• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Day Without Immigrants

This was and is correct. I regret your appalling lack of nuance and simpleton's insistence on a binary worldview. An uncouth vulgarity the likes of which are rarely seen outside the safe spaces of the ideological segregation known commonly as America's sociology departments.

Your continued conflation of ideology and party is concerning. I don't believe that Donald is a conservative, but he is absolutely a Republican. Why? Because the only requirement for being a "Republican" is joining the party.

This conflation issue is why people, whether it be intentionally or ignorantly, who say "Democrats are the party of the KKK and slavery!" with the point to cast poor moral standing upon the current members of the party miss the boat. Yes, Democrats were the party of the KKK and slavery but that doesn't mean that the modern-day version of the party, which now includes most progressives and liberals, were the ones in favor of it. The Democrats then were largely conservative in thought, which now is generally under the Republican umbrella.

You're a smart guy. Drop the charade.

I don't believe for one second that if the BLM movement took another name or a different approach that would be more palatable to white folks, there wouldn't be the same amount of criticism about some other part of their methods or underlying ideology.

I don't believe for one second that if the BLM movement took another name or a different approach that would be more palatable to white folks, there wouldn't be the same amount of criticism about some other part of their methods or underlying ideology.

Of course it wouldn't have mattered to those who oppose them.

I believe this protest was a missed opportunity for the public to experience the full brunt of this change. Another poorly executed, ineffectual demonstration, borne of emotion and ultimately toothless. I am sure it felt great, though. The Ghosts of November continue to haunt.

I believe this protest was a missed opportunity for the public to experience the full brunt of this change. Another poorly executed, ineffectual demonstration, borne of emotion and ultimately toothless. I am sure it felt great, though. The Ghosts of November continue to haunt.

I can only imagine what your social and political commentary during the 60's and 70's during the Civil Rights Movement would have sounded and read like.

"Not taking buses to work? How does that impact me as a white male? Another ineffectual demonstration since it doesn't impact me. Probably just too lazy to go to their job and use the bus boycott as an excuse."

Your continued conflation of ideology and party is concerning. I don't believe that Donald is a conservative, but he is absolutely a Republican. Why? Because the only requirement for being a "Republican" is joining the party.

This conflation issue is why people, whether it be intentionally or ignorantly, who say "Democrats are the party of the KKK and slavery!" with the point to cast poor moral standing upon the current members of the party miss the boat. Yes, Democrats were the party of the KKK and slavery but that doesn't mean that the modern-day version of the party, which now includes most progressives and liberals, were the ones in favor of it. The Democrats then were largely conservative in thought, which now is generally under the Republican umbrella.

You're a smart guy. Drop the charade.

Seriously. It would make reading the boards much more interesting. Have a conservative view point. Please. The best thing about these boards is the different view points. But the snark and condescending tone are old and tired.

JH finds another acorn

Every single JHMD post feels like a kid who has learned new words and wants to use them in a sentence no matter if they fit correctly.

I can only imagine what your social and political commentary during the 60's and 70's during the Civil Rights Movement would have sounded and read like.

What if the ineffective protest is actually ineffective? Are we allowed to say something, or no? If you say a protest is ineffective, that simply must mean you are also a racist. Because childish people insist it must be so.

Let me know when you figure out why American voters stopped trusting your party with power.

Every single JHMD post feels like a kid who has learned new words and wants to use them in a sentence no matter if they fit correctly.

It's going to be a long run to maturity for you, isn't it?

What if the ineffective protest is actually ineffective? Are we allowed to say something, or no? If you say a protest is ineffective, that simply must mean you are also a racist. Because childish people insist it must be so.

Let me know when you figure out why American voters stopped trusting your party with power.

What types of protests are effective in your mind? Can you name a recent one that you thought was effective? Why was it effective?

