of all sins. What a cocksucker.

What should he have done differently since the ag's office was not involved in the case until Nifong requested it?

I remember getting attacked on whatever boards we were on 10 years ago for saying that they didn't do anything the day the story broke. Best part was the N&O reporter that had the decency to apologize. Jay Bilas was pretty interesting on that show

Given the thread's title, I opened it thinking a documentary had been made of Ron Wellman's career at Wake Forest.

What should he have done differently since the ag's office was not involved in the case until Nifong requested it?

They weren't involved because Cooper is a pussy who won't do anything unless it benefits him individually. He has the power to bring cases against public officials through the state Judicial Standards Commission and Law Enforcement Training & Standards Commission. But of course he didn't, he watched it unfold until the outcome was certain from the State Bar's efforts and then he tried to take some of the credit. Typical of him.

022912Roy_Cooper1.jpg

Those guys were the perfect villains. The facts were only going to get in the way.

Nice job, Dook. 88 idiots arguably cost you about $340,000.00 each. Good job. Good effort. You had the most embarrassing African-American Studies Department in the Triangle. Think about that.

Fun fact that they left out of the documentary: Dook tore down the house. It was a vacant lot last time I drove by (probably 18 months ago). You know you didn't handle something well when demolition seems like the best response. It would have made a fitting office for The Innocence Project, but no way Dook lets the joke roll back on them like that.

Last edited:
Those guys were the perfect villains. The facts were only going to get in the way.

Nice job, Dook. 88 idiots arguably cost you about $340,000.00 each. Good job. Good effort. You had the most embarrassing African-American Studies Department in the Triangle. Think about that.

Fun fact that they left out of the documentary: Dook tore down the house. It was a vacant lot last time I drove by (probably 18 months ago). You know you didn't handle something well when demolition seems like the best response. It would have made a fitting office for The Innocence Project, but no way Dook lets the joke roll back on them like that.

They actually showed the video of the demolition during the closing credits.

Thought the same thing. I don't know that I would have had the same strength and composure to give that speech in the way that he did when I was his age, facing what he was facing.

Back