• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Coaching Salaries

Just FYI. Even though Wake is on a June 30 fiscal year, compensation is reported on a calendar year basis. So the compensation information in the 2009 Form 990 would be as of 12/31/08.

Just FYI. Even though Wake is on a June 30 fiscal year, compensation is reported on a calendar year basis. So the compensation information in the 2009 Form 990 would be as of 12/31/08.

Okay then. That makes Dino's bonus make more sense, though I am still a little bewildered about a $150 bonus for something being built into his contract.

That also clarifies why Reinemund isn't on there. Will be interested to see the 2010 990. When should that come out?

Thanks for the clarification - that would explain why Reinemund isn't listed. Also, is that typical for tax-exempt organizations on a FY? Just curious. Is it because it is easier to take W-2/1099 data that is obviously reported on a calendar year basis? I see a lot of 990s, but I don't prepare returns (and most of my tax-exempt clients are calendar year TPs that don't actually compensate anyone).

Anybody who believes Jim Grobe makes $3M a year is an absolute idiot.

Anybody who believes Jim Grobe makes $3M a year is an absolute idiot.

Uh, per the IRS his normal comp (aka: salary) was $2.367m for the 2008 calendar year.

This would put him at 3rd in the conference (and everyone even remotely close to him is at a public school the data is a lot easier to get/interpret). This seems about right.

Last edited:
Most are calendar, but there are a significant number that are June filers. Also, while the individual compensation numbers must be reported on a calendar basis the compensation expense as a whole can be reported on a FY basis.

The 2008 IRS "data" is an outlier.

His total compensation for that tax period was inflated due to deferred comp, performance incentives, etc.

Again... anyone who believes Jim Grobe makes $3M a year and is the highest paid coach in the conference is an idiot.

His total compensation for that tax period was inflated due to deferred comp, performance incentives, etc.

You are wrong.

Base Compensation: $2,367,127
Bonus & Incentive Compensation: $528,197
Other Compensation: $11,852
Deferred Compensation: $17,250
Nontaxable Benefits: $14,319
Total: $2,939,475

I know sunshiners like you want to think that he has turned down big money because he likes Wake Forest so much, but the reality is he has turned down big money in part because he already makes big money.

Again... anyone who believes Jim Grobe makes $3M a year and is the highest paid coach in the conference is an idiot.

This isn't true, his base comp without deferred comp and any other incentives or bonuses is over 2 million.

Coach Grobe is a very good man; but his compensation package was a gamble and on the surface it doesn't look to have been very wise. Before reaching that conclusion we must look at the over-all situation. In my years as a Wake fan there have never been the kinds of crowds at Groves that we have witnessed over his tenure. Also, there has been a level of respect for WF football that did not exist previously. Thus, the investment has been positive over-all................................until recently.

We are losing that respect. And, the attendance will decline unless the performance improves substantially. In other words, the gamble may yet prove to be a bust. I sincerely hope not. But things must improve substantially soon.

I'm not sure why you put "data" in quotes, as that was the first year that Wake filed with the new 990 that specifically includes deferred comp, bonus and incentive comp, etc. If you think 2008 is an outlier, what about 2007? That 990 reports total comp of over $3.4 million (of which some was deferred/incentive/bonus). I think the WaPo article of citing $2.9 million guaranteed is almost definitely off, but I don't think a number like $2.5 or $2.3 million, with a possibility over $3 million with incentives is all that hard to believe.

Okay then. That makes Dino's bonus make more sense, though I am still a little bewildered about a $150 bonus for something being built into his contract.

That also clarifies why Reinemund isn't on there. Will be interested to see the 2010 990. When should that come out?

dino owes that 150 to Jay Vidovich. Every athletic department staffer gets a small bonus when one of the teams wins an NCAA or ACC title. men's soccer won in december and everyone got the same bonus in February. a way to say that everyone has a hand in each sport's success.

LMAO that some think The Colonel is a sunshiner.

I heard from someone who should know that the published compensation for Coach Grobe was WAAAYYY overstated.

Why? I have no idea. But I trust my source.

