• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A college degree is a lousy investment

Half the students pay tuition with no loans? Good lord it’s more a Day School than I realized.

Massively over-priced gated emotional support center for rich kids with arrested development.

Half the students pay tuition with no loans? Good lord it’s more a Day School than I realized.

The average debt at graduation at UNCC is $28,000. At Wake 88% of students graduate within 4 years and at UNCC that number is 29%.

The average debt at graduation at UNCC is $28,000. At Wake 88% of students graduate within 4 years and at UNCC that number is 29%.

LOL sounds like Wake is pretty easy to graduate from these days. Grade inflation must be correlated to the rise in student’s family income. Big time Day school. It’s like when Forsyth Country Day gave honors credit for PE to its students to inflate their HS QPA. You get what you pay for.

Rafi it’s okay to admit that Wake is just a finishing schools for the sons and daughters of lawyers and finance execs. We live in the Gilded Age 2.0, it was inevitable.

Last edited:
LOL sounds like Wake is pretty easy to graduate from these days. Grade inflation must be correlated to the rise in student’s family income. Big time Day school. It’s like when Forsyth Country Day gave honors credit for PE to its students to inflate their HS QPA. You get what you pay for.

Rafi it’s okay to admit that Wake is just a finishing schools for the sons and daughters of lawyers and finance execs. We live in the Gilded Age 2.0, it was inevitable.

I'm just posting the numbers. When you have kids that are looking at colleges, it quickly becomes clear that the sticker price is not what most people pay. Numbers such as debt at graduation, 4 year grad rates, etc. are much more relevant than the listed tuition. Wake isn't in the top 100 (maybe not the top 200) of colleges with the highest debt at graduation. That's why US News has Wake ranked as the 24th "best value" school.

LOL sounds like Wake is pretty easy to graduate from these days.

Elite private schools have the highest graduation rates - Princeton, Duke, Georgetown, etc. are all 90%. There are probably several reasons why - smart/driven/organized students, students aren't part time, highly involved parents, good advising, ability to get needed classes, etc.

Last edited:

I’m not sure the graduation rate for UNCC says very much about the quality of the school. Seems like a reflection of the student demographics, which I presume includes more first generation students and lower wealth. UNC’s rate, for a better comparison, is 84%.

I’m not sure the graduation rate for UNCC says very much about the quality of the school. Seems like a reflection of the student demographics, which I presume includes more first generation students and lower wealth. UNC’s rate, for a better comparison, is 84%.

Brasky went to UNC-C. That's why Rafi used that school as an example.

Is it more of an accomplishment to be 1 of 29% or 1 of 88%? It must be asked.

Not sure graduation rates help your argument dude.

"Graduation rate in four years" is relevant because a student taking more than four years to graduate is paying extra tuition

Is it more of an accomplishment to be 1 of 29% or 1 of 88%? It must be asked.

Not sure graduation rates help your argument dude.

Are you saying someone who graduates from UNC-C in four years should get an extra pat on the back or something ?

Are you saying someone who graduates from UNC-C in four years should get an extra pat on the back or something ?

Statistically it’s about three times more of an achievement than graduating from Wake

So two extra pats should suffice

Sorry, I just rolled my eyes so hard they got stuck in the back of my head.

I've got noting against public universities or public schools in general. I just think Brasky's full of crap on this one.

It’s scientifically proven that it’s harder to graduate in four years when you have to do your own laundry.

Last edited:
"Graduation rate in four years" is relevant because a student taking more than four years to graduate is paying extra tuition

Correct. In addition, the 8 year graduation rate at UNCC is 57%, so there are a lot of students that pay a lot of tuition and never graduate.

Correct. In addition, the 8 year graduation rate at UNCC is 57%, so there are a lot of students that pay a lot of tuition and never graduate.

I don’t think the non-graduates are necessarily washing out of higher education. Many of them are probably transferring to finish somewhere else.

Back