• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Activism in Sports (or Official Knots Thread)

My comments have been directed more towards the media than nascar. I’m not sure what nascar could have done any better.

That's fair. I already have my scruples re: advertisement/attention-driven media (digital/broadcast). That's always going to be a lost cause if you're looking for caution. :/

I saw a picture of it, and it looked like a noose to me. It looked like it was set up so you can hold onto the hoop and pull the door down. Forgive my ignorance if this is wrong, but I don't think there is a problem with that knot per se, when it is serving a functional purpose to pull something.

Hypothetically, what if Bubba Wallace pulled into his garage and there was a watermelon sitting there? Obviously that's nowhere near as harsh, but its a racist trope nonetheless. Now assume every driver was provided with a watermelon and some other snacks. My point is before we declare him the victim of a racist attack, the basic facts should be learned. My timelines were full of high-profile figures assailing this "attack." NASCAR basically had a parade condemning the non-attack. And now all the headlines, all the pictures, and all the statements are going to be thrown around by rube nation the next time someone really is victimized.

My comment was geared more toward this part.

But even with respect to media and random people on social media, what do you expect? "Let's wait to condemn racist threats?"

To my original point, let's wait until journalists vet the information. The social media age is nuts. Twitter fees are news.

To my original point, let's wait until journalists vet the information. The social media age is nuts. Twitter fees are news.

Journalists did vet that NASCAR was investigating a noose found in Wallace's garage.

Noose or not, are we just going to pretend there isn’t racism within NASCAR and among its fans? It brought awareness, and the fact so many people found it likely/plausible should raise eyebrows.

Somebody paid a plane to fly a banner with the confederate flag behind it, for fucks sakes if that’s not a middle finger to a black driver what is?

Not to mention son of former driver Mike Skinner posted publicly that Bubba should have been dragged behind the car with that noose. So whether or not the noose was there by happenstance there is definitely a culture of racism in NASCAR.

has a picture of it leaked out? It has been said that it was a pull rope. Could it have been a rope that had a noose tied to the end? One would hope that if it was a common knot tied into the end then someone would have recognized it before calling the FBI.

A noose is a slip knot. Tying it on the end of a rope that you need to pull will cause the knot to cinch around your hand every time you pull it unless you grab it by the right part. The only reason to tie a noose on the end of a rope is if you need to get a rope around something that you later want to tighten the loop. Even if that’s what you want the rope to do, there are other knots that easier and quicker to tie to that purpose. It is not a common knot that people tie with any regularity.

A noose is a slip knot. Tying it on the end of a rope that you need to pull will cause the knot to cinch around your hand every time you pull it unless you grab it by the right part. The only reason to tie a noose on the end of a rope is if you need to get a rope around something that you later want to tighten the loop. Even if that’s what you want the rope to do, there are other knots that easier and quicker to tie to that purpose. It is not a common knot that people tie with any regularity.

Do you know what type of knot was tied in the rope hanging from the garage door? Just because some clown on Twitter called it a noose from a picture doesn't mean it wasn't a static knot. I have two ropes that I keep in the front of my boat with fixed loops on the ends so I can wrap one end of each around my hands and pull the boat onto a sandbar as it gets readjusted by the current. While I'm on the sandbar I leave them hanging off the front so I can walk back over periodically, check the position, and pull them to get it back to where it was. Is that a symbol of racism?

Can't edit but will add: it most definitely will be now. Over/under on the amount of times I get called "Bubba" while out there this weekend is officially set at 30.

Do you know what type of knot was tied in the rope hanging from the garage door? Just because some clown on Twitter called it a noose from a picture doesn't mean it wasn't a static knot. I have two ropes that I keep in the front of my boat with fixed loops on the ends so I can wrap one end of each around my hands and pull the boat onto a sandbar as it gets readjusted by the current. While I'm on the sandbar I leave them hanging off the front so I can walk back over periodically, check the position, and pull them to get it back to where it was. Is that a symbol of racism?

I have no idea what kind of knot it was. But Forensic's post asked "Could it have been a rope that had a noose tied to the end?" My response was trying to say it would be unlikely to be a pull rope with a noose on the end of it. Nooses are not very useful knots and they really complicated to tie. I'm an eagle scout and a life long sailor so, while I'm not an expert, I know a bit about knots, I even learned how to tie a noose once (Boy Scouts are kind of a fucked up organization). If you needed a rope with a loop on the end you'd tie a boline, if you need a slip know with a loop, you would just tie a slip knot or what I call a "smiley-face knot," I would not go to the trouble of tying a noose. It may very well have just been a rope with a loop in the end of to make it easier to grab and pull, I have no idea. But if it was a noose, it was not tied there innocently out of convenience, need, or habit.

I have no idea what kind of knot it was. But Forensic's post asked "Could it have been a rope that had a noose tied to the end?" My response was trying to say it would be unlikely to be a pull rope with a noose on the end of it. Nooses are not very useful knots and they really complicated to tie. I'm an eagle scout and a life long sailor so, while I'm not an expert, I know a bit about knots, I even learned how to tie a noose once (Boy Scouts are kind of a fucked up organization). If you needed a rope with a loop on the end you'd tie a boline, if you need a slip know with a loop, you would just tie a slip knot or what I call a "smiley-face knot," I would not go to the trouble of tying a noose. It may very well have just been a rope with a loop in the end of to make it easier to grab and pull, I have no idea. But if it was a noose, it was not tied there innocently out of convenience, need, or habit.

Thank you for the response. That was pretty much my feeling as well. It just seems weird that people keep referring to it as a noose when the actual knot could probably be identified (unless it was actually a noose).

I am dubious about anything that comes from this DOJ, but why would NASCAR call it a noose if it wasn't? If it was a rope with a loop, it wouldn't be a story and wouldn't make NASCAR look bad for two days.

Not that it means much but this not true. A noose knot or really a hangmans knot is essentially just a Uni knot, one of the more common knots that people use all the time.

I am dubious about anything that comes from this DOJ, but why would NASCAR call it a noose if it wasn't? If it was a rope with a loop, it wouldn't be a story and wouldn't make NASCAR look bad for two days.

Do you seriously believe that in today's charged environment anyone was going to look at the actual knot construction to determine whether it was actually a noose solely by that? You're giving the white supremacists a lot of credit with their knot skills. Rope with loop = RACIOST!!!!!!!

Bubba Wallace is on ESPN now stating that he and his crew believe it was a noose. I'll take their word over Barr's DOJ every time.

I haven't seen the knot. However, I can definitely think of a scenario where a crew member last year tied a rope for a specific purpose but made the end look like a "noose" for shits and giggles. The knot gets left in place and is found by a different crew that is much more sensitive to the appearance of a noose.

It just strikes me as odd that if this type of knot is so common/useful that these guys who grew up in garages would have seen one before and be so surprised that the FBI was called.

Not that it means much but this not true. A noose knot or really a hangmans knot is essentially just a Uni knot, one of the more common knots that people use all the time.

I'm not about to google "How to tie a noose" but it's a complex knot that requires looping the rope back on its self twice to make a s curve in the rope, leaving enough on the loose end to do 13 wraps around the original loops and then slip the loose end through one of the loops and pulling it tight, the other loop remains free as the wrapped part moves up and down. It will work with fewer wraps but 13 is the traditional number. Maybe you call that a hang man's knot, but I was told and have always called it a noose. When I hear the name noose thrown around in the media, I assume they are talking about that kind of knot. Perhaps that is my mistake. Either way, if you had a pull rope there would be no reason to tie any kind of slip knot on the end of it, noose or other wise.

Back