• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Coaching Salaries

TBR

Reaction score
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs...f-acc-coaches/2011/07/15/gIQA3vOLGI_blog.html

Don't know where the number for Grobe came from as I don't really believe that his guaranteed annual comp is $2.9m, but I bet he is in the top half of the conference regardless*.

[Redacted] is probably between $1m and $1.2m.

I wish we would invest as much in basketball coaches as we have in football coaches.

*As he should be.

Last edited:
I believe that is his actual salary. Made over $4 mill a few years ago when annuities were included.

30,000 fans per game times $30 average per ticket times 7 games is $6,300,000. Sold over 16,000 season tickets...may be the most ever?

Hard to say what BZ is.. I don't think Dino was over $1 mill and I dare say BZ is either. We get back to where we are getting 14,000 per game for basketball, I would think BZ would be getting over $1 mill

I believe that is his actual salary. Made over $4 mill a few years ago when annuities were included.

30,000 fans per game times $30 average per ticket times 7 games is $6,300,000. Sold over 16,000 season tickets...may be the most ever?

Hard to say what BZ is.. I don't think Dino was over $1 mill and I dare say BZ is either. We get back to where we are getting 14,000 per game for basketball, I would think BZ would be getting over $1 mill

Dino was at $800k after Wellman extended his contract 9 months prior to terminating it. [Redacted] was at $950k at Colorado.

Though not a bad idea for a performance based bonus...

Overreact much? You don't care for me because I'm not a Wellman fan. That's fine. Given that I post about five times/week (on a good week), I think your anger could be more productively channeled elsewhere.

You are singlehandedly the worst poster on this board, and that is a board with keeper and thereff on it.

He has consistently said that attendance and [Redacted]'s compensation are not linked?

If not then please take it to PM's because it isn't relevant to this thread.

What I meant was that every single post he makes is extremely negative and is also pretty irrelevant to the thread as well.

Point taken, I'll delete my posts, apologies for overreacting to somebody that I believe to be a troll.

I wish we would invest as much in basketball coaches as we have in football coaches.

Completely agree. I wish we would pay our basketball coach 3 million and our football coach 1 million.

While Grobe's recent run of success was nice, I think our athletic department and to some degree our fan base has lost touch with it's identity as a basketball school. And the sooner we get that back the better.

Wake will never have prolonged long term success as a football school. There are too many reasons to list why that will never happen. However there is more than a realistic shot that Wake could have long term sustained basketball success, given the right circumstances.

Wake should be focusing all of its time, thought, energy and money into the basketball program. The football program should be a distant, distant second at best. I would love to go back to the glory days of the early 90s through the mid 2000s where we had realistic chances to be competitive for the ACC basketball championship most years and have the occasional 6-6/7-5 football season every 4th year or so with a trip to Hawaii or San Francisco.

We've lost a little of our identity these past 5 years with pipe dreams in football and can't help but believe it's contributing (at least in some small way) to the disaster our basketball program has become.

Make basketball the clear top dog again. If we dangled 3 million (top 5 money) after Dino left there is no way we would be stuck with this current clown. College basketball starts with the coach. Recruiting follows.

but we lost money in football. the only BCS school to do so. i dont think basketball bailed out football this year. good thing we have such good opponents this season to aid ticket sales AND the influx of more ACC tv money.

http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2011/02/24/acc-football-not-cash-cow-like-sec-and-big-ten/

but we lost money in football. the only BCS school to do so. i dont think basketball bailed out football this year. good thing we have such good opponents this season to aid ticket sales AND the influx of more ACC tv money.

http://blogs.forbes.com/sportsmoney/2011/02/24/acc-football-not-cash-cow-like-sec-and-big-ten/

I've seen several other sources state that not very many teams make money on football at all, I think it has to do with how schools report and classify their revenues.

Completely agree. I wish we would pay our basketball coach 3 million and our football coach 1 million.

While Grobe's recent run of success was nice, I think our athletic department and to some degree our fan base has lost touch with it's identity as a basketball school. And the sooner we get that back the better.

Wake will never have prolonged long term success as a football school. There are too many reasons to list why that will never happen. However there is more than a realistic shot that Wake could have long term sustained basketball success, given the right circumstances.

Wake should be focusing all of its time, thought, energy and money into the basketball program. The football program should be a distant, distant second at best. I would love to go back to the glory days of the early 90s through the mid 2000s where we had realistic chances to be competitive for the ACC basketball championship most years and have the occasional 6-6/7-5 football season every 4th year or so with a trip to Hawaii or San Francisco.

