• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

I haven't seen the knot. However, I can definitely think of a scenario where a crew member last year tied a rope for a specific purpose but made the end look like a "noose" for shits and giggles. The knot gets left in place and is found by a different crew that is much more sensitive to the appearance of a noose.

It just strikes me as odd that if this type of knot is so common/useful that these guys who grew up in garages would have seen one before and be so surprised that the FBI was called.

Right. I don't think a perfectly ordinary knot would draw so much attention from experienced crew members. Again, NASCAR made it clear that it was a noose. It was just a noose that had been there since October so it wasn't directed at Wallace.

I'm not about to google "How to tie a noose" but it's a complex knot that requires looping the rope back on its self twice to make a s curve in the rope, leaving enough on the loose end to do 13 wraps around the original loops and then slip the loose end through one of the loops and pulling it tight, the other loop remains free as the wrapped part moves up and down. It will work with fewer wraps but 13 is the traditional number. Maybe you call that a hang man's knot, but I was told and have always called it a noose. When I hear the name noose thrown around in the media, I assume they are talking about that kind of knot. Perhaps that is my mistake. Either way, if you had a pull rope there would be no reason to tie any kind of slip knot on the end of it, noose or other wise.

Yea as far as i understand it, it is the same knot the Uni Knot or what you use to tie a fishing hook to a line. Just usually you wrap it like 4 or 5 times tho. Uni's are great anytime you need a heavy clinch knot. Surprised you never tie them being a sailor. Bowlines are great and I use them all the time, but sometimes you need a clinch not a loop.

Yea as far as i understand it, it is the same knot the Uni Knot or what you use to tie a fishing hook to a line. Just usually you wrap it like 4 or 5 times tho. Uni's are great anytime you need a heavy clinch knot. Surprised you never tie them being a sailor. Bowlines are great and I use them all the time, but sometimes you need a clinch not a loop.

I use a simple smiley face slip knot when I need a stable cinch. Stable meaning I can move it but it won't move on its own. It is far easier to loosen up after ward. It's like two half hitches, but the second half is in the reverse direction. Let's have an extensive knot tying thread derail!

I am an Eagle Scout but I never really could get knots even back then. Some weird mental block I guess. These days I probably just use a square type knot for like any tying application except for my shoes.

I am an Eagle Scout but I never really could get knots even back then. Some weird mental block I guess. These days I probably just use a square type knot for like any tying application except for my shoes.

I was a Boy Scout, never advanced much, but I did learn a square knot and bowline (used to love climbing). I don't even tie my shoes "the right way".

Back to the NASCAR incident, could it have been a rope that's always been in the garage, but positioned differently-ex: swung over a garage rafter when it wasn't before?

Yea there are a couple knots everyone should know. Bowline, square knot, half hitch, clove hitch etc... you learn those few and you are good for like 95% of what you need.

I'm no knot expert, but that looks like a noose to me.

oh that?

defs a run-of-the-mill garage pull rope

especially in a world of electric garage openers

I believe a simple bowline or tautline hitch may have been better suited to purpose here.

I was wrong. The picture I saw earlier made it look like the loop served a functional purpose. That's not for function. I'm assuming it was someone's sick joke, and when Bubba's crew got there it took on another meaning.

Wouldn’t a door pull hanging in working garage for nearly a year look a lot greasier?

Lol my goodness well that blows the innocent misunderstanding theory right out of the water. And yeah it looks like brand new unused rope.

I assume there's a picture showing that same noose from October or during previous events.

https://www.nascar.com/news-media/2...igation-into-no-43-garage-stall-at-talladega/

After Sunday’s discovery, NASCAR officials asked each track to sweep through respective garages. Across the 1,684 garage stalls at 29 tracks, NASCAR found only 11 total had a pull-down rope tied in a knot and only one noose — the one discovered Sunday in the No. 43 garage stall.

So the one garage with a noose just happened to be assigned on the only Black driver at the event.

Last edited:
yeah, i am not sure how nobody noticed that noose previously. something seems disingenuous

but it's NASCAR, who really cares about NASCAR? the good ole boys were on the way out for over a decade with a lot of racers coming from California.

Back