• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal: Ron Wellman’s Risky Call

My Honda Ridgeline came from Flow, but I promise I will not even come close to looking at another vehicle from Flow Honda!!!

What's the best way to get the freaking Flow sticker off without harming the paint?

Try using a hair dryer to soften the adhesive.

Why did Ron have Bz aggresively re-recruit Dino's final class if he was frustrated with the players we were bringing in?

I've heard others say that we HAD to recruit those guys because it would have put us in a hole otherwise. But that's a losing argument for two reasons:

1) Wellman and Buzz say they intended to clean house anyway. If that were truly the goal, losing that class would have kick started the process and could have been blamed on the staff changeover. Win-win for Ron.
2) We put ourselves into a massive hole anyway through Bz's awful coaching. Hard to imagine that we could have been much worse in his 1st year. At least the loss of the class would have given Buzz a half decent excuse for his ineptitude.

Apparently, it suits Hatch and Grobe to pretend that Wellman is a Paragon of Virtue. CMM getting the start over Madison due to family pressure is very revealing.

Dude, you seriously, seriously overestimate the amount that normal people give a shit about this.

Unfortunately I think you're probably right. Heck, you know Forsyth County has lots more UNC, Duke, and State fans than Wake fans and the fact that Dumb....I mean Don Flow is a reason for Bzzz's job being secure would probably be an incentive to buy from Flow.

Why did Ron have Bz aggresively re-recruit Dino's final class if he was frustrated with the players we were bringing in? Why did Ron at least in part push for keeping the assistants, limiting our ability to find a good coach, ostensibly with the partial goal of keeping the 2010 recruits... especially if he wanted a whole new recruiting philosophy?

Also, did our staff have nothing to do with our recruiting that Ron was unsatisfied with up until that point?

THIS. So many unanswered questions. Were the assistants totally free of any guilt or culpability? If keeping our assistants and continuity for the sake of recruiting was so important, then why didn't Dino get a chance to fix what he fucked up or clean up the mess created by supposed indifference to academic integrity? And if it was such a glaring commission of sin by Dino, then why BS us about the reasons he was fired? Why can't Wellman talk about what really happened other than this silly "culture change" song and dance.

BTW Wellman, take a look around Div I athletics, the culture ain't all that grand. Perhaps we should just go Division III and give up schollies for athletes. Fuck it.

Reactions: Ayo
Apparently, it suits Hatch and Grobe to pretend that Wellman is a Paragon of Virtue. CMM getting the start over Madison due to family pressure is very revealing.

The Grobe quote is meaningless, I mean what the heck is Grobie going to say, "well, Ron keeps his word most of the time."

I've heard others say that we HAD to recruit those guys because it would have put us in a hole otherwise. But that's a losing argument for two reasons:

1) Wellman and Buzz say they intended to clean house anyway. If that were truly the goal, losing that class would have kick started the process and could have been blamed on the staff changeover. Win-win for Ron.
2) We put ourselves into a massive hole anyway through Bz's awful coaching. Hard to imagine that we could have been much worse in his 1st year. At least the loss of the class would have given Buzz a half decent excuse for his ineptitude.

I mean you can't give Bz credit for them leaving later for "cleaning house" when the supposed coaching change had a lot to do with Dino's recruiting. If you are making that big of a move based on the players coming in, it makes no sense to contort the coaching search and the staff to keep players who probably wont fit your supposed new model. Seems like they were just desperate, but it is much worse to have a player leave the program than not re-recruiting them. For all the supposed long-sighted and patient thinking Ron wants us to have, that whole fiasco was extremely short-sighted.

Not that I agree with the decision in the first place, but if you are going to do something, then do it. Same with Wellman bring Bz back. Terrible decision, but he cannot hide if he does so. He must stand behind it and be vocal about it.

Last edited:
i for one appreciate that wellman and bzz have really changed our culture. they are in control and we are doing things the right way. after all i was sick of the inmates running the asylum under dino...