We've lost a little of our identity these past 5 years with pipe dreams in football and can't help but believe it's contributing (at least in some small way) to the disaster our basketball program has become.

Make basketball the clear top dog again. If we dangled 3 million (top 5 money) after Dino left there is no way we would be stuck with this current clown. College basketball starts with the coach. Recruiting follows.

I agree 100%.

Football is always going to be more costly than basketball, but we shouldn't be spending 4 times as much on it.

Numbers: I think from a direct revenue perspective (ticket sales, concessions, TV rights, advertising) most programs probably fail to break even, but then bring in designated donations and the red turns into black. Just a hunch since there's very little clarity on the revenue side.

Also, it isn't just about the head coaches, I have to wonder about the assistants too. I mean who's more respected in their respective fields, Battle or Lobo? Yet I'd be pretty surprised if Battle makes more.

Last edited:
Just downloaded the 2009 WFU 990.
Name: Base Compensation; Bonus; Other Compensation
Jim Grobe: $2,367,127; $528,927; $11,852
Dino Gaudio: $646,136; $150; $11,431
Ron Wellman: $517,083; $40,000; $54,854
Nathan O. Hatch: $513,608; $50,000; $20,168
J Tiefenthaler: $342,500; $20,000; $80,636

First, let me just say that a $150 performance bonus for someone making $650,000 is absolutely hilarious (and recall that this would have been for the 2008-2009 season). Second, the top 3 highest paid individuals at the university are members of the athletic department. That doesn't sit particularly well with me, though I guess that's what the going rates are. Third, while scanning I noticed that the endowment took a $100m hit (so its down to $550m) during 2009. Fourth, far and away the most qualified and generally impressive WFU administrator makes less than $165,000 since he doesn't show up as one of the highest compensated employees. Thanks Mr. Reinemund.

Last edited:

First, let me just say that a $150 performance bonus for someone making $650,000 is absolutely hilarious (and recall that this would have been for the 2008-2009 season). Second, the top 3 highest paid individuals at the university are members of the athletic department. That doesn't sit particularly well with me, though I guess that's what the going rates are. Third, while scanning I noticed that the endowment took a $100m hit (so its down to $550m) during 2009. Fourth, far and away the most qualified and generally impressive WFU administrator makes less than $165,000 since he doesn't show up as one of the highest compensated employees. Thanks Mr. Reinemund.

Who is that?

I like and respect Jim Grobe, but for Wake Forest University to pay any head football coach $3 million a year is just ludicrous.

We are fundamentally a basketball school. Not only because that is the only major sport in which we can realistically put a nationally ranked team on the court on a regular basis, but it also happens to be historically our ONLY profitable sport.

Things have gotten totally turned upside down at Wake Forest. We have the highest paid football coach in the conference (even more than Frank Beamer) with the lowest football revenue of any conference school.

Ridiculous. Absolutely ridiculous. And it really makes me wonder why I continue to write checks that I cannot afford to the athletic program to support salaries this obscene. Obviously we're not paying for results.

Agree on Dino's "bonus," that's both hysterical and sad.

On point two, I bet that would be very similar at most universities. I'd be curious to see.

On the endowment, I don't think it's that surprising, as this is the return for 7/1/08 - 6/30/09. The Dow was at ~11,300 at the end of the prior fiscal year and was at ~8,200 at the end of that fiscal year.

On Steve Reinemund, I'm not sure how the timing worked out on this 990 (it seems wrong because Reinemund was appointed in April '08), but it still lists Ajay Patel as Dean of the Business School. I think as Dean, he would be listed as a key employee, even if not highly compensated. If he actually does make less than $165,000, I would be surprised (and would also add my thanks and tip my hat to him).

Agree on Dino's "bonus," that's both hysterical and sad.

On point two, I bet that would be very similar at most universities. I'd be curious to see.

On the endowment, I don't think it's that surprising, as this is the return for 7/1/08 - 6/30/09. The Dow was at ~11,300 at the end of the prior fiscal year and was at ~8,200 at the end of that fiscal year.

On Steve Reinemund, I'm not sure how the timing worked out on this 990 (it seems wrong because Reinemund was appointed in April '08), but it still lists Ajay Patel as Dean of the Business School. I think as Dean, he would be listed as a key employee, even if not highly compensated. If he actually does make less than $165,000, I would be surprised (and would also add my thanks and tip my hat to him).

Ah, I didn't check the dates, just assumed it was for calendar year 2009 since it was listed for 2009 on Guidestar. Good catch.

Seems like Reinemund would still be on there though. It wouldn't surprise me if he's working for some nominal amount given that we certainly aren't paying him fair market.

Back