• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

Cowboys fans should be soccer fans. Cowboys fans think they are great when finishing 8-8. Soccer fans think ties are beautiful. They should be kindred spirits.

what about an MLS team?

follow DC United somewhat myself since their inception. their old logo was better.

I really want to hop onboard an MLS bandwagon. Seattle or Portland seems like a really fun team to pull for, but I'm holding out hope that Charlotte gets an MLS franchise soon.

i mean it wasn't that great of a post, he's basically just suggesting you follow a team that's gonna win because it's less fun to follow teams that lose

but yea, everton will break your heart

i know most sports fans feel this way about their teams though

this wake/detroit sports fan certainly does

ultimately, if you watch for a while you'll feel a kinship with a team eventually, based on either their style of play or their group of players

i like that everton is the working class liverpool team with ownership that won't just buy their way to success, it fits my sensibilities, but i also am perfectly content trying to verrrrry slowly build a young core and just get my heart broken every year

That last part is actually the toughest part about following a club outside of the top 4/5/6, IMO.

Even Arsenal has trouble holding on to top talent, so Everton is pretty much screwed. The absolute worst is watching someone like Bale rise up through the ranks and blossom into a top 10 talent in the world, only to wave goodbye when bigger names come calling. To Tottenham's credit, they actually reinvested the money they made from the Bale sale, so it wasn't entirely terrible, but there are plenty of teams who sell and just sit on the money *cough cough* looking at you Arsenal....

concussions can be an issue in soccer as well.

Bradley sure had a poor showing in most of the tourney.

I heard on NPR that there is a movement to ban heading until 14 due to youth concussion concerns.

thereff and rj agree on a topic folks. think about that. the two stupidest motherfuckers on this board agree.

I was going to quote TheReff's post and call it the best argument for soccer so far.

People have been saying that reality is wrong for almost half a century now. Reality has been right.

If you took a minute to look at the article, you'd see EPL averaged about 395,000 viewers during the season.

Basketball is the least watched big three sport. It averages over 2M viewers per game during the regular season. This is over 1100% more than soccer.

#rjmath

I can't believe I'm engaging you, but what about golf, tennis, and hockey, you rube?

Golf has an "L" in it, so it's safe. Plus, it's a little known fact that the original name for hockey was "hockey ball." Something was lost in the translation from Canadian to American.

Tennis? Definitely not a sport.

Golf has an "L" in it, so it's safe. Plus, it's a little known fact that the original name for hockey was "hockey ball." Something was lost in the translation from Canadian to American.

TheReff said "in in an L", which I can only assume means "ends with an L".

I heard on NPR that there is a movement to ban heading until 14 due to youth concussion concerns.

I heard that same story, but it seemed like a very small ground swell on it right now and I can't see it being implemented. I'd be ok with it though, not because of only the health reasons with how the skull isn't fully developed by that age, but because the game should be played with the ball on the ground to maximize technique and control.

I heard that same story, but it seemed like a very small ground swell on it right now and I can't see it being implemented. I'd be ok with it though, not because of only the health reasons with how the skull isn't fully developed by that age, but because the game should be played with the ball on the ground to maximize technique and control.

There is little doubt in my mind that soccer can handle the concussion problem a lot better than football can.

AC Milan plays Liverpool at Panthers Stadium on 8/2 in something called the International Champions Cup. I'd be all in if Suarez were going to be there. Is this a legit event or just soccer's version of the NFL preseason?

the grammarian was trying to say "end in an L" but he doesn't know how to type and constantly gets things wrong. golf, while containing an L, does not end in one.

AC Milan plays Liverpool at Panthers Stadium on 8/2 in something called the International Champions Cup. I'd be all in if Suarez were going to be there. Is this a legit event or just soccer's version of the NFL preseason?

It's basically a bunch of nationwide friendlies involving some of the biggest clubs in Europe. I doubt if Suarez will be there since I'm assuming he will be shipped off to Barcelona sooner rather than later. The good thing for Liverpool fans is that their first team should be there since England got bounced so early from the World Cup.

it's the preseason for the teams. they usually do these tours around the US or Asia to warm up for the season and to promote their brand. I saw Barcelona vs Manchester United at FedEx Field in 2011 and they started out with about half of their regular starters then backups rounding out the 11. By the second half you're mostly down to youth players trying to impress the coach enough to promote them to the senior squad (friendlies allow unlimited subs).

with it so close to the World Cup, I'm not sure if these teams' World Cup players will be fully back with the squad by then. usually clubs give them a bit longer break before they have to return to training.

MLS has higher average attendance than both the NBA and the NHL. Sure, TV is where the money is, but that fact is still somewhat surprising.

it's the preseason for the teams. they usually do these tours around the US or Asia to warm up for the season and to promote their brand. I saw Barcelona vs Manchester United at FedEx Field in 2011 and they started out with about half of their regular starters then backups rounding out the 11. By the second half you're mostly down to youth players trying to impress the coach enough to promote them to the senior squad (friendlies allow unlimited subs).

with it so close to the World Cup, I'm not sure if these teams' World Cup players will be fully back with the squad by then. usually clubs give them a bit longer break before they have to return to training.

I was also at that match -- Thiago scored a damn wondergoal! Hit from, what? 30 yards and just flew into the net.

Players are typically given 28-30 days off from the end of their WC matches until they report for pre-season activities. I would think most of the big names will be back for most of the "Champions Tour" or whatever the hell they are calling it these days.

Back