• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Divisional Realignment

If/when ND fully joins, it's hard to see us not adding one more team.

Agreed (that would make this much easier)

Possibilities? This is simply for fun speculation at this point. I know it's a head horse. I don't think any of the NC/FL schools has a shot. We'll look to "broaden our footprint."

UConn (ha)
Good bball, doesn't add anything else

Cinci
Entering the Ohio market.

West Virginia (I think they'd jump the Big XII in a heartbeat to join the ACC)
Good athletics. The whole reason we didn't add them in the first place was b/c of academics. Since then we've added UL.

SMU/Houston
Getting into the Texas markets.

Memphis
Tennessee markets. Same academic thing with WVU/UL as mentioned.

Tulane
NO market. (not saying that everyone in N.O. is a Tulane fan, but we'd on on their TVs. + another academic institution.

This would no doubt be the best option, but I can't see PSU leaving the B1G. And BC will never, under any circumstances, let UConn into the ACC. If ND joins, it will be WVU.

If we're going to poach from the Big 12, we should do better than WVU.

Unless WF could pry Penn State from the Big 10 (or anyone from the SEC) neither which is very likely, UCONN is the logical choice to re-join all of the Big East teams that the ACC brought in.

WV would jump into the ACC, but would think that UCONN would bring more eyes and money to the ACC. None of the other Big 12 make sense without a geographic partner.

Can't determine from this thread is this realignment being considered for football or hoop or both?

If for football, three divisions would only make sense if the ACC FB Championship included semis and final with a WC. That seems like a massive stretch.

It's pretty clear that conference realignment has nothing to do with any sport other than football, so I can't see a realistic scenario where the ACC takes UConn (or a similar football-poor school). No one's leaving the SEC or B1G, so that leaves Big 12 and lesser conference schools as targets.

Unless WF could pry Penn State from the Big 10 (or anyone from the SEC) neither which is very likely, UCONN is the logical choice to re-join all of the Big East teams that the ACC brought in.

WV would jump into the ACC, but would think that UCONN would bring more eyes and money to the ACC. None of the other Big 12 make sense without a geographic partner.

Can't determine from this thread is this realignment being considered for football or hoop or both?

If for football, three divisions would only make sense if the ACC FB Championship included semis and final with a WC. That seems like a massive stretch.

It's being discussed for football only, and with the ACC (and Big 12) looking to de-regulate the title games (Big 12 because they want to hold one while remaining at 10 teams), even if they had three divisions, the ACC would have the power to select the two highest ranked teams among those divisions to participate in the ACC Championship game.

If ND ever joins as a full member, I could see the ACC inviting Navy to join as a football-only member.

I still think UConn is a no brainer for 16th member. Not great at football or bringing anything in that front, but I want them for basketball alone.

I can't fathom a situation where the ACC would permit BC to exclude a member that the bulk of the conference wants unless the current system requires a unanimous vote (which it very well may).

I'd personally take WVU over UCONN because they provide more from the combined basketball and football prospective. Unless of course you people actually support the existence of women's basketball.

Also WVU brings an asshole fandom to the conference that would be fun to deal with. It also helps to bridge Pitt, Lousiville and Notre Dame geographically. UCONN provides absolutely nothing besides Geno Auriema's arrogance. The longer that the UCONN men live in the AAC the more their basketball team is going to drop off. Especially since their kids have to at least pretend to go to class now.

I can't fathom a situation where the ACC would permit BC to exclude a member that the bulk of the conference wants unless the current system requires a unanimous vote (which it very well may).

None of the football-focused schools (FSU, Miami, Georgia Tech, Clemson) want anything to do with UConn and the hundreds of football fans they would bring to a road game. BC sure as heck doesn't want them, and I'd be surprised if Syracuse does, either.

Idea I saw on the Cuse board: No divisions and a "3-5-5" scheduling format is probably the best way to go. Each team plays 3 "rivals" every year and the remaining 5 conference games would rotate each year.

So for example: Wake's permanent games would be NCSU, UNC, and Duke.

Year 1 Wake plays UNC, Duke, FSU, Pitt, @NCSU, @Virginia, @GT, @BC
Year 2: NCSU, Syracuse, VT, Clemson, @UNC, @Duke, @Miami, @Louisville
Year 3: UNC, Duke, Miami, Louisville, @NCSU, @Syracuse, @VT, @Clemson
Year 4: NCSU, Virginia, GT, BC, @UNC, @Duke, @FSU, @Pitt

This way every ACC school plays every other ACC school home and away in a 4 year period. The way it is now it takes 12 years for Wake to play Coastal schools home and away.
With conference title games deregulated, just take the top 2 teams and have them play in Charlotte at the end of the year.

I'd personally take WVU over UCONN because they provide more from the combined basketball and football prospective. Unless of course you people actually support the existence of women's basketball.

Also WVU brings an asshole fandom to the conference that would be fun to deal with. It also helps to bridge Pitt, Lousiville and Notre Dame geographically. UCONN provides absolutely nothing besides Geno Auriema's arrogance. The longer that the UCONN men live in the AAC the more their basketball team is going to drop off. Especially since their kids have to at least pretend to go to class now.

WVU should be the pick. Including them would bring back the 'Backyard Brawl' game with Pitt plus rivalries with VT, Louisville and UVA.

It's being discussed for football only, and with the ACC (and Big 12) looking to de-regulate the title games (Big 12 because they want to hold one while remaining at 10 teams), even if they had three divisions, the ACC would have the power to select the two highest ranked teams among those divisions to participate in the ACC Championship game.

This would be the end of hope(as meager as it is) for a Wake's return to the ACC Title game, I fear. Our only hope as I see it now would be for FSU and Clemson to both have down years and the other division has the powers for once.

Idea I saw on the Cuse board: No divisions and a "3-5-5" scheduling format is probably the best way to go. Each team plays 3 "rivals" every year and the remaining 5 conference games would rotate each year.

So for example: Wake's permanent games would be NCSU, UNC, and Duke.

Year 1 Wake plays UNC, Duke, FSU, Pitt, @NCSU, @Virginia, @GT, @BC
Year 2: NCSU, Syracuse, VT, Clemson, @UNC, @Duke, @Miami, @Louisville
Year 3: UNC, Duke, Miami, Louisville, @NCSU, @Syracuse, @VT, @Clemson
Year 4: NCSU, Virginia, GT, BC, @UNC, @Duke, @FSU, @Pitt

This way every ACC school plays every other ACC school home and away in a 4 year period. The way it is now it takes 12 years for Wake to play Coastal schools home and away.
With conference title games deregulated, just take the top 2 teams and have them play in Charlotte at the end of the year.

I like this idea.

Given the historical weakness of the NC teams, I have trouble seeing the league allowing them to play each other every year. It would be highly desirable for the NC schools, but the rest I think would cry foul.

Given the historical weakness of the NC teams, I have trouble seeing the league allowing them to play each other every year. It would be highly desirable for the NC schools, but the rest I think would cry foul.

Yeah this is true. I used the NC schools as an example, but for everyone to be happy the all NC schools playing each other every year won't happen - UNC wants to play Virginia, State wants to play Clemson, etc. Wake would probably get 2 of the NC schools every year, plus a school like BC. That's still much better than what we have now.

Back