• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After 21 hours bitching, Cruz votes with Democrats

Pretty sure the Pubs came looking for the religious right. Southern strategy worked for a while for the Pubs...now biting them in the ass. A marriage made in hell. Thanks, Nixon/Goldwater.

The Tea Party, the debt ceiling, and white Southern extremism: The goal, methods and passions of the Tea Party in the House are all characteristic of the radical Southern right

Quote:
----------
The Tea Party movement takes its name from the Boston Tea Party of 1773, when American patriots dumped British tea into Boston Harbor to protest British imperial power. But while New England was the center of resistance to the British empire, there are few New Englanders to be found in today’s Tea Party movement. It should be called the Fort Sumter movement, after the Southern attack on the federal garrison in Fort Sumter in South Carolina on April 12-13, 1861, that began the Civil War. Today’s Tea Party movement is merely the latest of a series of attacks on American democracy by the white Southern minority, which for more than two centuries has not hesitated to paralyze, sabotage or, in the case of the Civil War, destroy American democracy in order to get their way.
----------

I'll wager my avatar for a week on Christie not getting out of the GOP primaries. Look to DCDeac's post.

(And I'm 2-2 on avatar wagers so far. Ask Skins :cool:)

Lets say Obama fully crushes the tea party in this exchange and I mean REALLY crushes them on all fronts. And lets say this leads to a slight blood letting in 2014 with Dems staying in control of the Senate and maybe picking up a house seat or two. Are the pubs still going to follow a tea party line and not accept a Christie possibility? If so, then you are really looking at a landslide Democratic victory by Hillary.

Lets say Obama fully crushes the tea party in this exchange and I mean REALLY crushes them on all fronts. And lets say this leads to a slight blood letting in 2014 with Dems staying in control of the Senate and maybe picking up a house seat or two. Are the pubs still going to follow a tea party line and not accept a Christie possibility? If so, then you are really looking at a landslide Democratic victory by Hillary.

I think Obama and the Dems are eyeing the 17 seats they need to take back the house. There are 40 seats that are realistically in play (districts that Obama carried but have a Pub rep, or districts where he came within 2 points of carrying them). The longer this drags out, the better the odds of a House Dem revival. Which is why I can't for the life of me imagine what the House Pubs are thinking. They can't bring themselves to fold a terrible hand (that they dealt themselves), but by not doing so, they risk losing control of their lone platform, something that was very unlikely before they started playing economic Russian roulette for no strategic purpose.

Red Herring Alert!

Not a red herring at all. The religious right's idiocy has directly diluted the staying power of intellectual thought within the party. As a moderate Republican I'm not sticking around to hang out with people who believe the Bible is literal, use it to justify hatred of homosexuals, and don't live the Christian lifestyle which they profess to be so enamored with. These people are frauds and for the most part morons.

I'll wager my avatar for a week on Christie not getting out of the GOP primaries. Look to DCDeac's post.

(And I'm 2-2 on avatar wagers so far. Ask Skins :cool:)

Assuming that christie runs Ill take this bet. When the primaries roll around we can finalize the details assuming the bet is on. Would be a fun sideshow.

They ran Sarah Palin for VP so yes it is possible.

Remember when primaries come around. If Christie is running (for office...not jogging) lets wager avatars. We can set some reasonable boundaries and have some fun with it. You seem reasonable enough on these boards and we clearly have our political differences. Christie is going to squash everyone.

Is he gonna sit on them?

If Christie wins the nomination, he's going to have to pick a far right favorite like McCain and Romney did.

If Christie wins the nomination, he's going to have to pick a far right favorite like McCain and Romney did.

He won't. And the GOP base will still love him. He will have to pick a clear conservative like Obama did with Biden but he won't have to go to the far right corner.

Wrangor, I think you really underestimate what the process does to people.

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html

Cruz's GOP Senate colleagues can't stand him. Cruz is ambitious, but he can't win the 2016 GOP nomination when his own 'Pub colleagues are openly hostile to him. There aren't enough Senate seats up in 2014 for the composition of the Senate to become more favorable to Cruz. Santorum served 4 years in the House and 12 years in the Senate with 318 GOP colleagues and 3 endorsed him for President in 2012. If 99% of the people in your own party decline to endorse you, you have no chance. Cruz thinks he can trash his own colleagues and still get nominated for President. Cruz is academically accomplished, but his hubris and delusion will be his downfall.

It answered the question in the post directly before his. How does that have nothing to do with the thread?

he just didn't like the answer so deflected. that's ok.

numbers said it better than me (now let me go punch myself in the groin)

http://www.politico.com/story/2013/...gop-colleagues-government-shutdown-97753.html

Cruz's GOP Senate colleagues can't stand him. Cruz is ambitious, but he can't win the 2016 GOP nomination when his own 'Pub colleagues are openly hostile to him. There aren't enough Senate seats up in 2014 for the composition of the Senate to become more favorable to Cruz. Santorum served 4 years in the House and 12 years in the Senate with 318 GOP colleagues and 3 endorsed him for President in 2012. If 99% of the people in your own party decline to endorse you, you have no chance. Cruz thinks he can trash his own colleagues and still get nominated for President. Cruz is academically accomplished, but his hubris and delusion will be his downfall.

LOL @ comparing Santorum to Cruz.

Cruz being hated by a bunch of wishy washy gray haired Senators within his party will make him more popular with the GOP base. I don't even know why they make the quotes anonymous. They may as well be from McCain, Graham, and any number of other spineless GOP Senators. Honestly, who in the Senate for the GOP is popular right now? Not those guys. There is a reason Cruz is being made the bogeyman here-- he's a threat to win.

oh, and double LOL at GOP Senators blaming Cruz for the shutdown and not having a strategy to end it when the House is the impediment and not the Senate. Bunch of jealous old gray hairs...

Shit, at least Clinton was competent enough to make Gingrich the adversary during his shutdown.

Back