• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ACC Sports Journal tackles [Redacted]

Great piece, thanks for posting. One thing not discussed is that with Wake's upcoming campaign and large fundraising goals, Bdzelik probably has a shorter timeline for success.

That was the best, most succinct summary of the feelings expressed by what I would call the majority that I've seen.

So, once the major ACC media members start bringing up what the fans and ticket holders have been lamenting for months on end, how long before Wellman (and to a degree, Hatch) has to start taking these concerns seriously?

How sad is it that it's succinct, but also over a page long? That's how much shit they have on us.

Watergate had less evidence.

That's a straight up hack job, character assassination.

Nothing to see here.

Move along.
man_sitting_on_sofa_holding_socks_westf03965.jpg

That was the best, most succinct summary of the feelings expressed by what I would call the majority that I've seen.

So, once the major ACC media members start bringing up what the fans and ticket holders have been lamenting for months on end, how long before Wellman (and to a degree, Hatch) has to start taking these concerns seriously?

I don't know that they're not taking the concerns seriously... they can only say so much publicly.

After reading the post last week which details how the coaching search likely went down, I feel bad for Wellman. He shouldn't have panicked and "settled" for Bz, but being that he did, the results couldn't have been worse for him. He can't just come out and tell the fan base "I'm shitting my pants, I really fucked up" so he just tries to placate and do damage control. He HAS to be thinking of next steps though... just give Bz another year.

At least that's my hope, based on the revelation that Bz was not his first choice. It was a panic choice after other candidates had been contacted. Either way, we're not going to know what Wellman is thinking because there's no way he'd just come out and say it - but that doesn't mean he's not taking the concerns seriously himself IMO.

Hopefully Mr. Wellman decides that doing a one man searching committee for the flagship program isn't a good idea and won't do it again.

This hire was shocking to nearly everyone not named Ron Wellman.

Bz has not been treated fairly by any standard; but, his chances of success at Wake are almost nil. We simply do not have the talent for a quick or radical turnaround; but apart from that the calls for his head will grow louder and louder. The momentum against him appears to be overwhelming...too much for him to overcome, IMO.

Good article. Like others I don't get the cheering for losses thing.

For those who think Bzzz has been treated unfairly, why do you feel that way? Though it's probably safe to say the base was underwhelmed with the hire, I think most were willing to give him a shot and hope for the best. This hire was simply a disaster which manifested itself very quickly to the fans. As the article points out, Bzzz has failed in virtually every aspect of the job, and it doesn't take three or five years of him in this position to see this. Additionally, Bzzz is failing on his own merits. He is not failing because the base is grumbling and unhappy with the program. The base is unhappy because he is failing, and there is little to no evidence he will ever be the right person for the job.

For those who think Bzzz has been treated unfairly, why do you feel that way? Though it's probably safe to say the base was underwhelmed with the hire, I think most were willing to give him a shot and hope for the best. This hire was simply a disaster which manifested itself very quickly to the fans. As the article points out, Bzzz has failed in virtually every aspect of the job, and it doesn't take three or five years of him in this position to see this. Additionally, Bzzz is failing on his own merits. He is not failing because the base is grumbling and unhappy with the program. The base is unhappy because he is failing, and there is little to no evidence he will ever be the right person for the job.

agreed, i think the general consensus that there wasn't much overall improvement as a team by the end of the ACC season was troubling to many who may have been on the fence about his abilities as a coach. i know that did it for me.

I am not speaking as a Buzzin guy; however, it seems to me that he had zero opportunity for success given the team he inherited--- which was further complicated by the legal problems and injuries. NO COACH would have accomplished much more with this particular group at this particular stage of their careers. I am convinced of that. Few, however, are willing to admit the impossibility of his situation. Fairness would seem to dictate that while expressing shock and even disgust at the decline of the program, we would recognize that it is not his fault and give him the opportunity to recruit and build the team as best he can. At this point a coaching change will not change our talent or experience. While I am mystified by the hire and would have preferred a more thorough search, he is our coach. His only real fault was accepting the job! But since he is the coach, he should be given a fair opportunity to make something of the mess he inherited (which I guarantee is much much worse than he realized).

There's only so far you can go with that argument. It's what I thought for the first half of the season.

Buzz did inherit a tough situation, but there's no excuse for being monumentally and historically bad. There is no excuse for losing 14 of 16 ACC regular season games by double digits. We were not even competitive.

i don't think that many people are upset purely with Bzz. he got a great offer and is trying to make the best of it.

"Five recruits are committed for the next two years, and the list of other offers for those recruits was underwhelming: Tulsa, Wichita State, UNC-Wilmington, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Marshall. Yikes."

This is the problem, moreso than the horrible season we just endured.

Also, you can't just write off a whole season "to be fair"... It's totally fair to expect that we would have improved or shown some competitive edge over the course of the season. Some individuals improved their game or showed progress, but as a TEAM we did not improve at all.

Also, you can't just write off a whole season "to be fair"... It's totally fair to expect that we would have improved or shown some competitive edge over the course of the season. Some individuals improved their game or showed progress, but as a TEAM we did not improve at all.

Bingo-Title.png

"Five recruits are committed for the next two years, and the list of other offers for those recruits was underwhelming: Tulsa, Wichita State, UNC-Wilmington, Eastern Michigan, Western Michigan, Marshall. Yikes."

This is the problem, moreso than the horrible season we just endured.

Could this be "THE" Kent? If so, welcome!:thumbsup:

pretty much agree with the article, and, no, I don't think anyone was hoping for loses, just hoping for the misery of this season to be over soon (but I think Buzz and the players felt the same way)

True, but it's also quite possible that there is a huge limit on how much you can improve as a team when you are missing certain very key components to being a functional unit.

True, but it's also quite possible that there is a huge limit on how much you can improve as a team when you are missing certain very key components to being a functional unit.

For example, a proper head coach. :thumbsup:

I think many people were willing to give him a chance, but then the losses started to pile up. Then as the article mentions as well, its how he comes off. He reminds me of brilliant physics professors who is a genius but is probably one of the worst professors at Wake. He can't communicate with anyone, completely social awkward, just writes stuff on the board and can't understand why no one gets it. Buzz is like that with the fan base, he doesn't motivate, communicate, he seems cold. If we had a young coach that was losing with the team given but was charismatic and dropping jokes about Eddie and the Sixth Man at least I would have a little smile.

Back