• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3D Printed Guns?

eh, some polymer or whatever could be invented tomorrow and that would invalidate your argument. but for now you are right, which is why i did post 54. you know, bamboo were the first firearm barrels. is it just the barrel that has to bear the force of the explosion? if so i could also see a scenario where there becomes a market for just the barrels, with the rest being printed.

Recoil impulse would still have to be dealt with. Take a look at flintlock and caplock muzzleloaders, the barrel is a tube with one end closed, except for a small hole at the breech end for the ignition process, the open end being the muzzle. The breech end, which is closest to your face, has to withstand the ignition process. Then take a look at single shot cartridge rifles, be they rolling block, falling block, or break open. Look at single and double barrel break open shotguns, lots of metal behind the barrel(s). Breech pressure and bolt thrust cannot be ignored. Even the simplest blowback semiauto handguns still have enough metal to withstand the bolt thrust upon ignition to delay the opening of the action until combustion is safely completed, and then the action opens, a spent cartridge case is ejected, and a new cartridge is stripped from the magazine and chambered. The physics of the whole process is very difficult to get around.

"On Wednesday, the ATF posted a series of videos of its tests of the printed gun to YouTube. It tested two versions of the printed gun model known as the Liberator: one printed in the material known as Visijet, and another in the stronger plastic known as ABS. An ATF spokesman tells me that the ABS gun shot eight rounds without problems in its tests. But as its videos show, the ATF’s Visijet gun immediately exploded on firing."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...nts-testfiring-except-when-it-explodes-video/

"On Wednesday, the ATF posted a series of videos of its tests of the printed gun to YouTube. It tested two versions of the printed gun model known as the Liberator: one printed in the material known as Visijet, and another in the stronger plastic known as ABS. An ATF spokesman tells me that the ABS gun shot eight rounds without problems in its tests. But as its videos show, the ATF’s Visijet gun immediately exploded on firing."

http://www.forbes.com/sites/andygre...nts-testfiring-except-when-it-explodes-video/

Physics is hard to ignore...

this is basically why I think assassins will be the first to use this technology (or children playing). being undetectable, it is practical for that application if you can get close enough and have little regard for yourself. If the article is true, I could have my own liberator tomorrow (pirate bay is hardly the deep web) the longest part being the time it would take to ship the printer here. I'd use a string to pull the trigger that's for damn sure, but as they say common sense isn't common.

But as its videos show, the ATF’s Visijet gun immediately exploded on firing."

"But the ABS gun video released by the ATF implies that the gun is more durable. “[The testers] quit after eight rounds, but there was no issue with the firearm at that point,” says the ATF’s Graden."

elkman won't be happy until every third grader has a semi-automatic pistol with a 100 round drum on every playground in America and people set up gunshows next gang HQs (after all if someone wearing a bandanna, having three teardrop tattoos by his eye and other prison tats says<"I'm not a felon" anyone should be able to sell him a gun without doing a background check).

But as its videos show, the ATF’s Visijet gun immediately exploded on firing."

Way to completely ignore the other findings of that test.

Materials science is going to take this whole issue to some dreadful places much faster than any of us appreciate.

Kind of surprised the ABS gun worked.
ABS is made to be explosion resistant, but it's not like its some kind of space aged material. You can buy it at Lowe's (we used to make bad ass potato guns out of it). Given that it worked, I guess I'm really more surprised that you hadn't heard of people trying to make ABS guns before. I doubt you need a 3-D printer to make a functioning single shot gun.
I suspect there is something not quite right about the ABS gun....my guess, although this is just a pure guess, is that it's probably wildly inaccurate.

.22 caliber as well,so not exactly firing elephant rifles.

and the barrel is snub nosed, so yeah.

Also, and it may be my eyes playing tricks on me, but it seems as if there is a lot of distortion in the gun upon firing so I bet that makes it worse

I always think about John Malkovich in In the Line of Fire when I hear about 3D printed guns.

03DPRGUNS02.jpg

Do you mean .22 rimfire?

I just found it funny that the ATF had a 50% success rate with one design failing, and another calling eight shots all good.

A private company recently printed an all metal 1911 clone using a sintering (sp?) process, and used it to fire 500 rounds of 45 ACP. Before all of you start your bed wetting, that company has an FFL.

Not sure what you mean by elephant rifles...

Back