• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

After the Women's March: Forward

A lifetime of experience in Public Office, including living in the white house for 8 years?

A phony foundation that raked in the cash?

Outspending your opponent by 15:1 (some crazy number)?

I mean this is just getting worse.. I should probably stop

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Still missed it.

Was just reading an analysis speculating that McCain's was a vote out of spite for the Comey firing

30 year old woman threw her hat in the ring to run as a Democrat against a 16 year Republican incumbent in Alabama's third district. She raised over $5000 in her first ~8 hours through Facebook and twitter word of mouth. She was hoping to raise $3500, the cost to get on the ballot, by February 9th, the last day to get on the ballot.

Not just any 30 year old. Former Miss America and news anchor in Columbus, GA. Should help get her more publicity. She was involved in the Miss America email scandal as one of the targets of the ugly emails.
http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2018/01/former_miss_america_mallory_ha.html

Looks like she's the only candidate running against him.

Yes, his previous opponent, Jessie Smith dropped out of the race about a month ago. Jessie was a good guy, progressive, black, army vet, but he'd lost to Mike Rogers twice.

Note however, that she was competing as Miss New York, which won't go over well.

I'm sure they'll seize on that. Her cred looks solid though. Grew up in AL. Competed in pageants in AL. Went to Auburn for a year. Moved to New York for college. Won Miss America. Moved around for work. Ended up back in her hometown working at the local TV station.

Good luck to her. Her issue as Miss America was child sexual abuse. Looks like she can keep talking about that issue.

30 year old woman threw her hat in the ring to run as a Democrat against a 16 year Republican incumbent in Alabama's third district. She raised over $5000 in her first ~8 hours through Facebook and twitter word of mouth. She was hoping to raise $3500, the cost to get on the ballot, by February 9th, the last day to get on the ballot.

Holy shit, since I posted this, an hour ago, she’s raised another $2000: https://www.crowdpac.com/campaigns/380799/mallory-hytes-hagan

So how does it work when a TV personality is running for office? Are there laws about what she can do on air?

So how does it work when a TV personality is running for office? Are there laws about what she can do on air?

The TV station she works for is actually technically out side the 3rd AL CD, since it is based in Columbus GA, but they do cover parts of East Alabama. I have no idea what the laws are.

I just checked her fund raising page, she raised over $10K in 2 days and she hasn't even officially announced her candidacy. There is some serious enthusiasm. Alabama's 3rd, btw, contains Lee County, which had a 44 point swing from Trump in 2016 to Jones in 2017. This Lady might have a chance at winning the seat.

The TV station she works for is actually technically out side the 3rd AL CD, since it is based in Columbus GA, but they do cover parts of East Alabama. I have no idea what the laws are.

I just checked her fund raising page, she raised over $10K in 2 days and she hasn't even officially announced her candidacy. There is some serious enthusiasm. Alabama's 3rd, btw, contains Lee County, which had a 44 point swing from Trump in 2016 to Jones in 2017. This Lady might have a chance at winning the seat.

Posted this on the Midterms thread. Based on the Jones vote, the 3rd could be a close race.

Alabama needs to start recruiting Democrats to run for the House. I posted this on the Moore thread, but I'll expand upon it here.

If yesterday's Alabama Senate race had been a House election, the Republicans, who got *fewer* votes, would have won 6 out of 7 seats, and the Democrats, who *won* the vote statewide, only 1 out of 7. That's how gerrymandered Alabama is.
25289374_10154848299540216_2992369197179841921_n.jpg

So that's an interesting story about gerrymander, but it's worth it to those numbers from the 2017 Senate election to the 2016 House elections.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_House_of_Representatives_elections_in_Alabama,_2016

District 1 - R 96.4% vs. write-ins
District 2 - R 48.8% to D 40.5%
District 3 - R 66.9% to D 32.9%
District 4 - R 98.5% vs. write-ins
District 5 - R 66.7% vs. D 33.1%
District 6 - R 74.5% vs. D 25.4%
District 7 - D 98.4% vs. write-ins

Alabama has 7 House representatives and 3 just coasted in unopposed. How is that democracy?

