• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

A Day Without Immigrants

ELC, my commie-loving brother, Drake hereby bequeaths you this L. Please taketh it and shuteth the fucketh up.

CJq5F17WwAAZhY4.jpg

Let's be fair. There is not a protest you would support at this point.

And I love the argument "if I didn't agree with these people, their protest would not change my mind!" Do you think a lot of white Alabamans' views were changed when Dr. King marched across the bridge? That's not the point of a protest.

There are plenty of protests I would support. I would even support an immigration based protest, but a one day work absence isn't going to move the needle. If you are going to protest, then do it. Quit for a month. Hat is what changed America with the civil rights movement. They were willing to go all the way. Half measures don't work.

I would support a non violent black lives matter. I had no issue with OWS, they were pretty committed, disciplined and raised a lot of awareness.

I like the idea behind this protest to be honest. I get it. I don't think the means are going to be effective. In fact I think it is going to do the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
http://www.politifact.com/punditfact/statements/2014/jul/15/lou-dobbs/lou-dobbs-obama-administration-manipulated-deporta/

"But is the change in tactics a manipulation of data? Experts we talked to said no.

"Under these previous administrations, they would have been voluntarily returned, not formally removed," Brown said. "Now they are formally removed."

"Transferring of people from Border Patrol to ICE is not trying to trick the numbers," said Alex Nowrasteh, a Cato Institute immigration policy analyst. "It’s a result of punishing illegal immigrants more heavily than they did before."

Our ruling

Dobbs said the federal government "manipulated deportation data to make it appear that the Border Patrol was deporting more illegal immigrants than the Bush administration."

Deportations or "removals" under Obama are tracking higher than during the Bush years using the most literal deportation statistics, as well as those solely from ICE. Dobbs’ contention that the Obama administration is inflating its number is an interpretation of a change in federal policy to process and remove people trying to enter the country illegally rather than just turn them around. Whether you agree with the policy, those formal removals are occurring.

That strategy is rooted in previous administrations but was accelerated by Obama so that people trying to cross the border illegally face more significant consequences and receive formal deportation orders."

iFYeSMi.gif

Last edited:
think ELC is right that most of Obama's deportations were within 100 miles of the border, and border deportations used to not be counted in stats, but that practice started near the end of GWB's term so that those aliens would have an official deportation on their record.

In all seriousness I'm not sure I understand the distinction here between the two.

If I am reading the chart correctly, the number of people deported because there was an order to do so, went up. What does the "return" category mean? I read the bottom and it didn't clarify it for me.

Returns are apprehensions at the border where they just turn them around and return them. Removals (what used to be called deportations) are a more formal process. Obama started processing a lot of returns as removals. Now, granted, there was more of a process involved there than there had before, but you're basically picking from a big pool, removing them all under the same section of law so that it's pretty much cut and paste, and sending them back. It's not like there was a great big convoluted process to follow like there is with your usual removals where you're issuing a notice to appear, setting court dates, etc...

Shoo, I've read that Politifact article before and they go get administration sources and a Cato Institute guy (the CI is pretty much all about open borders with their libertarian/pro-business bent). Their own statistics don't even support their conclusion. At worse, it's a half truth what Dobbs said.

"Transferring of people from Border Patrol to ICE is not trying to trick the numbers," said Alex Nowrasteh, a Cato Institute immigration policy analyst. "It’s a result of punishing illegal immigrants more heavily than they did before."

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...declined-in-2014-but-remain-near-record-high/

Data from ICE represent only a part of all deportations carried out by DHS and do not include deportations by U.S. Customs and Border Enforcement

There are plenty of protests I would support. I would even support an immigration based protest, but a one day work absence isn't going to move the needle. If you are going to protest, then do it. Quit for a month. Hat is what changed America with the civil rights movement. They were willing to go all the way. Half measures don't work.

I would support a non violent black lives matter. I had no issue with OWS, they were pretty committed, disciplined and raised a lot of awareness.

I like the idea behind this protest to be honest. I get it. I don't think the means are going to be effective. In fact I think it is going to do the exact opposite.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So you support Black Lives Matter.

Back