• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

6 Biggest NFL Draft Busts

According to nfl.com, Bosworth played 24 games from 1987-1989 in which he had 4 sacks and zero tackles. He was taken in the supplemental draft for what was at the time the largest contract in Seahawks history and the largest rookie contract in NFL history.

I'd say that zero tackles number is pretty much guaranteed to be 100% false, especially considering that he did have 4 sacks one year (if you look on profootball-reference.com, apparently only 6 players made tackles for Seattle the entire 1987 season). He was a solid player when healthy, who Seattle played out of position. Injuries, possibly brought about due to roids, were the reason why he failed at the next level. From Wikipedia, " Team Doctor Pierce E. Scranton Jr. explained that 'Brian was a twenty-five-year-old with the shoulders of a sixty-year-old. He flunked my physical.'"

Desmond Howard was a bust. He had one great game, just happened to be during a Super Bowl.

I think part of the reason that Curry feels like such a bust is that he was supposed to be a no brained sure thing moreso than some other high risk picks

I think part of the reason that Curry feels like such a bust is that he was supposed to be a no brained sure thing moreso than some other high risk picks

Plus he seemed to have a good head on his shoulders.

Yeah everyone claimed he was the safest pick in the entire draft. He had incredible production at Wake, incredible numbers at the combine, and interviewed well with the GMs.

Desmond Howard was a bust. He had one great game, just happened to be during a Super Bowl.

I was going to mention him. He was a career punt/kickoff return man, but a pretty decent one. Very high pick for that though.

What about Heath Shuler? He sucked.

How is this thread 2+ pages and this is the only mention of Shuler. Perhaps I am biased but that dude has to be in anyone's top 5 busts. 3rd overall pick and only played 3 seasons...3 terrible god awful seasons.

Reactions: ONW
Ryan Leaf sabotaged the draft?

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/10327498/peyton-manning-no-1-draft-pick-ryan-leaf-spurned-jim-mora

"'If you go to the combine,' I told Ryan, 'but fail to show up for a meeting with Mora, that should do it. Jim is a real prideful person who has a tendency to explode. I am not recommending you do this, but if you are desperate to go to San Diego, this is the way,'" Steinberg wrote.

Leaf sought the quarterback job in San Diego "because of the exceptional weather and the more laid-back lifestyle," Steinberg wrote.

How is this thread 2+ pages and this is the only mention of Shuler. Perhaps I am biased but that dude has to be in anyone's top 5 busts. 3rd overall pick and only played 3 seasons...3 terrible god awful seasons.

Another guy I left off my list. It was inadvertent, but likely b/c I have a soft spot for the guy given his political leanings. But yeah, a massive failure in the NFL. Gus Ferrotte was not, however, a bust.

Shuler and Ferotte were pick in the same draft for a reason. The same reason why we are going after another QB.

Shuler and Ferotte were pick in the same draft for a reason. The same reason why we are going after another QB.

Quite true. Our current commit does not start for his HS team at QB or at any other position. Not good.

The BC guy was Mike Mamula picked by the Eagles. Cade McNown was the little QB. In the draft of 6 1st Rd QBs in '99, only McNabb and Culpepper ever amounted to anything respectable. Entmann and K Carter were cut down by knee injuries. I thought Rich Campbell,#6 overall in 1981 played in 6 games, was overlooked for this list, because Hugh Green and Ronnie Lott were next two picks. Aubrey Bruce was a horrible 1st overall in '88 with pro-bowlers pick in 6 of the next 8 selections, then followed by Michael Irvin. In another terrible draft move, Jimmy Johnson spent what would be the 1st pick in the '90 draft, in order to take his Miami guy Steve Walsh, to back up Troy.

Mamula doesn't belong anywhere near this list. He didn't have a great career but in his five seasons with the Eagles he had 31.5 sacks. Not a pro bowler, but averaging more than six sacks a year for five years on the team that drafted you bumps you easily out of all-time bust category.

He was a workout wonder. His is a case were the great athleticism gave us OK results. It's as if they never looked at his game film from BC.

Back