• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

advanced degrees

do you have/are you working on an advanced degree?

• no

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • yes, I have a masters

Votes: 51 31.1%
  • yes, I have a J.D.

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • yes, I have a M.D.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • yes, I have a Ph.D.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • yes, I am working on a masters

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • yes I am working on a J.D.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • yes I am working on a M.D.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • yes I am working on a Ph.D

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • no, but I plan on it/other

Votes: 20 12.2%

• Total voters
Finishing up a Master's of Technology Management at Georgetown. Should be done in December. woot woot

BA, WF '94. MS, GaTech '05. Contemplating the PhD program but holy shit that's a lot of work.

Master's of Public Administration, focus on government and nonprofit management.

Master of Public Affairs. Focused on public financial management, budgeting, and performance measurement.

Working on PhD in physics at WFU. Hopefully 2 more years to go.

And wow, about 62% of respondents have a graduate degree already. 76% have one or are working towards one.

College is the new high school, grad school is the new college.

I voted "No, but plan on it" because I'd like to get my MBA in a few years after I get done with my military commitment. I can't juggle full-time work, part-time school, and company command right now.

55 people either have one or are working on one.
9 plan to get one.
7 don't.

Wow.

The 7 that don't are likely the ones with the least debt and have been in the workforce long enough to have very well paying jobs.

In my household we have both extremes: myself, and my lowly 4 years of college, and my wife with her 6 year PhD in molecular genetics. I think it's the same situation as the thread starter.

Last edited:
MA in Ancient Near Eastern Religions from KU. Working on a Masters of Theological Studies in Hebrew Bible at Emory before moving on to PhD in Hebrew Bible/Ancient Near Eastern Religions/Biblical Archaeology.

MBA
No debt, didn't stop working
Has worked out very well for me.

Last edited:
Well this is humbling, I'm in the bottom 15% of education on the boards. In my defense I did enter a profession out of college that required a lot of study to get professional accreditation via exams. Eh, sounds like excuse making, I'm just a dummy after all.

Just turned in my Master's Research Paper (like a thesis but slightly different) so I should have my MA conferred in August. The question I now face is whether to get another masters and if so, what program. The Army payed off my student loans from Wake and for half of the MA so I still have a significant amount of my GI Bill left and don't want to waste it. Of course, I really struggled to stay motivated to finish the MA so not really itching to go back to school anytime soon.

No advanced degree. When I got out of Wake, I had $50 to my name and my parents had 2 other kids about to start college, so they could not afford to bankroll a master's for me as well. So into the workforce I went. At this point in life, I would prefer not to take a severe pay cut to go back to school full-time (as any master's program I would wish to enter would not be in my current field of work & thus would not be covered by tuition reimbursement by my company). And I'm fine with that.

How so? It's just polling ogboards.

It's a self-selecting response group. People with advanced degrees are far more likely to respond to this poll (particularly considering the thread title) than those without one -- I'm sure an actual census of posters would have different results (I'd bet that fewer than half of the posters have an advanced degree)

Well this is humbling, I'm in the bottom 15% of education on the boards. In my defense I did enter a profession out of college that required a lot of study to get professional accreditation via exams. Eh, sounds like excuse making, I'm just a dummy after all.

Professional certifications, especially those requiring annual CEUs are usually valued much, much more later in career than anything earned at a college.

Back