• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

747 Crash at Bagram Airbase?

tsy (I think?) posted it in the chat thread yesterday.

That video rattled me...like made me really anxious and jittery. Just surreal to see.

Reminded me of this, except more terrifying.

I saw that dashcam video the other day before I had heard about it on the news and I was NOT prepared for it. Holy fuck.

My father works there as a civilian contractor and was about a half mile away from the actual crash. They are used to hearing large planes take off all the time, and this one sounded different when it started to stand up and they all had time to take a look outside and witness the crash.

Word is that the cargo broke loose during takeoff and all the weight shifted towards the tail of the plane, causing it to stand up on it's tail only 1000 feet above the ground.

The spin was induced by the disruption of air flow into the starboard engine. This disruption stalled the engine which produced enough yaw rate to induce a spin which was unrecoverable. There was no way Lieutenant Mitchell could see or avoid the jetwash. The Board of Inquiry finds that he was not at fault in the accident of July. His record will be cleared. He's restored to flight status without further delay.

This was the first thing that went through my mind seeing that video. Except this was real and people died. That video is just absolutely insane.

My father works there as a civilian contractor and was about a half mile away from the actual crash. They are used to hearing large planes take off all the time, and this one sounded different when it started to stand up and they all had time to take a look outside and witness the crash.

Word is that the cargo broke loose during takeoff and all the weight shifted towards the tail of the plane, causing it to stand up on it's tail only 1000 feet above the ground.

I've heard that the most dangerous times for plane crashes are takeoff and landing. If that cargo had all shifted after the plane was up, is it likely that they would've kept the plane in the air?

I've heard that the most dangerous times for plane crashes are takeoff and landing. If that cargo had all shifted after the plane was up, is it likely that they would've kept the plane in the air?

Yes, the plane would still have been able to fly but the pilot would have fought it big time on the descent. In this case the plane was already climbing at a very steep angle, and the weight shift was so sudden that the pilot never had time to correct and when the attitude of the plane went completely nose up they lost all lift.

We are not flying 747's in Afghanistan. That is a C-12. This one.

I see the resemblance

C-12

300px-C-12_Huron_in_flight.jpg

Jal.747.newcolours.arp.750pix.jpg

Back