• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aldi own-label gin beats more expensive rivals in blind taste test

marquee moon

Banhammer'd
Reaction score
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2013/apr/22/aldi-own-label-gin-taste

An own-label supermarket gin costing less than £10 has won a top award and seen off competition from well-known brands and niche rivals costing more than five times its price.

Aldi's Oliver Cromwell London Dry Gin, which costs £9.65 for a 70cl bottle, impressed judges in blind taste tests at the prestigious International Spirits Challenge 2013. It picked up a silver medal alongside more expensive rivals including The London No 1 Gin, which sells for £35 at Harrods, and the Worship Street Whistling Shop Cream Gin, which costs £55.95.

The so-called Bathtub Gin from the Professor Cornelius Ampleforth range of spirits and liqueurs was awarded a gold medal in the premium and super premium categories. Costing £32.95 for a 70cl bottle, it is made in Tunbridge Wells, Kent.

Famous mainstream brands such as Bombay Sapphire (£21.70) and artisan favourite Hendricks (£26.39) fell short in the eyes of the experts. Both were awarded bronze medals despite being more than twice as expensive as their value Aldi rival.

pine-sol.jpg

my personal favorite is broker's... but i mostly just enjoy messing with the little top hat

They actually named it "Oliver Cromwell?" How did their Adolf Hitler Fruitcake stack up? Or their Josef Stalin Oricchiette? Excuse me, I'll have some of the Aldi Jeff Dahmer Supreme Pizza, please.

juniper and pine are totally different; i feel like most people form liquor preferences in college (or earlier) and just act like assholes about it for the rest of their lives

the best part about being a gin drinker is nobody wants to drink your gin. i miss those days. now my asshole friends are taking my woodford reserve and drowning it in freaking coke. i may switch back to gin

the best part about being a gin drinker is nobody wants to drink your gin. i miss those days. now my asshole friends are taking my woodford reserve and drowning it in freaking coke. i may switch back to gin

lolzz

I feel like gin is something people come to later in life. And part of that is that if you're in college shitty gin is way shittier than a lot of other cheap boozes (outside of maybe really cheap tequila).

That being said, Gordon's makes a fine gin and is quite affordable.

Just came across a gin called "The Cardinal" made in NC and stocked in NC ABC stores. Pretty good, has a stronger herb profile than most of my regulars. Little bit of liquorice flavor backing the juniper.

I love gin. However, it isn't something that one simply stumbles into.

Back