Nowhere did I mention that you were a racist. I do believe that there has been an incredible whitewashing of history that causes everybody to wind up on the right side of history. It's very rare to hear people say "oh I was one of those folks at the schools yelling at the black girl as she was walked into a integrated school for the first time." It's easy to look back on that time now and say "well obviously integration was the right thing to do, and people on the other side were absolute monsters", yet when we are living in a time where there are also protests for rights (BLM, immigrants, LGBTQ), there are quite clearly people on the other side of the argument who deem every protest and movement as "ineffective" because it doesn't fit their liking of how, where, what, and when people should protest.

Also, I don't have a party. I'm registered as unaffiliated.

Last edited:
What types of protests are effective in your mind? Can you name a recent one that you thought was effective? Why was it effective?

Also, I don't have a party. I'm registered as unaffiliated.

Let's start with the intended audience. In this case, who was it? How were they impacted? What response will this gesture stimulate?

eta: Let's take me for instance. I'm an evil, puppy-kicking, hetero, protestant white cis-male who wasn't With Her(TM). The worst of the absolute worst. My non-Randolph County life didn't change at all yesterday. I got up, thought evil thoughts, bathed in my privilege and waited for the world to build my business for me. State fired their coach, I had leftovers for dinner (chicken parm...it tasted so good), watched Moonshiners on DVR, walked the dog and went to bed. I wouldn't have known about this toothless, feel-good gesture if it were not the coverage of it, and only then gave the entire charade a shrug. If I was the audience, opportunity missed. Hell, backfire complete because once I found out about it, I noticed that I didn't notice.

Last edited:
Let's start with the intended audience. In this case, who was it? How were they impacted? What response will this gesture stimulate?

Ok, I'll play your game, but you need to answer my questions too instead of just flipping it.

If you are referencing yesterday then I have the following answers:

1. It was for people who do not realize that they are surrounded and reliant on immigrants in their day-to-day lives and don't even realize the value they bring.
2. Hopefully through the reporting of the media on it, the anecdotal evidence of people experiencing a disruption in their day, and the discussion surrounding immigrants taking the day off, it will raise awareness to people who do not realize that they are surrounded by immigrants (see answer 1).
3. I have no idea what the "gesture will stimulate", but it will hopefully bring awareness to people about the involvement of immigrants in this country.

True, but there would be less annoying consistent bitching about the name.

Seems if the protests don't impact people's lives, they say they're ineffective and if the protests inconvenience people's lives, those same people say "I feel worse about the movement now because it made me sit in traffic for an hour when I normally get home in time to catch King of Queens on syndication."

True, but there would be less annoying consistent bitching about the name.

We have discussed this before, but arguing about what they are named instead of looking at the movement behind the name is an easy way to just avoid the conversation altogether and make it about semantics instead of substance. Could the name be better? Obviously since people are choosing to just focus on that. Does that mean that you (global you) should ignore the movement altogether because you disagree with the name? I don't think so.

Ok, I'll play your game, but you need to answer my questions too instead of just flipping it.

If you are referencing yesterday then I have the following answers:

1. It was for people who do not realize that they are surrounded and reliant on immigrants in their day-to-day lives and don't even realize the value they bring.
2. Hopefully through the reporting of the media on it, the anecdotal evidence of people experiencing a disruption in their day, and the discussion surrounding immigrants taking the day off, it will raise awareness to people who do not realize that they are surrounded by immigrants (see answer 1).
3. I have no idea what the "gesture will stimulate", but it will hopefully bring awareness to people about the involvement of immigrants in this country.

Obviously, my edit and your response crossed in Cyber-ia. In my anecdotal (but not uncommon) case, mehburger. That's the problem with protests.

If you want to change something, get really good at something and demand attention. You will get it. Average shmucks like YHC are the populace in the stage production of life. Even were I inconvenienced, I'm one vote in a purple state, and even I don't matter. Getting really good at something, though, has worked for thousands of years. Taking a day off of work is a step in the wrong direction.

Back