• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

I have access to buy a $40M home in Bel Air. It's "affordable" for Sandra Bullock. That doesn't mean it's affordable to me or anyone on the board.

Is the idea that obamacare was rapidly passed one of the better misleading right wing talking points. Like every single conservative thinks this is true.

Rapidly passing something and not reading/knowing what you are voting on are two completely different concepts. Yet like every single liberal confuses them.

Besides "saving" federal money which is going straight back into the pile for military spending anyone want to take a stab at how the new healthcare bill is good?

I haven't seen anyone attempt to defend the bill on its merits. Even online the only defense of it is "well it's not the ACA"

It's amazingly brazen to continue to lie like this. We have the text of the bill, we can see that it's a lie. It's also telling how the news outlets are covering this. The vast majority of media outlets, center and left, are all reporting the facts: that despite what they are telling you, this bill does not protect those with pre-existing conditions from what could be enormous premium increases. But conservative media outlets like the Washington Examiner, Newsmax, and Breitbart are only reporting that Trump and Cassidy are saying that those with pre-existing are protected. They aren't reporting what the bill says, just the word of Trump as gospel. It's not like it's a mystery bill, we literally have the text, and they won't report on that.

They are going to try to get over on this on a technicality. From what I've read the bill still prevents insurers from denying coverage to those with preexisting conditions, but doesn't stop them from raising premiums through the roof or putting lifetime caps on them. Individual states could decide to allow insurers to do just that, which we all know is a defacto elimination of coverage of preexisting conditions. It's about messaging...democrats need to draw attention to those details.

I haven't seen anyone attempt to defend the bill on its merits. Even online the only defense of it is "well it's not the ACA"

The GOP campaigned so long on repealing the ACA that they have no choice but to embrace a bad bill.

Democrats should be secretly hoping this does pass, because they need a non-social wedge issue to hammer republicans with over the next couple elections. People actually losing healthcare would be tough to run against.

The GOP campaigned so long on repealing the ACA that they have no choice but to embrace a bad bill.

Democrats should be secretly hoping this does pass, because they need a non-social wedge issue to hammer republicans with over the next couple elections. People actually losing healthcare would be tough to run against.

Your post above about the pre-existing semantics is right absolutely right. It's unclear to me if the Republicans know the semantic game they are playing or are just completely ignorant about the bill. I'm sure Trump has no clue other than what Cassidy has told him. And I hear you about Dems hoping it passes for future election purposes, but it would just hurt so many people in the mean time that I think you have no choice to fight against it as hard as you can.

I don't want it to pass because it would be devastating to a lot of people who are losing healthcare and coverage. As bad as the ACA is in a lot of people's minds (and it definitely has some bad parts), this is an amazingly bad bill that hasn't even been fully evaluated by the CBO due to the time constraints. Republican senators can't even get behind it because they have no idea what it does other than "send it to the states".

I am all for getting more Democrats in office in 2018 and beyond, but I don't want that to come at the expense of people losing health insurance simply because Republicans are trying to pass something in 10 days.

I'm skeptical that the right will react even if millions do lose health care. They'll just blame the ACA for being so bad that it "required" the GOP to pass an even worse bill.

I'm pretty sure the precedent has been clearly set on major healthcare bills that we have to vote for it so that we can see what's in it. Thanks, Obama.

The actual quote has been shown to be true.

"magine an economy where people could follow their aspirations, where they could be entrepreneurial, where they could take risks professionally because personally their families health care needs are being met. Where they could be self-employed or start a business, not be job-locked in a job because they have health care there, and if they went out on their own it would be unaffordable to them, but especially true, if someone has a child with a pre-existing condition. So when we pass our bill, never again will people be denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition."
"You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.
“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

I'm not sure about that. This is the flipside of the Dem logic that once ACA came into law, people would like it, and reward Dems with their votes. Instead, the GOP fought it and convinced people ACA was the root of all problems with health care. You're assuming the GOP won't be able to fool people again.

You need to filter everything through the fuck you I got mine lens that our world now has. Are you personally going to be impacted? If no, will the passing of the bill fuck over people that put the people behind the bill in power? If yes, then Fuck them they get what they deserve, sorry innocent bystanders.

I'm pretty sure the precedent has been clearly set on major healthcare bills that we have to vote for it so that we can see what's in it. Thanks, Obama.

The actual quote has been shown to be true. She said that to a room of county elected officials at the 2010 Legislative Conference for National Association of Counties.

"Imagine an economy where people could follow their aspirations, where they could be entrepreneurial, where they could take risks professionally because personally their families health care needs are being met. Where they could be self-employed or start a business, not be job-locked in a job because they have health care there, and if they went out on their own it would be unaffordable to them, but especially true, if someone has a child with a pre-existing condition. So when we pass our bill, never again will people be denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition."
"You’ve heard about the controversies within the bill, the process about the bill, one or the other. But I don’t know if you have heard that it is legislation for the future, not just about health care for America, but about a healthier America, where preventive care is not something that you have to pay a deductible for or out of pocket. Prevention, prevention, prevention–it’s about diet, not diabetes. It’s going to be very, very exciting.

“But we have to pass the bill so that you can find out what is in it, away from the fog of the controversy."

You = County elected leaders, not Senate or House Democrats who voted on the bill.

I'm not sure about that. This is the flipside of the Dem logic that once ACA came into law, people would like it, and reward Dems with their votes. Instead, the GOP fought it and convinced people ACA was the root of all problems with health care. You're assuming the GOP won't be able to fool people again.

It has increased in popularity though - especially in light of the GOP plans that have been thrown out there.

I agree with the overall sentiment though.

The actual quote has been shown to be true. She said that to a room of county elected officials at the 2010 Legislative Conference for National Association of Counties.

"Imagine an economy where people could follow their aspirations, where they could be entrepreneurial, where they could take risks professionally because personally their families health care needs are being met. Where they could be self-employed or start a business, not be job-locked in a job because they have health care there, and if they went out on their own it would be unaffordable to them, but especially true, if someone has a child with a pre-existing condition. So when we pass our bill, never again will people be denied coverage because they have a pre-existing condition."

You = County elected leaders, not Senate or House Democrats who voted on the bill.

Except that none of that was true, which would have been readily apparent had she actually read what was in it. Which goes to the plain-meaning interpretation of her not reading it until after passing it, if at all.

GOP is so insecure about the fact that they have lied to voters for half a century to pass their "rich white man" agenda that any Democratic bill that actually might help Americans that need help is a "sham to get them to vote Democrat."

The GOP is basically projecting all of the fear it has that rubes will finally figure it out.

It has increased in popularity though - especially in light of the GOP plans that have been thrown out there.

I agree with the overall sentiment though.

That was the point of the Pelosi quote. Once ACA became about health care and not about getting a Republican in the White House, people realized they liked it.

So wait, 2&2 really believes that Nancy didn't read the ACA bill before she voted on it?

Back