• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

You laugh but a lot of people felt that way. Turned my mom from a Dem to a Pub while I was at college.

You're arguing my point.

Republicans are fine with spending money when it's their idea and turn to spend money. They are not fine when it's the Democrats ideas/turn to spend money.

The CBO has already scored a very similar plan to the "skinny repeal" of the mandate back in 2016. 15 million people lose insurance and premiums spike 20%. LINK

Also important to note that this plan actually keeps in place all of the ACAs insurance regs.

So, after complaining forever that the ACA increases premiums, the Republicans are going to go with a bill that further increases premiums?

How much do we save? Do premiums go up for groups 20%?

They don't comment on group premiums, only the non-group market. As far as the savings go, there's a bit of tasty irony there (I'm sure someone will tell me this isn't actually irony, but whatever). The CBO projects this type of skinny repeal saves money precisely because so many people get kicked off Medicaid that it decreases federal outlays by almost $300 billion in Medicaid spending alone. Of course, Pubs have been screaming that the CBO is wrong and people won't lose coverage. But in this case, they need those projections to be correct to show deficit reduction in order to pass this under budget reconciliation.

So, after complaining forever that the ACA increases premiums, the Republicans are going to go with a bill that further increases premiums?

Getting back to the ACA/vote today...it's pretty clear that Republicans don't give a damn about what is actually passed or could be passed. The only thing they care about is repealing the ACA because it's ObamaCare and what they have been running on for the past few years.

They don't care if what they come up with is worse than the ACA because it's not ObamaCare anymore.
They don't care if it leaves millions more uninsured.
They don't care if premiums go up.

The only thing they care about is repealing the current law. Which is absolutely despicable.

If you could ask voters who put these people into office I am nearly positive most of them wanted the ACA repealed with something suitable/better to replace it. I highly doubt many of them just wanted the thing repealed with "a law to be named later."

It's like you guys have learned nothing, the republicans can do anything they want because they are masters of spin and bullshit. Fuck it's not even spin anymore it's just straight lies. They will repeal, their base will get fucked hard, they will be told its democrats fault even though it's Obamacare they are losing, then shiny guns, bibles, and people that don't look white will be brought out for optimal distraction and boom power is retained. This country is dumb as shit, collectively a bunch of dumb dumbs that if lived elsewhere would have drown in a puddle or eaten by a lion by now.

It's like you guys have learned nothing, the republicans can do anything they want because they are masters of spin and bullshit. Fuck it's not even spin anymore it's just straight lies. They will repeal, their base will get fucked hard, they will be told its democrats fault even though it's Obamacare they are losing, then shiny guns, bibles, and people that don't look white will be brought out for optimal distraction and boom power is retained. This country is dumb as shit, collectively a bunch of dumb dumbs that if lived elsewhere would have drown in a puddle or eaten by a lion by now.

...and this is why I don't really care if Democrats do anything to try to actually "play by the rules" or help out.

People are stupid, and Republicans especially have tapped into that base with Trump, senators, and just outright bullshit.

Reality, facts, statistics...none of it matters anymore, and Republicans know that.

@palma --- why do you think most folks in rural areas are against Obamacare?

I don't think it's their impressive knowledge of the ins and outs of the Affordable Care Act that allowed them to run estimates to determine if they were getting good coverage or not.

+10000000000

You know how we could greatly lower healthcare costs in America? Changing policies that favor the GMOs and the industrial agriculture/meat production complex. But guess who Monsanto donates to predominantly in its lobbying efforts: Republicans.

For 2016, Total Contributions from this PAC to federal candidates: $423,000
(23% to Democrats, 77% to Republicans)

Interestingly, Monsanto only started really getting into agriculture in the 1980's. Since 2000, it is exclusively agriculture.

My gut says you are right. There is at least a little evidence that people will blame them though. LINK

DFa6veRXoAAptvN.jpg:large

Back