• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Divisional Realignment

Quepo

Reaction score
Heard this morning that ACC is considering going to three 4-5 team divisions. They specifically mentioned our "non-conf" game vs UNC. This would certainly return natural rivalries assuming a NC division. Could even see them going to NC+1 by adding UVA. I would be fine with that.

Makes a lot of sense, but picking 2 teams for a championship game could get really messy.

Swofford said yesterday that it had been discussed 3-4 years ago but that he didn't see much support for it these days

They said ACC and Big12 petitioning NCAA for deregulation of current division/championship game rules

They said ACC and Big12 petitioning NCAA for deregulation of current division/championship game rules

To one which allows three teams to play a football game at the same time on the same field?

Heard this morning that ACC is considering going to three 4-5 team divisions. They specifically mentioned our "non-conf" game vs UNC. This would certainly return natural rivalries assuming a NC division. Could even see them going to NC+1 by adding UVA. I would be fine with that.

Makes a lot of sense, but picking 2 teams for a championship game could get really messy.

You are making a big assumption that they would put us with our geographic rivals. I'm pretty sure that they would line up everyone else however makes most economic sense, and then throw us in whatever division needs an extra school. I think you'd see an NC-1+2.

The ACC is more likely to go to no divisions with three or four permanent rivals.

To one which allows three teams to play a football game at the same time on the same field?

Untitled-1_2894600c.jpg

But like for real football.

I still think a NC division is a terrible idea from our perspective. That whole pod system was talked about back when this mess started and I think it's a terrible idea. While I agree it would be nice to have the natural rivalries restored, I would rather be in a pod we could eventually win. Not be in a pod with Duke and UNC. (Talking basketball of course...)

I still think a NC division is a terrible idea from our perspective. That whole pod system was talked about back when this mess started and I think it's a terrible idea. While I agree it would be nice to have the natural rivalries restored, I would rather be in a pod we could eventually win. Not be in a pod with Duke and UNC. (Talking basketball of course...)

Don't think this would effect basketball. Just football.

This would be my best case (if we can keep all 4 NC schools together, of which I doubt)

You play everyone in your pod every year, +2 from each of the other pods on a rotating basis. OR do it the way the NFL does it - play the teams in other pods based off where you finish the year prior. Dynamic scheduling.

Pod 1
Wake
Duke
State
UNC
Clemson

Pod 2
BC
Cuse
Pitt
ND
Miami

Pod 3
FSU
GT
UL
VT
UVA

Last edited:
Why does Miami get the shaft with Pod 2? Their travel expenses will suck. Would it be better with UL and Miami switching?

This would be my best case (if we can keep all 4 NC schools together, of which I doubt)

You play everyone in your pod every year, +2 from each of the other pods on a rotating basis. OR do it the way the NFL does it - play the teams in other pods based off where you finish the year prior. Dynamic scheduling.

Pod 1
Wake
Duke
State
UNC
Clemson

Pod 2
BC
Cuse
Pitt
ND
UL

Pod 3
FSU
GT
Miami
VT
UVA

With DeacKillsaDevil's suggestion.

Except ND isn't a full member.

Yeah the only way I see this "pod system" ever working is with the assumption that ND is a full member. Fat chance that happens.

We'll keep the same divisions for scheduling purposes, but take the top 2 ranked teams instead.

That won't be a good thing for Wake Forest I fear.

Yeah the only way I see this "pod system" ever working is with the assumption that ND is a full member. Fat chance that happens.

We'll keep the same divisions for scheduling purposes, but take the top 2 ranked teams instead.

That won't be a good thing for Wake Forest I fear.

If/when ND fully joins, it's hard to see us not adding one more team.

Back