Feel free to believe whatever you want.

LMAO that some think The Colonel is a sunshiner.

I heard from someone who should know that the published compensation for Coach Grobe was WAAAYYY overstated.

Why? I have no idea. But I trust my source.

Feel free to believe whatever you want.

So, let me get this right, you think Wake overstated Grobe's compensation to the IRS? Okay then...

And, yes, everything I have read that you have posted has been textbook sunshine stuff, including what you have said in this thread (and how you said it).

2004: $783k
2005: $815k
2006: $1.3m
2007: $3.4m ($900k marked as deferred)
2008: $2.9m ($500k marked as performance bonus)

So, what it looks like is that 2006 Grobe was under the old contract for about $800k a year but got a shitload of performance bonuses based on the Orange Bowl to bump him up to $1.3m. 2007 he signed an extension at the end of February. We can extrapolate that the base pay he received that year was about $2.1m ($3.4m-$900k (deferred) - $400k (est performance)) which works out to a new annual salary of $2.34m (($2.1m-$900k/6)/10*12). In short, per my calculations and the IRS numbers, Grobe has a guaranteed salary right around $2.3m, which makes him one of the top 15 highest paid coaches in the country per this database: http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/2010-coaches-contracts-database.htm . And remember that this contract is 3 years old relative to those numbers; $2.3m would make him the 3rd highest paid coach in 2007 ( http://www.usatoday.com/sports/graphics/coaches_contracts07/flash.htm ). And, again, we're completely ignoring performance bonuses here.

In short Grobe is extraordinarily well paid.

Completely agree. I wish we would pay our basketball coach 3 million and our football coach 1 million.

While Grobe's recent run of success was nice, I think our athletic department and to some degree our fan base has lost touch with it's identity as a basketball school. And the sooner we get that back the better.

Wake will never have prolonged long term success as a football school. There are too many reasons to list why that will never happen. However there is more than a realistic shot that Wake could have long term sustained basketball success, given the right circumstances.

Wake should be focusing all of its time, thought, energy and money into the basketball program. The football program should be a distant, distant second at best. I would love to go back to the glory days of the early 90s through the mid 2000s where we had realistic chances to be competitive for the ACC basketball championship most years and have the occasional 6-6/7-5 football season every 4th year or so with a trip to Hawaii or San Francisco.

We've lost a little of our identity these past 5 years with pipe dreams in football and can't help but believe it's contributing (at least in some small way) to the disaster our basketball program has become.

Make basketball the clear top dog again. If we dangled 3 million (top 5 money) after Dino left there is no way we would be stuck with this current clown. College basketball starts with the coach. Recruiting follows.

Maybe it's just me but I hate this mentality. I think (for what little that's worth) that Wake should pour as much money into as many sports as we can for the returned revenue, the reputation and to support the student athletes. How many of you would have cut Field Hockey in favor of supporting the basketball team? They and Men's Soccer are about the only ones consistently worth a damn. I'd rather spend $3M on a football coach and expect 5-6 wins than $500,000 and hope for 1.

Maybe it's just me but I hate this mentality. I think (for what little that's worth) that Wake should pour as much money into as many sports as we can for the returned revenue, the reputation and to support the student athletes. How many of you would have cut Field Hockey in favor of supporting the basketball team? They and Men's Soccer are about the only ones consistently worth a damn. I'd rather spend $3M on a football coach and expect 5-6 wins than $500,000 and hope for 1.

Sure, but I would rather spend $3m on a basketball coach and expect 25+ wins and $1m on a football coach and expect 4-5 wins then spend $3m on a football coach and expect 6-7 wins and $1m on a basketball coach and expect 18-20 wins.

I am of the opinion that Grobe's compensation limited our coaching search last April.

In other words, recognizing that we have a limited amount of funds, I think we should prioritize basketball.

dino owes that 150 to Jay Vidovich. Every athletic department staffer gets a small bonus when one of the teams wins an NCAA or ACC title. men's soccer won in december and everyone got the same bonus in February. a way to say that everyone has a hand in each sport's success.

Good info.

It's still funny though.:p

Back