• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

advanced degrees

do you have/are you working on an advanced degree?

• no

Votes: 27 16.5%
  • yes, I have a masters

Votes: 51 31.1%
  • yes, I have a J.D.

Votes: 32 19.5%
  • yes, I have a M.D.

Votes: 12 7.3%
  • yes, I have a Ph.D.

Votes: 5 3.0%
  • yes, I am working on a masters

Votes: 14 8.5%
  • yes I am working on a J.D.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • yes I am working on a M.D.

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • yes I am working on a Ph.D

Votes: 6 3.7%
  • no, but I plan on it/other

Votes: 20 12.2%

• Total voters
Don't have one and don't intend on ever getting one. Seems like a colossal waste of time and money.

Have a Masters of Divinity, plan on Doctor of Ministry (D.Min) at some point. I'd be interested in a Ph.D or Th.D, but don't plan to work in academia, so can't quite justify the time and expense for one a residential program (D. Min degrees are designed with summer intensives and a workload during the year that fits with a clergy schedule). Continuing ed and reading are also a big part of my post-college work.

It's a self-selecting response group. People with advanced degrees are far more likely to respond to this poll (particularly considering the thread title) than those without one -- I'm sure an actual census of posters would have different results (I'd bet that fewer than half of the posters have an advanced degree)

Considering that close to half of the posters are either current students or recently graduated in the last couple years, I'd guess you are correct.

The 7 that don't are likely the ones with the least debt and have been in the workforce long enough to have very well paying jobs.

In my household we have both extremes: myself, and my lowly 4 years of college, and my wife with her 6 year PhD in molecular genetics. I think it's the same situation as the thread starter.
Indeed.

BA, WF '94. MS, GaTech '05. Contemplating the PhD program but holy shit that's a lot of work.

Truth. Was in PhD program at Emory after WF but bailed after a M.S. Couldn't see another three-four years...

For the record I have a BS, MS, MBA - so doubling down on the Masters degrees...

About to start my MBA at Kellogg this Fall. Agree with the poster who said Masters is the new college - I'm 25 and feel like 75% of my friends already have their Masters or in the process of getting one.

BS Chemistry - Wake
MBA - Duke (had zero idea of what I really wanted to do in life)
MD - UNC (please don't hate me)

Btw, fairly new to the boards. Enjoy reviewing the Bzzout chatter. The man has to go.

BS Chemistry - Wake
MBA - Duke (had zero idea of what I really wanted to do in life)
MD - UNC (please don't hate me)

Btw, fairly new to the boards. Enjoy reviewing the Bzzout chatter. The man has to go.

What do you do now?

-Fellow BS Chem trying to figure out life.

MBA and MA in Political Science.

Did both part-time while working full-time. PhD would be nice, but it requires a time commitment that I can't make with a full-time job and a family.

It's a self-selecting response group. People with advanced degrees are far more likely to respond to this poll (particularly considering the thread title) than those without one -- I'm sure an actual census of posters would have different results (I'd bet that fewer than half of the posters have an advanced degree)

I'm going to miss your logical posts now that I've decided to put all the dummies with one degree on ignore.

JD and LLM in Public International Law

Back