• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

Better here or NC thread? Just, ugh. It's 1/6 of the economy!

1 million jobs on the line as Senate votes on health care

Since Obamacare went into full effect in 2014, 1.2 million people have gained employment in health care. Most of the jobs have come in hospitals and outpatient care where people are treated for non-emergencies. Many hospitals, such as Harris Medical Center in Newport, Ark., have seen their “bad debts” drop substantially since more patients have been able to pay since Obamacare was enacted. At Harris, bad debt has been cut in half. That has allowed hospitals to expand services — and jobs.

Better here or NC thread? Just, ugh. It's 1/6 of the economy!

Neither Burr nor Tillis have even attempted to make a substantive, merits-based argument in favor of any of these bills. Well, I guess neither has anyone in the Republican Party for that matter. Pathetic.

Reading between the lines on Trump's tweets and McCain coming back I unfortunately think the Pubs have the 50 votes needed for today.

Supposedly, there is a #4 "plan". It will only get rid of individual and business mandates and one or two other things.

The system collapses without the mandate. Then you're just stuck with a law with no teeth and no evidence that we're remotely close to passing a new law. But hey they can say they repealed the ACA!

Collapse the system then the dems will have to come to the table to get it back. The ART of the deal.

Supposedly, there is a #4 "plan". It will only get rid of individual and business mandates and one or two other things.

The CBO has already scored a very similar plan to the "skinny repeal" of the mandate back in 2016. 15 million people lose insurance and premiums spike 20%. LINK

Also important to note that this plan actually keeps in place all of the ACAs insurance regs.

Collapse the system then the dems will have to come to the table to get it back. The ART of the deal.

The Democrats will absolutely not do anything to work with Republicans on this after the past 8+ years of the reverse, nor should they.

The CBO has already scored a very similar plan to the "skinny repeal" of the mandate back in 2016. 15 million people lose insurance and premiums spike 20%. LINK

Also important to note that this plan actually keeps in place all of the ACAs insurance regs.

How much do we save? Do premiums go up for groups 20%?

The Democrats will absolutely not do anything to work with Republicans on this after the past 8+ years of the reverse, nor should they.

So you don't hold your elected officials to a higher standard. Interesting position.

So you don't hold your elected officials to a higher standard. Interesting position.

I did for several years, but it has become pretty clear that Republicans are playing by absolutely different rules, so at some point the Democrats have to get a backbone.

If the Republicans repeal a fully functioning healthcare system with literally no idea of what they would replace it with then I would say that is a good time to just walk away from the table and say "good luck" to the Republicans. The Pubs have had absolutely no success at all in showing that they can legislate or lead. The only thing they can do is say "do the opposite of Democrats". They have no plans at all right now, yet are looking to repeal the ACA because they think they are mandated by the people who elected them to do so.

They don't give a damn about the people that it impacts, or the fact that all of their "plans" are much, much worse than what is currently in place. When I see a blatant lack of regard for essentially human life and healthcare I think it's acceptable to just say fuck it and let them run themselves into the ground for the next two years. There is nothing Democrats can do about it right now anyway given the numbers in the Senate.

I think they're trying to save money because we're broke.

I don't think killing people off by leaving millions more uninsured than are right now is an acceptable proposition.

Republicans don't really care about the deficit, as they continue to run up the deficit when they are in office. They just don't want Democrats spending money.

I don't think killing people off by leaving millions more uninsured than are right now is an acceptable proposition.

Republicans don't really care about the deficit, as they continue to run up the deficit when they are in office. They just don't want Democrats spending money.

Wars are expensive

Democrats aren't going to help GOP destroy the bill democrats passed in the first place. "Hey we can't get a plan even though we can pass something without your help but why don't you jump in and help us destroy what you guys passed!"

Back