• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Day Without Immigrants

That's a good question because I don't know that I would. Obviously, I don't share the view that obstructive, disruptive behavior is necessary or persuasive. I tend to think that our society is more welcoming than you guys do (especially when compared to a lot of societies in the present and certainly the past). I am more likely to be sympathetic to actual, real people in my life than sign-waiving strangers on t.v. yelling and calling me (also a stranger) a racist, for instance.

If pressed, I would highlight cases of abuse and injustice that are relatable to people. Not being able to drive to my job (where I work and pay taxes and benefits for myself and for others, including the protestors blocking my commute) is likely to be alienate my attention to their cause. Show me the mother of four who has worked, contributed and been a good citizen who becomes the dolphin in ICE's tuna net and you've got my attention. Remember that your audience doesn't share the protestors contentment with attention; they must be persuaded. Be persuasive rather than just loud. Loud is unpersuasive.

Her name is Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos and she was all over the news last week.

Her name is Guadalupe Garcia de Rayos and she was all over the news last week.

That was the case I was referring to. Hers is a far more compelling story than me being 15 minutes late to an unrelated meeting.

Back