• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

3D Printed Guns?

It's gonna be pretty funny watching the idiots in Congress try to legislate this.

It's gonna be pretty funny watching the idiots in Congress try to legislate this.

Considering it's a major national security issue, I'm taking it seriously.

because you can download the CADs for anything you want and then print it out. This means when i need a new trashcan, i just make it. new end table? i could just make it, and exactly to spec too. and that's just right now...eventually they could print lightbulbs and computer chips too. when they become cost effective and can print from many different types of material simultaneously, why wouldn't i buy a 3d printer?

Okay, so why haven't you bought a CNC machine to download CADs to make your new trashcan and end table?

bro i'm a white southerner...i already got gunz

That will be an incredible amount of expense and effort to create a barely- (if at all) functional, stupid-looking, single-shot gun that will not be able to withstand any meaningful amount of pressure in the barrel.

That will be an incredible amount of expense and effort to create a barely- (if at all) functional, stupid-looking, single-shot gun that will not be able to withstand any meaningful amount of pressure in the barrel.

Yeah, for the time being, you are basically paying to blow your fingers off.

It's not about the crappy gun people can print today. It's about the sweet bazooka they'll be able to print in 10 years.

#2ndamendment

It's not about the crappy gun people can print today. It's about the sweet bazooka they'll be able to print in 10 years.

#2ndamendment

2nd Amendment will be a lot less important when there isn't as much money to be made from it.

How many people get killed from smoking weed ever? zero ever so why don't you want your kids buying weed?

2nd Amendment will be a lot less important when there isn't as much money to be made from it.

Good point although I'm sure gun makers will figure out how to make money selling official gun printers and designs.

Good point although I'm sure gun makers will figure out how to make money selling official gun printers and designs.

Not nearly as much. As long as things can be made with plans on the internet, there will be plenty of opportunities to do it for free.

Nobody will ever be able to make a real gun, much less a bazooka, on a do-it-yourself 3D printer. The barrel pressure is too high. Real guns can't be made without real machine-shop equipment.

In fact, if you want to make a plastic gun/cannon right now, a potato gun will be more lethal than anything that someone will ever be able to make with a 3d printer. http://www.advancedspuds.com/blseries.htm (There are probably hundred of other plans available with an easy search). We shouldn't restrict the internet, PVC, potatoes, hairspray or grill lighter switches, either. It is also a stupid idea to make these - PVC was never meant to withstand this type of pressure and can explode. I have never heard of a potato gun hold up or terrorist attack, but there are plenty of potato gun injuries. http://articles.chicagotribune.com/...-guns-20130427_1_potato-gun-spud-gun-warnings http://www.xdtalk.com/forums/xdtalk-chatter-box/48405-very-real-dangers-potato-guns.html

guns that go through metal detectors...what are those made of? when the chineese were firing fireworks out of bamboo i doubt anyone predicted the AK-47...

even when the technology is still impractical for mass production it could be come practical for a terrorist organization or assassins. would be a lot easier to bomb a factory than a printer that's loaded onto flatbeds and driven around as well.

Also people have to do something when Obama takes all the real guns.

I think a lot of you are ignoring the engineering and the materials needed to make weapons.
As someone mentioned, it's easy and cheap to make single shot, shitty, yet technically effective weapons now. You don't need a 3-D printer. However, sophisticated weapons require engineered materials as well as engineered drawings and schematics. a 3-D printer may be able to work the schematics well, but a 3-D printer it's going to be able to print steel, much less the specialized steel that is need for proper guns.

Back