• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aaron Judge - New HR Champ

For those interested, here's the best article I've seen trying to quantify the value of Ohtani filling two roles but only taking up one roster spot. It's important, but maybe less so than some of you would like to believe.

Yeah but are any of ‘em good photogs?

@birdman don't read this
Please remove this article. It refers to Randy Johnson as a Mariners and Diamondbacks great, totally erasing his tenure with the Yankees. The anti-Yankee media bias and general Yankee hate is out of control. Figures given this thread.

I don't think anyone would be as defensive about Ohtani if this was how the conversation followed. It's not surprising that folks are digging in when it's said that Ohtani is only an above average player and to say otherwise is irrational Yankee hate. I'm going to argue it at this point because it is such an absurd, dismissive take.
Yeah, I don't even care about the MVP debate but when Pop said Ohtani was just an above average pitcher on a below average team, I had to look up the stats to see if the hype train had left the station. Turns out, it was just a dumb statement.

No he wasn't nor would he need to be. But it would have been nice if he was greater than 4th in ANY hitting category.

HR's (4). Total Bases (5) Runs Created (5) Slugging % (6) On Base Plus Slugging % (6) RBI's. (7) Runs Scored (8)
Hits (>10) Offensive WAR (>10) On Base % (>10)
But wait, he can pitch.
Yes, the fact that he is a top 3-4 pitcher putting up those stats is incredible and anybody not braindead would realize how impressive of MVP stats those would be.

Well there's a pretty huge gap between top 10-15 hitter and top 1 hitter in the AL this season, but yeah I hear your point. As I stated pages ago on this thread, I'm not upset with anyone that thinks Ohtani should win it, there's a case to be made there.

It's just interesting to me because nearly all the baseball MVP voters (who are mostly legitimate baseball reporters) side on the Judge side of this debate, and seemingly every MLB fan in this thread is on the Ohtani side.
Pitchers have won the MVP. I think the fact that Ohtani won last year and the incredible offensive numbers that Judge has put up (and honestly being a Yankee helps) will push him over, but the fact that if Ohtani is a top 5-10 pitcher and hitter every year it should take an incredible year to beat him any year.

wake me up when Judge wins the triple crown

Oh look MLB juiced the balls for Judge

But perhaps even more interesting than the apparent existence of the third ball itself is where we tended to find it. Though the overwhelming majority of baseballs we obtained were dead, 36 of them fit the bill for what Wills dubbed the "Goldilocks ball:" not too heavy, not too light — but just right. Of those, we found most in one of three situations:

• Postseason games, including the World Series;

• The All-Star Game and Home Run Derby;

• Regular-season games that used balls with special commemorative stamps — such as a Texas Rangers 50th anniversary ball — on the outer leather.

The only Goldilocks balls we obtained from the regular season that did not have commemorative stamps were from Yankees games.

Back