• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

6 Biggest NFL Draft Busts

"They took him fourth overall out of Wake Forest and paid him $34 million guaranteed, which is the most for a non-quarterback in NFL history."

baje7a4u.jpg

Really surprised Terence Cody didn't make the list. Look at those melons.

Mandarich, Russell and Leaf are the three that first come to my mind. I had completely forgotten about Couch and Rodgers. I do think it is tough to put a guy like Rodgers on this list when it was clearly an injury problem that made him a bust.

Also injury problems, but Brian Bosworth should be on the list for hype-to-productivity ratio and extra credit for the mullet.

Brian-Bosworth.jpg

Curry clearly laid the foundation for the Seahawks' current SB run.

Also injury problems, but Brian Bosworth should be on the list for hype-to-productivity ratio and extra credit for the mullet.

Brian-Bosworth.jpg

Totally agree. He was the first name that came to mind when I saw this thread (although Leaf definitely is #1).

They asked Peyton manning what he was going to do after getting drafted, he said "I'm going to get my play book, meet the coaches and learn as much as I can to be prepared for camp". They asked Ryan leaf the same question, his answer? "I'm getting my friends and going to vegas."

He's in the conversation, but without looking at the list (and in no order):

Aklei Smith
All those PSU RBs
Couch
Leaf
Entman
Correyat
Trev Albert
Mandrich
The workout warrior from BC that the jets drafted in the 80s
Rick Meir
The tiny UCLA QB drafted by the Bears in the 90s

Brian-Bosworth.jpg

A bust due to injuries, but he was actually a fairly good player when he did play for the two years that he did. Plus he was picked in the supplemental draft and not the regular draft.

He's in the conversation, but without looking at the list (and in no order):

Aklei Smith
All those PSU RBs
Couch
Leaf
Entman
Correyat
Trev Albert
Mandrich
The workout warrior from BC that the jets drafted in the 80s
Rick Meir
The tiny UCLA QB drafted by the Bears in the 90s

The BC guy was Mike Mamula picked by the Eagles. Cade McNown was the little QB. In the draft of 6 1st Rd QBs in '99, only McNabb and Culpepper ever amounted to anything respectable. Entmann and K Carter were cut down by knee injuries. I thought Rich Campbell,#6 overall in 1981 played in 6 games, was overlooked for this list, because Hugh Green and Ronnie Lott were next two picks. Aubrey Bruce was a horrible 1st overall in '88 with pro-bowlers pick in 6 of the next 8 selections, then followed by Michael Irvin. In another terrible draft move, Jimmy Johnson spent what would be the 1st pick in the '90 draft, in order to take his Miami guy Steve Walsh, to back up Troy.

Last edited:
The BC guy was Mike Mamula picked by the Eagles. Cade McNown was the little QB. In the draft of 6 1st Rd QBs in '99, only McNabb and Culpepper ever amounted to anything respectable. Entmann and K Carter were cut down by knee injuries. I thought Rich Campbell,#6 overall in 1981 played in 6 games, was overlooked for this list, because Hugh Green and Ronnie Lott were next two picks. Aubrey Bruce was a horrible 1st overall in '88 with pro-bowlers pick in 6 of the next 8 selections, then followed by Michael Irvin. In another terrible draft move, Jimmy Johnson spent what would be the 1st pick in the '90 draft, in order to take his Miami guy Steve Walsh, to back up Troy.

Thanks for filling in the gaps. Hard to believe I forgot to mention JaMarcus Russell. I didn't include Bruce b/c that was the year when no one wanted that No. 1 overall pick. Just wasn't a consensus No. 1. Obviously, hindsight being what it is, there would have been better picks, but Bruce played for several seasons and was a contributor IIRC>

Watching the Seattle vs. San Fran game Sunday, I was thinking it's got to bother Curry that for whatever reason he didn't make it and isn't playing on that team.

Who was that Penn St. RB that the Panthers drafted? He had a long last name, IIRC...

Right - but he was from Michigan - Biakabutka? You might be thinking of Kijana Carter?

Who was that Penn St. RB that the Panthers drafted? He had a long last name, IIRC...

Ki-Jana Carter? Biakabatika was from Michigan.

Didn't the Colts pick Emptman and Corryat 1-2 when they had the first two picks in the same draft ? Solid value there.

Back