• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aaron Curry on OTL now

Oh so you meant it in a completely different way than the original meaning.

I guess. I meant a lot of students wouldn't be at Wake if not for the basketball. That's not a legit point?

Go to the Joel and look in the rafters for a worse representative. He'll have a #5 near his name.

Seriously? Howard has definitely done some stupid things but he is far from being WFU's worst athlete/alumni representative.

I would take JHo over AC any day...at least JHo supports his alma mater and supported his student - athlete peers when he was a student.

Saying Josh is "mildly retarded " is just nasty and wrong. I have had the opportunity to work with and have conversation with him at several different events, and there is nothing "mildly retarded" about him. Maybe he scored poorly on his SAT and had a poor HS transcript, but he did graduate from WFU, and unless you are insinuating that we run a program akin to that of UNC, he earned his degree.

I would say that Mike Helms would be the worst WFU student - athlete representative, only because his story was covered so closely by the media. I am sure that there is someone worse than him or anyone mentioned on this thread, though.

Seriously? Howard has definitely done some stupid things but he is far from being WFU's worst athlete/alumni representative.

I would take JHo over AC any day...at least JHo supports his alma mater and supported his student - athlete peers when he was a student.

Saying Josh is "mildly retarded " is just nasty and wrong. I have had the opportunity to work with and have conversation with him at several different events, and there is nothing "mildly retarded" about him. Maybe he scored poorly on his SAT and had a poor HS transcript, but he did graduate from WFU, and unless you are insinuating that we run a program akin to that of UNC, he earned his degree.

I would say that Mike Helms would be the worst WFU student - athlete representative, only because his story was covered so closely by the media. I am sure that there is someone worse than him or anyone mentioned on this thread, though.

I agree with all of this. Josh and his family were and are such great representatives of Wake.

Don't get me wrong; I love our mild retards the best, but if you think we run our program any differently than UNC or any other Div 1 school, you are crazy. Don't let your gold and black glasses obscure reality.

Don't get me wrong; I love our mild retards the best, but if you think we run our program any differently than UNC or any other Div 1 school, you are crazy. Don't let your gold and black glasses obscure reality.

I don't know who you are, nor do I care, but I will respond to your ignorant post only because this is a message board since I would never acknowledge stupidity as great yours in real life. I can 100% guarantee you that Wake Forest University does not operate their athletic department in the same manner that UNC does.

If anything, our athletic department suffers because the AD expects too much from our student -athletes. If you ask ANY coach at WFU, they will tell you that our standards, when compared to other schools, cause us to operate under self-imposed sanctions.

I guess. I meant a lot of students wouldn't be at Wake if not for the basketball. That's not a legit point?

I think the point was the players wouldn't be here because they aren't qualified for wake as a normal student. Not that they would have gone to Davidson but decided to play at wake.

So which of our academic departments is a complete and utter fraud designed to keep athletes eligible?

I took a few classes in the Sociology department. They were easy, but you did have to do actual work. So that's not the right answer.

I think the point was the players wouldn't be here because they aren't qualified for wake as a normal student. Not that they would have gone to Davidson but decided to play at wake.

And I said that a lot of students came to Wake because of the basketball that those players play, so what is the problem?

And I said that a lot of students came to Wake because of the basketball that those players play, so what is the problem?

I don't think there is a problem, I was just making sure it wasn't an extension of the same argument/point.

Yeah there aren't many places to hide athletes at Wake. I'm sure we have our issues academically but I took classes in nearly every major that people might consider a "gimme" and you have to do your work in all of them. Comm is probably the easiest place to hide and Sociology has some classes/professors that could qualify but you still have to do the work. You can't just write about poultry farming.

You know, we bring in a few basketball players a year out of how many admissions? And a lot of those guys graduate or come back and walk. All this talk is just that. Same goes for football for the most part. I think we do the best we can. We get maybe, maybe, a questionable admission like James Johnson every few years but lets get real.

Back