District 1 wasn’t even contested and went 47% for Jones.
District 2 actually had a higher margin for Moore than the R rep.
District 3 was a blowout in 2016 and within 3% points on Tuesday.
District 4 is locked in for Republicans, but there’s 30% who went the other way.
District 5 was a 33% blowout last year and within 0.3% this year.
District 6 was near a 50% blowout last year and near 4% on Tuesday.
District 7 is clearly meant to pen in black voters, but there’s 21% who seemingly get no voice in regular elections.

One uncontested election and three blowouts are seemingly in reach next year. District 5 is Mo Brooks who recently announced he has prostate cancer. Democrats should key in on that district. Huntsville is one of the more educated parts of the state.

Posted this on the Midterms thread. Based on the Jones vote, the 3rd could be a close race.

Those districts are a shit-show of gerrymandering. 3, 2, and 7 carve Montgomery into three separate districts and 7, 6 and 3 carve up Birmingham and it's suburbs. For what it's worth, Jessie Smith, the Dem candidate for the 3rd district in 2016, told me (I met him at a Bernie Sanders rally and again at the local "March for Science") that he had a total campaign budget of $10,000 from the DNC plus a few thousand (<$5K) that he raised on his own and he still managed 33% of the vote. Mallory Hagan, has raised nearly his entire 2016 budget in 2 days with only facebook and twitter word of mouth.

Having interviewed with Ramsey Solutions, none of this comes as a shock to me. The place is a cult.

A Woman’s Perspective: What It’s Really Like To Work for Dave Ramsey

"This is really no surprise, though, since the CEO of the company makes no secret of his affinity for the Billy Graham (or Mike Pence) rule. If you’re a woman, Dave won’t get in the elevator with you alone. He unapologetically boasts about it. During one staff meeting, he went on and on about how he wouldn’t sit with a female colleague at breakfast during an out-of-town live event because it might appear wrong. Or, maybe it would look like you’re eating breakfast? Just an idea.

There’s also an unspoken — but widely known — rule that male and female colleagues can’t be alone in a car together."

Last edited:
at first i thought it was about Gordon Ramsay and I was about to get super bummed

How Trump is helping Democrats win in unlikely places.

First, there really is a huge Trump effect. But it’s a mistake to reduce this simply to the widely discussed explosion in Democratic turnout we’ve been seeing. In many of these races, Post says, Trump has also produced a willingness of better-quality candidates to run who had previously refrained from doing so, as well as a big explosion in volunteer activity.

That volunteer activity is “a common factor in all of our special election wins,” Post told me. “Some of these people marched in the women’s march. They never volunteered before. Now they’re showing up at campaign offices.” Post adds that in one Minnesota special election, even though the temperature dropped to negative 15 degrees, “there were 25 people out door-knocking.”

These Women Mostly Ignored Politics. Now, Activism Is Their Job.

Their goals have become both narrower and more ambitious: Yes, to achieve Democratic victories in this fall’s midterm elections, but also, more fundamentally, to rebuild the Democratic Party from the ground up, including in long-neglected places won by Mr. Trump. In party primaries in Pennsylvania next week, they will be focused not just on the congressional and governor races, but on their local Democratic committees, the county-level governing boards — an office so little celebrated that many of the seats have long sat vacant.

“It was not, ‘Oh my God, the Democratic Party is too far to the left or to the right,’” said Lara Putnam, a history professor at the University of Pittsburgh who has both participated in and studied the new grass-roots groups. “It was that we assumed the infrastructure was there and it’s not.”

“Grass-roots groups across the state have been focused on gaining control of the Democratic State Committee, which oversees nominations for statewide candidates and the platform, and have been aggressively recruiting candidates in an effort to dislodge the existing — and to many, sclerotic — local leadership.”

Calling MDMH...

This is happening in Alabama too. We've got local women from a group called Alabama Together running for my district's congressional seat, as well as the state legislature and the state senate as Democrats. That's in addition to city council and the school board. All of them are liberal/progressive and almost all had never previously engaged in politics out of hopelessness in the Deep South.

Back