• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After losing election, 15 States form petitions to secede

I know it's very popular to rip white men but good god if you look at the achievements of white men it's unbelievable. Democracy, electricity, the intertubes, Ryan Seacrest...the list goes on.

And on and on and on. STRANGERS WALKING UP AND DOWN THE BOULEVARD

American Cheese, American Bandstand, American Idol, American Graffiti... you could go on and on what white men have achieved.

Slavery. What a smart economic system that was. White people FTW!

It's amazing to me how many nutjob southerners are still butthurt about the South losing the Civil War. Those fuckers would declare war on the North today if they could.

Or how many southerners try to say slavery wasn't the reason or that it wasn't treason to take up arms against the United States government.

There were many reasons that the Civil War happened. Slavery was one of those reasons; but it wasn't THE reason that the Civil War was fought.

It's amazing to me how many nutjob southerners are still butthurt about the South losing the Civil War. Those fuckers would declare war on the North today if they could.

it is funny how the further south you go the worse people are about this shit.

NC, while certainly no bastion of liberalism, diversity and acceptance, is like NYC compared to GA

There were many reasons that the Civil War happened. Slavery was one of those reasons; but it wasn't THE reason that the Civil War was fought.

The teacher who teaches the Civil War course at Wake agrees with this. I assure you, he knows more about it than anyone here.

I think it's stupid, but then again all of my ancestors were chilling in Europe when this happened.

it is funny how the further south you go the worse people are about this shit.

NC, while certainly no bastion of liberalism, diversity and acceptance, is like NYC compared to GA

NC has a lot of pockets of transplants that tip the scales a bit. Plus, from what I remember, this state wasn't so gung ho about the Civil War to begin with (someone can correct me there if I'm wrong). And Virginia has the DC and Richmond areas. Once you hit South Carolina, it's all "THE SOUTH WILL RISE AGAIN!"

North Carolina was the last state to secede, and did not secede until after (and largely because) President Lincoln called for 300,000 volunteers to put down the rebellion by force.

I think the only pertinent thing is that today's desire to secede is most certainly not driven by slavery.

All of this begs the larger question of why can't a state secede?

The teacher who teaches the Civil War course at Wake agrees with this. I assure you, he knows more about it than anyone here.

Ehhh... If there is no slavery, is there a civil war? I tend to doubt it.

North Carolina was the last state to secede, and did not secede until after (and largely because) President Lincoln called for 300,000 volunteers to put down the rebellion by force.

Which is why Sherman was a heck of a lot nicer to NC than he was GA & SC.

Ehhh... If there is no slavery, is there a civil war? I tend to doubt it.

Yeah, I'm not so sure here. Especially if someone posits the phrase "states rights" as a primary cause. The South would cry states rights when it suited their cause, but when their slaves ran away, they sure wanted the feds to enforce the Fugitive Slave Act.

You forgot genocide against red people. Ahhh, the good ol' days

Didn't forget about them. They weren't useful at forced labor like blacks, Asians and women were. They were unruly when we tried to enslave them, and they died off too easily when any ole' disease came around. That unruliness and lack of immunization made them terrible investments. So when we couldn't push them any farther west when we bumped into the Pacific Ocean, we had to do something. I mean, genocide was the only practical solution.

Back