• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Aldi own-label gin beats more expensive rivals in blind taste test

I'd love you to tell these guys that vodka is a girly drink.

e8uqugeg.jpg

the guy on the left looks like the best guy to be around drinking.. just a good time

gin is definitely my favorite liquor for cocktails

nothing beats a good gin and tonic except for 10 good gin and tonics

Can we turn this thread into "bet gin cocktails?" I haven't had gin since college, so I don't know any.

Gin is only part of the Baltimore Zoo:

1 shot vodka
1 shot light rum
1 shot gin
1 shot triple sec
1 shot Southern Comfort® peach liqueur
1 shot amaretto almond liqueur
1 shot grenadine syrup
1 dash sweet and sour mix
1 splash beer

Gin is only part of the Baltimore Zoo:

1 shot vodka
1 shot light rum
1 shot gin
1 shot triple sec
1 shot Southern Comfort® peach liqueur
1 shot amaretto almond liqueur
1 shot grenadine syrup
1 dash sweet and sour mix
1 splash beer

They should rename that mess the infield at the preakness.

Can we turn this thread into "bet gin cocktails?" I haven't had gin since college, so I don't know any.

good gin with a good tonic and a fresh lime is really all you need to know. Martinis if you really like gin a lot. A nice Hendrick's martini with some cucumber liqueur instead of vermouth and fresh cucumbers as garnish is pretty awesome. The Proximity Hotel here in GSO makes them.

They actually named it "Oliver Cromwell?" How did their Adolf Hitler Fruitcake stack up? Or their Josef Stalin Oricchiette? Excuse me, I'll have some of the Aldi Jeff Dahmer Supreme Pizza, please.

So I take it you're Irish?

Here's one of my favorites, and was one of the first cocktails I had that got me into the whole mixology thing.

The Suffering Bastard

1 ounce Makers Mark Bourbon
1 ounce Hendrick's Gin
1 ounce fresh lime juice
1 dash Angostura Bitters

Stir over rocks in an Old Fashioned glass
Top with 3-4 ounces of Ginger Beer (or Ginger Ale if you don't have ginger beer)

Garnish with orange slice

(Feel free to alter the liquors with any other gin/bourbons you like - works best with a sweeter bourbon like Makers and a gin with some flavor like Hendricks though - especially if you get some spicer/less sweet ginger beer)

sweet bourbon like some old weller 12-year?

(hoping that is enough to draw out bears n deacs and have him dominate this thread with pics of pappy van winkle and rare four roses bottles)

the best part about being a gin drinker is nobody wants to drink your gin. i miss those days. now my asshole friends are taking my woodford reserve and drowning it in freaking coke. i may switch back to gin

They should be shot.

Huge gin fan here, but I came to it later in life.

Gotta agree that Woodford Reserve and Coke is a great way to ruin two good drinks.

Bourbon
Other Whiskeys
Vodka
Rum (Only in summer with blended fruit and ice)

I like gin. And all kinds of whisk(e)y. Don't generally like sweet drinks or cocktails with lots of ingredients. Keep it simple for me please.

The brand of gin I like is generally the one I'm used to. It's funny. If I really like brand X but end up for a while drinking brand Y then go back to brand X, it tastes "off" for a bit until my taste adapts again. Doesn't matter the actual brand, generally.

My favorite way to drink gin is to just shake gently with ice, add a touch of dry vermouth, and an olive or two. I use a little spritzer to add the vermouth. Just easier to add the tiny bit I prefer.

I've been using small batch tonic in my Gin Tonics lately and it is fantastic. You can adjust the quinine flavor to your preference.

bottle-jr.jpg

Just came across a gin called "The Cardinal" made in NC and stocked in NC ABC stores. Pretty good, has a stronger herb profile than most of my regulars. Little bit of liquorice flavor backing the juniper.

Got a fifth yesterday. Will make some G&Ts and report back.

Back