• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Advice for soccer noobs

Only 5 MLS stadiums are under 20k. Only 5 NBA arenas and 2 NHL are over 20k.
Sure, it would be one thing if these stadiums were maxed out which would push the attendance numbers above NBA and NHL. But there are only six MLS teams with average attendance above your 20k mark: Seattle (40,091), Toronto (22,591), Vancouver (21,000), Salt Lake (20,137), Portland (20,800), and LA Galaxy (20,372). Attendance numbers are also brought down by Columbus, which is producing Bucks-type attendance numbers and Chivas USA in LA which is sitting at like 7k a game.

All I'm saying is that MLS is at least holding its own, which at one time was a big question mark.

How's man city? I liked Kompany during the game and his respect for Timmy. Decent team to hop on board with?

Do it. DV7 needs a City fan to argue with.....you can only kick Liverpool around for so long, before it gets old. Just kidding, it never gets old, but he definitely needs a City fan to direct his Man Ure boner at.

Compare apples to apples. Last year, 4 MLS teams had average capacities of under 40%. Five more were under 80%.The lowest team in the NBA had 86.1% capacity attendance.

What's even more telling is the NBA plays 82 games versus 34 for MLS. This makes soccer tickets much scarcer.

The NHL had a lowest attendance team of 79.1%.

Advice for soccer noobs is to NEVER, EVER get into a discussion about the sport with soccer noobs.

Reactions: ONW
Advice for soccer noobs is to NEVER, EVER get into a discussion about the sport with soccer noobs.

Bah Humbug Townie.

I think there has been some good content in this thread and I've learned a lot from it. I'm not here to criticize the spot, but learn how to follow it better. There are a few trollers, but there are in every thread.

Bah Humbug Townie.

I think there has been some good content in this thread and I've learned a lot from it. I'm not here to criticize the spot, but learn how to follow it better. There are a few trollers, but there are in every thread.

haha i was joking! i wrote you a long response about soccer!

The Dynamos are a possibility. I am a compete soccer noob, but I have the impression (largely from this board) that the best soccer is in Europe. Plus, having watched a butt load of WC games, I know a few of the players now.

Go to a Dynamo game. I live in Austin and came down for one, and it was really fun. They have a bunch of good pre-game tailgating stuff going on as well.

I went by their stadium a few weeks ago and it looks really, really nice

Oh and when I want to get advice about the future of sports, it's definitely from someone that still thinks boxing and horse racing are worth paying any attention to.

Bah Humbug Townie.

To soccer fans, it's attacking them to bring up reality. To many, saying soccer is a great sport for little kids, but most leave it when they can play other sports is attacking soccer.

It's also "attacking" soccer to show that MLS does not draw the same percentage of capacity as any of our other major sports.

It's also "attacking"soccer to say it's a niche sport in the US. This has been shown for decades.

Typical soccer fan response. I didn't say anything like that.

why do you care?

Why don't you give me a list of the subjects on which I can comment?

If you actually read what I have posted, I have said soccer is a great first sport for kids. I also said it is a niche sport in the US. I haven't said anything bad about it.

Thanks for proving my point. :)

Typical soccer fan response. I didn't say anything like that.

yet the numbers keep growing. to echo townie, why do you care? the Big 4 sports have had a several decade head start. soccer will catch up. but you bring up these arguments for some reason, why? America has been to every World Cup since 1990, and for the first time ever we advanced out of the group in consecutive tournaments. the popularity has been bonkers for this Cup and I expect will be even higher in '18 (though kickoff times might hamper that a bit -- not our fault).

you can comment on whatever you want, i'm not telling you to stop talking about it

i'm just curious what your interest in the sport is

Compare apples to apples. Last year, 4 MLS teams had average capacities of under 40%. Five more were under 80%.The lowest team in the NBA had 86.1% capacity attendance.

What's even more telling is the NBA plays 82 games versus 34 for MLS. This makes soccer tickets much scarcer.

The NHL had a lowest attendance team of 79.1%.

In 2014, there is 1 team averaging under 40% (Chivas, who share the LA Galaxy stadium) and 5 others that are under 80% (all of those are places where capacity is at least 20K).

Back