• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACA Running Thread

republicans voted for Trump b/c he purportedly runs the government like a business but we're shitting on legislators for wasting their time reading sub paragraphs of mind numbing legislation rather than delegating it?

#republicanlogic

Last edited:

Yeah the fact that The GOP offered Murkowski the option for Alaska and Hawai'i to keep the ACA if she votes for the new bill is just LOL funny.

They write the important ones. And this was, without a doubt, Pelosi's most important vote of her career. It would take her a day or two to read it. But she can't be bothered? Again, if that is who we elect, then we deserve the shit consequences.

I'm sure others who clerked at the state or federal appellate level can chime in, but in my experience judges aren't writing most of their decisions - including "the important ones."

Perhaps it's different at the SCOTUS level (and I'm sure we don't have any former SCOTUS clerks on here) but I suspect it isn't.

republicans voted for Trump b/c he purportedly runs the government like a business but we're shitting on legislators for wasting their time reading sub paragraphs of mind numbing legislation rather than delegating it?

#republicanlogic

Ummm, the legislators are literally the delegees in the "business" of government. It is basically their job title. That is what they are fucking there for.

Wrong, he got you again, you fall for it every goddamn time. Nobody's health care is at stake. Their insurance is at stake. Hospitals aren't going to start locking their doors if Obamacare goes away. It will go back to exactly as it was before, with those who can pay subsidizing those who can't via outrageous charges. And then hopefully someone with some sense will put forth a proposal that actually makes some sense.

You're an idiot

Yeah the fact that The GOP offered Murkowski the option for Alaska and Hawai'i to keep the ACA if she votes for the new bill is just LOL funny.

latest

I think there is a legitimate argument to be made that Democratic leaders are trying their best to do what they believe is best. See Pelosi and Schumer working with Trump on DACA instead of just letting him do what he wants at the expense of 800,000 Dreamers in the USA. They didn't have to work with him and could have let Pubs and Trump out there all alone with it.

I'm sure others who clerked at the state or federal appellate level can chime in, but in my experience judges aren't writing most of their decisions - including "the important ones."

Perhaps it's different at the SCOTUS level (and I'm sure we don't have any former SCOTUS clerks on here) but I suspect it isn't.

Richard Posner is arguably the most influential appellate judge of the last 50 years, and he always writes his own opinions (and outspokenly encourages others to do so as well). Easterbrook does as well. But yeah, the halfass ones don't, which is a big part of why they, like Pelosi, are halfass.

Richard Posner is arguably the most influential appellate judge of the last 50 years, and he always writes his own opinions (and outspokenly encourages others to do so as well). Easterbrook does as well. But yeah, the halfass ones don't, which is a big part of why they, like Pelosi, are halfass.

in other words he's regularly wasting tax dollars

Has Posner or Easterbrook ever used a summary of a case to help write his opinion?

Where's Biff?

Do you realize what what would happen if I handed in my homework in your handwriting? I'll get kicked out of school.

But apparently not Congress.

Most of us stop comparing the real world to school quickly after we graduate.

What's your excuse?

Justices don't write every word of their own opinions, even the big ones

And if Congress people didn't have staff to read the 1.25 million pages of bills that come through every year they wouldn't be able to even skim the surface of all the legislation they needed to vote on

The important thing is that their staff translate the important points and do the necessary research

So did they not do the "important thing"? Because there is no logical way to vote for Obamacare if that was actually done. So who dropped the ball?

Back