• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

Man, if more college sports coaches step up like this...

College sports exploit minority athletes in a most shameful way. Defund the NCAA.

There is no other parallel for almost any entity defrauding minorities quite like the NCAA.

Last edited:
US Soccer Federation repeals their requirement that athletes stand for the anthem.

Yeah, Lebron fucked up on China, but I don't expect any American who isn't a politician or CEO to be particularly savvy in that respect.

He's doing good work domestically. The prospect of the NBA season going right up to the early voting period and NFL players being more involved politically will make the election that much more interesting.

To vote for the same sorry Demo governors, mayors, city councils, and prosecutors and their failed policies who have been in charge of the areas most in question for decades? The only way for this current movement to result in any actual change is for it to prop up new candidates who are unaffiliated with the Democrat party. If Lebron wants actual change, he should prop up his man Maverick Carter to run for office. CP3 should run for office, seriously. Kyle Korver should run for office. Kaep. Getting people to turn out to vote for Joe Biden, Keisha Lance Bottoms, or Vi Lyles isn't going to change anything, they have already proven their failure in this area.

A players/fan owned league wouldn't look any different to the average fan.

Probably not the thread for this but that's what the German Bundesliga is like (their soccer league) and it does have implications for how the league runs and the fan experience.

Can you explain further?

Can you explain further?

My understanding is that there is a requirement that individual German club members must own at least a majority interest in each club. I think there are a few exceptions to that rule, though. I'm sure Townie can explain it better.

Back before 1998 German clubs were entirely member-owned, not-for-profit. It was illegal for a club to be privately owned. A rule change in 98 allows some private ownership, but fan clubs and/or membership organizations must by rule still own 50+1% of each club. The exceptions are where shareholders have financially supported a club for more than 20 years (like Bayer Leverkusen or VfL Wolfsburg). It essentially ensures a club can't be sold to a new outside interest.

What it has meant to fans is that ticket prices remain low and attendance is among the highest in Europe. It also ensures that stadiums are multi-use.

Some clubs have complained over the years that without attracting private investment they can't compete with the richer teams, but it's overwhelmingly popular, and the financial constraints have made the Bundesliga one of the most innovative in global sports. Their advancements from the youth levels up through the national team are a model the rest of the world envies in many regards.

Teams like Red Bull Leipzig sort of circumvent the rules by making membership very expensive and having fewer owners (mostly major Red Bull shareholders), and are fairly controversial.

I actually bet vad would be the best to go into more detail or answer more questions. I read one book about it by Raph Honingstein (and used Wikpedia's 50+1 rule page in my summary).

Not to derail this thread, and I want to be clear that what he's doing is probably the bare minimum, but I appreciate Currie not shying away from this conversation in his social media engagements. Ron Wellman was and is a pretty conservative guy, and Currie seems to be a departure from that a bit. I'm sure he'll get some shit for it from the right flank of our fanbase, but he's in a good position now to spend some social capital on that message.

That was a meta message in the mask video. There were masks at all.

Edit: Possibly fake tweets. The retirement is real
https://nesn.com/2020/06/twitter-reacts-to-nascar-driver-quitting-over-ban-of-confederate-flag/

103585663_10200217409014072_617817429840711970_o.jpg

Last edited:
Asia Todd, a player on Liberty University women's basketball team, has announced that she is transferring to another school due to "racial insensitivities" she has seen and encountered at the school. She tweeted that "due to the racial insensitivities shown within the leadership and culture, it simply does not align with my moral compass or personal convictions. Therefore, I had to do what I felt was best within my heart, and stand up for what is right." She started 25 games as a freshman this season and averaged 8.6 points a game.

Link: https://www.espn.com/womens-college-basketball/story/_/id/29298555/liberty-asia-todd-transferring-cites-racial-insensitivities-school

Last edited:
[h=1]Texas athletes push for changes to campus, school song to be more racially inclusive[/h]https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/29303958/texas-players-push-changes-campus-school-song-more-racially-inclusive

Texas Longhorns athletes are requesting the removal of "The Eyes of Texas" as the school song and changes to names of campus buildings in an effort to make the Austin campus more inclusive to the black community.
Without these changes, athletes said they would practice and participate in team activities but "will not be participating in the recruitment of incoming players or other alumni events."
"The recent events across the country regarding racial injustice have brought to light the systemic racism that has always been prevalent in our country as well as the racism that has historically plagued our campus," the athletes said in a statement, which was shared by several students on social media.
Among their requests are the renaming of four campus buildings that are named after Confederate or racist figures; more diverse statues by people of color; a permanent black athletic history in the school's athletics Hall of Honor; and the renaming of part of Darrell K Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium after Julius Whittier, the Longhorns' first black player.

I like how they're doing it. They're not refusing to practice or play but they're bowing out of activities that are also very impactful. The demands are all very reasonable.

Count me all in for when Megan Rapinoe runs for office.

Back