• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Need to repeal Obamacare now with an effective end date of Dec 2019 (assuming it can survive that long). That gives time to craft a replacement. If no deal can be made, we are still better off with no deal than Obamacare.

This plan seems like Obamacare with modest changes that do not really address cost. Hope it does not pass. Will just be another giant clusterfuck.

Typical loser post. Rather than making it about the post make it about me. What this does is illustrate your weakness not mine.

Yeah Mr 49k+. Rather than contributing something constructive, you continue to post in a stream of consciousness about all things. You are the jack of all trades, master of none.

So, explain to me how tacking rates even more towards age and dropping subsidies by close to 60% according to the legislation will allow more people 45+ to the market. It's called using common sense and the basic rules of business.

Who do you believe a corporate shill whose livelihood is engaged or the most basic of common sense.

The shill references never gets old!

Park subsidies for second as I think hey will get adjusted. Thats what I hear from the insiders.

If we focus on the age curve for a moment, when you spread it from 3:1 to 5:1, by default you will have a lot of price decreases in the lower age bands. Thats an actuarial fact. When you factor in selection, the average rate goes down as more healthy people enter the pool. 3:1 was always an issue as the younger folks simple subsidized the older market. That and a weal mandate spelled doom.

We also need to focus on he high risk pools. Those are so key. There's a lot of issues here but the idea of trying to LOWER premiums is 100% spot on. The ACA dis the exact opposite then hide it through subsidies.

I didn't say anything about lower ages. All I spoke about was pricing 45/50+ out of the market.

I think the problem with Obamacare and any plan relying on younger pools to enter the market place is that the insurance companies and legislators are missing the psychological mindset of young people. Young people don't give a shit about things like healthcare until they get deathly ill. I don't even know what price point would make them enter but it's no where near what any of these plans are unless you are already chronically ill. With the out of pocket cost and ease of access to walk in clinics the incentive is even less than it was in the past. For a group that prides itself in considering outside variables they seem to be missing this huge one with these plans.

Some truth to that. But the only way you make a GI no pre-ex market work is to get as low prices for Under 40 YOs. A lot of research shows if you can get it close to $0 post tax credit they will buy. I've also long advocated for the opt out program.

The problem I have with most plans and especially republican plans is it has no longer term thinking. You want two mandates that save ungodly amounts of money, preventive care mandates and end of life care mandates. Cover screenings and make them mandatory to have insurance, cover end of life care where a plan must be in place to carry insurance. Write it up, I just saved more money than any plan these morons have come up with.

Your post was 4 sentences. For it to be an effective plan, you should have spent at least 2 of those sentences making sure people who have won the lottery won't be covered.

Last edited:
The problem I have with most plans and especially republican plans is it has no longer term thinking. You want two mandates that save ungodly amounts of money, preventive care mandates and end of life care mandates. Cover screenings and make them mandatory to have insurance, cover end of life care where a plan must be in place to carry insurance. Write it up, I just saved more money than any plan these morons have come up with.

I like the theme here of tying insurance to some action. We have adherence programs but they are all carrot driven.

We also need to get consumers engaged and invested in care delivery.

I like the theme here of tying insurance to some action. We have adherence programs but they are all carrot driven.

We also need to get consumers engaged and invested in care delivery.

Yeah its adding penalties but not penalties for anything but your own fault. People love the comparison to other insurances like car insurances and there your costs go up when you are at fault. Here don't penalize people from getting sick but penalize for not following things that keep costs down. Don't get your annual preventive check, rate goes up. Don't have your end of life care in order rate goes up or you are dropped. Add penalties to go along with incentives.

Yeah its adding penalties but not penalties for anything but your own fault. People love the comparison to other insurances like car insurances and there your costs go up when you are at fault. Here don't penalize people from getting sick but penalize for not following things that keep costs down. Don't get your annual preventive check, rate goes up. Don't have your end of life care in order rate goes up or you are dropped. Add penalties to go along with incentives.

The proposed enrollment penalty is a tiny step. Tiny.

the enrollment penalty in place of the individual mandate seems like a terrible, terrible idea if the goal is to push young healthy people into insurance pools to keep costs down. only sick people will pay it which will lead to higher premiums and even less incentive for the young and healthy to enroll.

if healthy people just naturally thought about future consequences and bought insurance before they needed it we wouldn't need any legislation. it's not like if the fear of death didn't get them to sign up, that an eventual 30% premium hike will send them running to insurers. the opposite probably once they have to pay that penalty.

What disheartens me so much about the modern GOP is that they won't just stand on the merit of their policies/proposals. They try to rush the bill before the CBO can score it; they drafted the repeal/replace bill in secret whereas Obamacare was passed with a full and open vetting process, etc.

They try to hide, obfuscate, and/or misrepresent the true impact and nature of their policies. It's really, really immoral and terrible.

Without a public option - the overall policy perspective is really fucking simple (not necessarily the law/details). Unless they develop a way to incentivize younger, healthier people to buy insurance to balance out the risk pools, this will not work. Or at least, it won't work in a way that doesn't screw people out of their insurance or slam the sicker/older people who really need coverage.

the worst thing that could happen to republicans politically is if they somehow passed this piece of shit.

Back