• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Cross posted from chat thread:

Au Pair wants to take a couple classes while she's here in the states. I'm sitting in UNC-G's admissions office. This experience is traumatic. No wonder our schools cost an arm and a leg. The administrative bloat is off the charts. This is Big Gay.

I can't overstate how WAAAAAY too serious fucking UNC-G takes itself.

Au pair, huh?

Man who voted for politicians who cut funding for public education is surprised when public education has to charge students more money.

Man who voted for politicians who cut funding for public education is surprised when public education has to charge students more money.

Funding is not their fucking problem, BBD. The admissions office looked like a fucking Greek club. Designer chandeliers, a legion of douche-bag admissions workers wearing shoes nicer than mine. If anything, funding might be their problem, but in the opposite way - they look like an institution that is just drunk-to-the-tits off subsidized student loans.

I spoke with folks from admissions, the registrar, the cashier, and financial aid. The only one that didn't register surprise when I was like, "how much will this cost" was the cashier. Every other school employee couldn't answer, "how much will this cost"?

So you went to a university and in one visit got to speak personally with several staff and administrators. You complained that the facilities were too nice and the staff and administrators shoes were too nice. Then you complained that the only person who could tell you exactly how much your specific situation would cost is the person whose job is to know it and the people for whom that isn't their job didn't.

I don't see the problem other than education is expensive.

Why do well-to-do people like to complain about other people having nice shoes? I'm not a shoe person so that's just weird to me.

So you went to a university and in one visit got to speak personally with several staff and administrators. You complained that the facilities were too nice and the staff and administrators shoes were too nice. Then you complained that the only person who could tell you exactly how much your specific situation would cost is the person whose job is to know it and the people for whom that isn't their job didn't.

I don't see the problem other than education is expensive.

Why do well-to-do people like to complain about other people having nice shoes? I'm not a shoe person so that's just weird to me.

Ph, fucks sake man. I worked college admissions. It's absolutely the responsibility of a college admissions person to know something about the cost of education and the financial services/aid that the school offers.

I'm painting the picture of an over-staffed, under-qualified bloated corpse that over-charges students. Am I some rich guy yelling at clouds? Yes - for fucks sake, I'm on a Wake Forest message board. Doesn't invalidate my point.

“I can’t believe how much it costs to educate my Au Pair” is a pretty hilarious Wake Forest message board complaint.

Huh, I took a few courses at UNCG between undergrad and getting into grad school at WFU (to fill in some missing prereqs that I hadn't taken in undergrad). It was about 2k per class iirc so not cheap, but honestly my teachers were better than 80% of my classes at UNC. I think at least one (maybe two) of my professors had Wake degrees too. Helped quite a bit with references.

Anyway, this is just to say I thought it was 1) a better school experience than I expected (probably helped I was taking only classes I really enjoyed/had strong interest in) and 2) definitely worth it for me long run.

I was having a discussion recently with another UVA Law grad about how at some point they had tried to take the law school private and it created a huge rift because people perceived it as depriving the public of a valuable state resource.

When I was there the in state tuition was like $32K and out of state was $37K. I had a lot of friends that wanted to be public defenders or commonwealth attorneys that ended up going BigLaw because of their loans.

i can attest that actually PAYING app state for my son's education is a fiasco. They have at least 3 different systems, none of which talk to each other, through which I must navigate to pay them. You can't pay for tuition and food through the same place. And god forbid you want to see the history of your payments.

Ph, fucks sake man. I worked college admissions. It's absolutely the responsibility of a college admissions person to know something about the cost of education and the financial services/aid that the school offers.

I'm painting the picture of an over-staffed, under-qualified bloated corpse that over-charges students. Am I some rich guy yelling at clouds? Yes - for fucks sake, I'm on a Wake Forest message board. Doesn't invalidate my point.

I don't think there is any doubt that administrative bloat and the over-building of Taj Mahal facilities due to the need to compete for students has contributed significantly to the rising costs of higher education...

Y'all will probably be pissed to learn at some of these regional R2 schools that the professors teaching your children are getting paid less per course than you (and every other student) are paying for it.

An MBA is a lousy investment, so Rutgers is doing something about it.

Rutgers placed graduates in ‘sham’ jobs at university to boost MBA rankings, suit says
https://www.miamiherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article260249650.html

The “No. 1 Public Business School in the Northeast” may have padded its job-placement numbers for recent graduates using “sham” temporary positions funded by the university’s endowment, according to a new whistleblower lawsuit filed in New Jersey state court. The complaint, which accuses Rutgers University of using those numbers to inflate its MBA rankings, was filed by the human resources manager at Rutgers Business School, Deidre White, who still works for the university. “Instead of telling the truth to prospective and current students, (Rutgers Business School) continues to make the claim that virtually all of its graduates are gainfully employed,” the lawsuit states. “As a result, students chose to attend Rutgers based on these false representations and manipulated MBA ranking statistics.”

According to the complaint, Rutgers created “sham” positions within the university for unemployed graduates but outsourced the jobs to a temp-agency to skirt reporting restrictions that bar colleges from counting internal hires in their employment data. “This was a blatant effort to give the impression of a higher overall full-time employability rating with third-parties and to deceptively bolster Defendant Rutgers’ ‘ranking’ with crucial media outlets, such as U.S. News & World Report,” White’s lawyer said in the lawsuit. White was hired in 2015 and worked for university human resources before she was transferred to the business school in Newark, New Jersey, where she became the HR manager, her lawyer said.

The job placement rate for full-time MBA students is listed as 100% within six months after graduation on the business school’s website. But according to White’s lawsuit, some of those jobs have been “token permanent positions directly with the university.” Rutgers hired the MBA students through a third-party temp-agency using more than $400,000 from the university endowment, her lawyer said. A chart from 2018 included in the lawsuit shows seven of the students who were hired were given short-term contracts lasting three to seven months at an hourly rate of $45.

(Important note: The NJ.com article on this suit froze my browser. Beware.)

Interesting article. So much is (unfairly) tied to US News rankings that multiple schools have acted in dishonest ways to boost their rankings. Villanova's law school ran into a similar issue a while back, but I don't recall there being a lawsuit.

Just goes to show you that people from RJ’s region are scumbags.

Is this news? Law schools across the country have been doing this for years and years. I assumed business schools did it too.

Yeah, I think the difference is outsourcing the jobs to temp agencies. Law schools definitely create "fellowships" and bullshit admin positions to boost their employment stats.

Is this the thread where I annually come to complain about the fact that Wake Forest tuition costs around $60,000 a year and that a realistic 4-year cost for undergrad at Wake Forest is $400,000? Is this the place where I annually argue that's completely insane?

Back