• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

Brett Favre compared Kaepernick to Pat Tillman.

Nice moment here. I never would have imagined NASCAR's actions after Wallace first said to get rid of the confederate flag, much stronger than the NFL's telling Kaepernick "whoopsie"

Nice moment. But it is quite possible that group includes the person who hung the noose or people who know who did it.

Well that’s good I guess, NASCAR got to throw full support behind a black driver, and no hate crime actually occurred.

However, NASCARs just blatantly racist fans that rally behind the sport make it pretty hard to get behind at the moment. Glad nobody intentionally put a noose in Bubbas garage, but still fuck NASCAR.

I don't want to say "good news/bad news" it's certainly good that no one left a noose. However, even at the time this was brought up it got "Jussie (and variants of that spelling) Smullett" trending, with the mouth breathers saying it was an orchestrated hoax. Now they'll feel vindicated, even if not earned, for this instance and will now be even louder naysayers for further racial acts.

I don't want to say "good news/bad news" it's certainly good that no one left a noose. However, even at the time this was brought up it got "Jussie (and variants of that spelling) Smullett" trending, with the mouth breathers saying it was an orchestrated hoax. Now they'll feel vindicated, even if not earned, for this instance and will now be even louder naysayers for further racial acts.

Exactly. Already happening because they are too dumb to understand what a "hoax" is. They're all Sailors and Anuses.

So why was the noose in that garage since October? That still seems bad.

It was a pull rope. Sometimes, it’s good to get facts and evidence before freaking out and yelling racism. And to be clear, racism is a problem, so let’s not give the bad guys such great ammunition with hysterics based on stupidity.

It was a pull rope. Sometimes, it’s good to get facts and evidence before freaking out and yelling racism. And to be clear, racism is a problem, so let’s not give the bad guys such great ammunition with hysterics based on stupidity.

Isn’t that what NASCAR did? They got the facts and evidence. Reports were a noose not a pull rope.

Pretty much what wakelaw said. All the right does these days is sit and wait for the left to react, then the times it happens to be an overreaction it's "Can you believe the what the liberal mob is freaking out about?" And it's captivated like 40% of the country.

People have been hanging nooses to intimidate Black people since well before the social media age.

People have been hanging nooses to intimidate Black people since well before the social media age.

Yeah well this time and in the future it would be good to make sure they actually hung one before freaking out.

Yeah well this time and in the future it would be good to make sure they actually hung one before freaking out.

has a picture of it leaked out? It has been said that it was a pull rope. Could it have been a rope that had a noose tied to the end? One would hope that if it was a common knot tied into the end then someone would have recognized it before calling the FBI.

wakelaw13, the reporting I saw said it was definitely a noose. The investigation found that the noose had been there since October.

I'm not sure what you want anybody to do differently.

wakelaw13, the reporting I saw said it was definitely a noose. The investigation found that the noose had been there since October.

I'm not sure what you want anybody to do differently.

I saw a picture of it, and it looked like a noose to me. It looked like it was set up so you can hold onto the hoop and pull the door down. Forgive my ignorance if this is wrong, but I don't think there is a problem with that knot per se, when it is serving a functional purpose to pull something.

Hypothetically, what if Bubba Wallace pulled into his garage and there was a watermelon sitting there? Obviously that's nowhere near as harsh, but its a racist trope nonetheless. Now assume every driver was provided with a watermelon and some other snacks. My point is before we declare him the victim of a racist attack, the basic facts should be learned. My timelines were full of high-profile figures assailing this "attack." NASCAR basically had a parade condemning the non-attack. And now all the headlines, all the pictures, and all the statements are going to be thrown around by rube nation the next time someone really is victimized.

So how should NASCAR have handled it differently?

My point is before we declare him the victim of a racist attack, the basic facts should be learned. My timelines were full of high-profile figures assailing this "attack." NASCAR basically had a parade condemning the non-attack. And now all the headlines, all the pictures, and all the statements are going to be thrown around by rube nation the next time someone really is victimized.

I mean, we're in the midst of a pretty significant cultural moment. You can't just divorce this from what's happening across the country. People rushed to judgement because of the situation, not in spite of it.

I don't disagree that this gives "the rubes" something to point to, but it's not like they didn't have any ammunition before? I think the group you're gesturing toward has spent a lifetime disputing or being willfully ignorant of racism in this country. That ignorance has already been constructed and spread. When responding to purportedly racist symbolism - when trying to ascertain intent - in this moment there's gonna be the capacity for error. That error isn't suddenly the keystone in a racist's heart.

Seems strange to demand almost literal perfection from those seeking to shine a light on racism and racist acts. I'd rather have a NASCAR parade than ignore (or hush up, I guess - in this case) something like that.

Back