"He seemed to cave to pressure from Codi Miller-McIntyre’s family and friends when he publicly said he would start Madison Jones in the ACC Tournament, then reinserted Miller-McIntyre at the last minute."

#WellmanOut #BuzzOut

I mean you can't give Bz credit for them leaving later for "cleaning house" when the supposed coaching change had a lot to do with Dino's recruiting. If you are making that big of a move based on the players coming in, it makes no sense to contort the coaching search and the staff to keep players who probably wont fit your supposed new model. Seems like they were just desperate, but it is much worse to have a player leave the program than not re-recruiting them. For all the supposed long-sighted and patient thinking Ron wants us to have, that whole fiasco was extremely short-sighted.

Not that I agree with the decision in the first place, but if you are going to do something, then do it. Same with Wellman bring Bz back. Terrible decision, but he cannot hide if he does so. He must stand behind it and be vocal about it.

Can you imagine this year's team without CJ and Travis? That's what actually cleaning house would have looked like.

i for one appreciate that wellman and bzz have really changed our culture. they are in control and we are doing things the right way. after all i was sick of the inmates running the asylum under dino...

"He seemed to cave to pressure from Codi Miller-McIntyre’s family and friends when he publicly said he would start Madison Jones in the ACC Tournament, then reinserted Miller-McIntyre at the last minute."

#WellmanOut #BuzzOut

The problem with what Wellman says now is there are so many contradictions. Basically Dino did something that pissed Ronny Boy off, he panicked fired Dino, lied about the reasons and has been trying to spin this thing ever sense, except he's in too deep now for anybody to buy his spin.

Can you imagine this year's team without CJ and Travis? That's what actually cleaning house would have looked like.

Well I'm not saying they had to get rid of everyone and not re-recruit any of them. But if there was a clear direction they wanted to go in recruiting, blindly going after the entire 2010 class and letting it dictate your fucking coaching search is beyond insane.

#WellmanOut #BuzzOut

When asked about starting Codi in the ACC tourney, even though earlier in the day he told the press that Madison would start, Bz said something to the effect that 'he started him because he felt like he did not deserve to lose his starting spot because he had missed one game'. When he said it it did sound real or genuine to me. Now the truth comes out. Very interesting.

With a high risk should come a potentially high reward. There is no high reward with Buzz. Fuck everything.

I'd like to know more about this Larranaga deal. Did we have any shot at him? If Wellman fucked that up over assistants or a couple hundred grand then I just got more pissed, after I thought I had reached my limit on this whole deal.

Anybody know more about this? It was sort of outed in that article.

Well I'm not saying they had to get rid of everyone and not re-recruit any of them. But if there was a clear direction they wanted to go in recruiting, blindly going after the entire 2010 class and letting it dictate your fucking coaching search is beyond insane.

I'm just pointing out that [Redacted] wins maybe 5 total games this year without Dino's recruits.

If people continue to give them money and go the games we're going to end up with three more years. Enough's enough. The only way to make it stop is for people to stop giving and going en masse.

This, this and this. These people do not care about facts and logic. The way to make [Redacted] leave is mass financially boycott everything that has to do with Wake Forest athletics.

Guess it's irrelevant what Dino did when it's the timing of everything that was so unfortunate. But I can no longer give Wellman the benefit of the doubt. If protecting Wake's reputation is so important, why is it okay to boldface lie to the fan base and alumni over and over. Stop bullshitting us and grow some spine. Take ownership of this shit storm and give your supporters something to feel better about. But then again, what can he say at this point? The damage has been done. He'll have to bring in a controversial JUCO transfer who can help Bzzledick win 50% of his games next year. Might as well; you've already compromised your own integrity with this huge hole you've dug for yourself Ronnie.

That is both a great and terrible article. Well written and informative, yet damning to read. I really hope football turns around this year, because it certainly seems like I can write off basketball for the foreseeable future.

This sums up my feelings. Wake Forest basketball is dead.

Back