• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Is this the thread where I annually come to complain about the fact that Wake Forest tuition costs around $60,000 a year and that a realistic 4-year cost for undergrad at Wake Forest is $400,000? Is this the place where I annually argue that's completely insane?

It is completely insane, and a good bit of the insanity is administrative bloat, incredible bloat.

Is this the thread where I annually come to complain about the fact that Wake Forest tuition costs around $60,000 a year and that a realistic 4-year cost for undergrad at Wake Forest is $400,000? Is this the place where I annually argue that's completely insane?

Especially for a liberal arts school that doesn't really pop on a resume. Like it's fine.

Especially for a liberal arts school that doesn't really pop on a resume. Like it's fine.
If a national SLAC doesn't "pop" on a resume that's the fault of the reader and not the applicant

So living expenses for a college student at Wake are around $40k per year?

If a national SLAC doesn't "pop" on a resume that's the fault of the reader and not the applicant

No, not really. Good for getting you into law school, but 99 percent of jobs don't care about a Wake undergrad degree, .5 percent accurately assess that the candidate is likely insane, and the other .5 respect it.

No, not really. Good for getting you into law school, but 99 percent of jobs don't care about a Wake undergrad degree, .5 percent accurately assess that the candidate is likely insane, and the other .5 respect it.
"Not really" to you too. Maybe you don't care about SLACs when hiring but that doesn't mean that others don't. Many jobs in this country don't require a college diploma, but I wouldn't think it would be fair to say that hiring managers "don't care" about a Maryland degree.

It is completely insane, and a good bit of the insanity is administrative bloat, incredible bloat.

College costs are definitely insane but blaming it on administration is such a lazy libertarian talking point. There are about 1000 reasons why costs have exploded and having too many Deans and Directors is just 1 of the reasons.

"Not really" to you too. Maybe you don't care about SLACs when hiring but that doesn't mean that others don't. Many jobs in this country don't require a college diploma, but I wouldn't think it would be fair to say that hiring managers "don't care" about a Maryland degree.

I think many hiring managers don't care about a MD degree as well.

Edit: for both statements, I certainly meant for jobs that a degree matters.

Last edited:
If you're hiring people based largely on the brand name of their degree, then I'd suggest you're not looking deeply enough

Like I said before, not recognizing the value of a SLAC education is a hiring manager problem, not that of the applicant

Of graduates that take out student loans, the average debt after graduation is:

Wake $36,000
UNC $22,000
Maryland $39,000

Of graduates that take out student loans, the average debt after graduation is:

Wake $36,000
UNC $22,000
Maryland $39,000

C’mon, that’s obviously exclusion bias from the applicant pool.

C’mon, that’s obviously exclusion bias from the applicant pool.

There are several variables in play. Some students pay full tuition without taking loans, which is why I only included those that took out some loans. If you include all students, the debt is lower than $36,000. Wake has 1400 need-based scholarships covering $70 million per year and another $11 million per year in non need-based scholarships.

"In 2019-2020, 36% of our full-time beginning undergraduates received grant/scholarship aid."

All I know is graduating from a Top 30 university with only $18K in debt doesn't sound like a terrible proposition. Also, you can't really buy a house for $18K.

Or Wake has a lot of rich kids who pay sticker price.

Yeah, I thought that part was clear. About half of the students pay tuition without loans. For those that take out loans, their average debt after 4 years is $36,000.

Good to see Rafi land on his feet with a job in admissions after Wellman retired.

Back