• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

the worst thing that could happen to republicans politically is if they somehow passed this piece of shit.

If the people who voted for Republicans and Trump were the only ones who would suffer - I'd be all for it.

There's just no price to pay politically. I feel like if you used to do terrible, stupid, dishonest shit, voters would notice and throw you out of office. That just doesn't happen anymore. The GOP could fuck most of its base right up the ass in favor of the top 1% and they'd take it and vote GOP smiling at the polls the following election.

Obamacare has problems. Some people in the middle class are getting squeezed out of their ability to pay for higher premiums because of the shifting risk pools, and they don't qualify for subsidies to help defray the costs. Some small businesses can't handle the changing cost structure. Fix the fucking bill without giving handouts to the richest fucking people in America. Nobody talks about all the handouts the rich get - it's a different kind of welfare, but it's handout all the same to people who need it the least. Poor babies being taxed on their $500,000+ of salary. How are they going to pay for that yacht fuel?

GOP - stop being hypocritical, lying pussies and do what you said you were going to do for seven years and take away insurance from the poor, sick, and needy - and then pay the political price.

Well, they could you know buy insurance vs, waiting until they are sick.

Or they could wait until they have a job to buy something they aren't sure they will need.

Health insurance is a pretty low health care priority for a healthy person especially one without a job.

The AMA came out against the GREATEST HEALTHCARE BILL OF ALL TIME (didn't they read the name?).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ama-oppose-obamacare-repeal-bill_us_58c010c2e4b0d1078ca2a977?

The American Medical Association just announced that it “cannot support” the Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

The AMA announced its opposition in a letter Wednesday morning, hours before two House committees were set to mark up repeal legislation. It comes one day after a slew of patient advocacy and health industry groups including the American Hospital Association announced they were against the House GOP bill ― and it’s one more sign of political trouble for the Republican repeal effort.

“While we agree that there are problems with the ACA that must be addressed, we cannot support the AHCA as drafted because of the expected decline in health insurance coverage and the potential harm it would cause to vulnerable patient populations,” AMA chief executive James Madara said in the letter.

In the detailed letter, Madara raises objections to the key pillars of the Republican plan, including a rollback of the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion. “Medicaid expansion has proven highly successful in providing coverage for lower income individuals,” he said, making a point that a variety of public health researchers have.

Or they could wait until they have a job to buy something they aren't sure they will need.

Health insurance is a pretty low health care priority for a healthy person especially one without a job.

The issue we are trying to fix is people buying when they are sick. You might be surprised where it falls on the priority list. Its actually quite high for those who lose it when the leave their job.

The AMA came out against the GREATEST HEALTHCARE BILL OF ALL TIME (didn't they read the name?).

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/ama-oppose-obamacare-repeal-bill_us_58c010c2e4b0d1078ca2a977?

The American Medical Association just announced that it “cannot support” the Republican bill to repeal the Affordable Care Act.

The AMA announced its opposition in a letter Wednesday morning, hours before two House committees were set to mark up repeal legislation. It comes one day after a slew of patient advocacy and health industry groups including the American Hospital Association announced they were against the House GOP bill ― and it’s one more sign of political trouble for the Republican repeal effort.

“While we agree that there are problems with the ACA that must be addressed, we cannot support the AHCA as drafted because of the expected decline in health insurance coverage and the potential harm it would cause to vulnerable patient populations,” AMA chief executive James Madara said in the letter.

In the detailed letter, Madara raises objections to the key pillars of the Republican plan, including a rollback of the Affordable Care Act’s Medicaid expansion. “Medicaid expansion has proven highly successful in providing coverage for lower income individuals,” he said, making a point that a variety of public health researchers have.

Not surprising. Who won in the ACA? Docs and hospitals. So their trade orgs are big fans, All bout the benjamins,

yes, the popular part of the ACA was that anyone could get insurance with pre-existing conditions. the unpopular part was the individual mandate. but they go hand in hand, you can't have the first part without the second part or you wreak havoc on costs. the 30% enrollment hike is a half-assed way to try to enforce an individual mandate-ish incentive that won't be effective.... and will actually have the counter effect of having ONLY sick people paying the 30% hike.

Not surprising. Who won in the ACA? Docs and hospitals. So their trade orgs are big fans, All bout the benjamins,

I'll take doctors' side over insurance companies' 11/10 times.

The issue we are trying to fix is people buying when they are sick. You might be surprised where it falls on the priority list. Its actually quite high for those who lose it when the leave their job.

Compared to food, shelter, medicine, and the costs incurred to get another job such as transportation? No.

Compared to food, shelter, medicine, and the costs incurred to get another job such as transportation? No.

Sure. But we sell a lot of insurance to peope between jobs. Trust me on this.

I'll take doctors' side over insurance companies' 11/10 times.

Which is one big reason we have a health care cost crises in this country and is a bit shortsighted....We should be looking at what the most cost efficent treatment plan is. That takes both docs, patients and payers. It never ceases to amaze me that people miss the huge profit incentives providers have to over deliver care. I have access to a data set which measures (on a risk adjusted basis) the efficiency (cost and quality) of prviers. Amazing at the distribution. Literally docs across the strett from one another have hugely different scores.

People hated HMOs but you know what? They worked in a lot of ways (and had some issues too for sure). Medicare Advanthge works well too.

It drives me nuts when I heard RWers say health care should solely be between you and your doctor. They miss it should also be the people that pay for the care, whomever that may be (employer, insurer, government, etc).

yes, the popular part of the ACA was that anyone could get insurance with pre-existing conditions. the unpopular part was the individual mandate. but they go hand in hand, you can't have the first part without the second part or you wreak havoc on costs. the 30% enrollment hike is a half-assed way to try to enforce an individual mandate-ish incentive that won't be effective.... and will actually have the counter effect of having ONLY sick people paying the 30% hike.

I follow a social policy wonk named Jon Walker who has been posting about the CBO score for the obamacare mandate. Apparently the CBO determined way back in 2010 that the mandate would be no more effective than the premium penalty.

The medical directors (also doctors) determine what is and is not covered by insurance regarding best practices and medical necessity. It helps keep costs in check for everybody. It is about the only (cost) check providers have. Insurance companies have DOI oversight and their profit margins are <5%. Providers have no state oversight analogous to the DOI, and their profit margins are magnitudes greater. If you and your doctor want to try procedures that are not covered by insurance, then you are free to pay for it outside of insurance. But you would probably respond that denying payment is de facto denying the procedure because it is so expensive. Which gets to my point about the article....

When you read the article, you'll see that hospital billing is so inflated that they could cover many uninsured for every one insured and still make a healthy profit ($284 for an X-ray that costs $20 for Medicare (cost + small margin)). They could give 10 X-rays for $200 and still be well under $284. Here is the real shitty thing they do: If you can't pay for your $284 X-ray, they sometimes won't negotiate any hardship discount for you. They'll sell your overdue account to a debt collection agency for $.10 on the dollar and still get more than Medicare would pay. Now that is markup! Debt collectors will then grind you for the whole $284. This and more is in the article.

Sure. But we sell a lot of insurance to peope between jobs. Trust me on this.

Oh no doubt. But I'm sure those people can afford it.

I follow a social policy wonk named Jon Walker who has been posting about the CBO score for the obamacare mandate. Apparently the CBO determined way back in 2010 that the mandate would be no more effective than the premium penalty.

I think this is pretty accurate from what Ive seen. At least payers will get 30% more from the cheaters. Very few people just decide now is the time to buy.

Back