• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal - Punter

It's a shame we don't have anybody on ogboards who can fill us in.

Ha. Well. The Short Version.

Had 2 really good years with Seattle 2006 (5th in Gross in NFL), and 2007 (30-6 I20/TB Ratio), but gross went down some. I felt I hit the ball better my second year, but we were directional punting a lot more with new ST coach. I had better grades with a lower avg if that makes sense.

Off-season 2007, tear my Pec benching (Insert: Why is the punter bench pressing?!), but yeah. That knocked me out all of the off-season and camp except for 2 weeks. Went up to some crazy wind in Buffalo not really in mid-season form and told not to tackle anyone because pec wasn't fully healed. Had rough game, cut. I used to be bitter about the medical situation, rushed me back to essentially cut me. But I had a terrible game, and that's what happens when you have a bad game.

Picked up By Zorn, who I had a great relationship with in Sea. Punted really well for the skins, 3rd highest avg in league from time I was signed till end of the season and 1 NFL Special Teams player of the week awards. On a 1 year contract. Saw my phone ring around Feb from Skins, thought it was a new contract offer. Calling to let me know they weren't picking me up. Don't know why.

By then, I'm 4 times the cost of the rookies (because of CBA) I would have loved to play for my rookie pay for 20 years. But just can't do that.. Vets do play, but I wasn't the top 5-8 guys, Probably 10-20 I thought. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to gain 1 yard per punt and pay the guy 600k more than a rookie. I was picked up on Waivers by Cinci. Punted well all off season. They drafted the best punter in the draft, who happened to go to University of Cincinnati. Saw writing on the wall, asked for release to hopefully catch on in another camp where I had a chance. Didn't happen.

Last edited:
LOL. There's least one person on this thread who knows his stuff who disagrees.

Based on raw talent, i still think he's a prospect.

The technique we are using is killing his chances though. The roll out end over end punt is not used in the NFL. Different release rules for the line, only gunners can be past LOS. The NFL needs to see a lot of tape on traditional punting. From spot checking his times, his get off time is just fine when we do that. and he has NFL hang time, although not top end. He needs to show he can be very consistent.

My guess is that he will get signed to a team as a FA who wants to push their punter who might be coming off a bad year. There will be an opportunity if he crushes the ball in camp. But its just very hard. 1 bad practice, and a starter goes down, and the backup punter is first guy released.

ETA: the roll out punt is crazy effective in college game. Its very easy to do, and almost impossible to return. I think they should change the college rules to match the NFLs, and we'd see a lot less of that. You can't stop doing it just to help Kinals NFL chances, because it truly is better for the team.

Last edited:
By then, I'm 4 times the cost of the rookies (because of CBA) I would have loved to play for my rookie pay for 20 years. But just can't do that.. Vets do play, but I wasn't the top 5-8 guys, Probably 10-20 I thought. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to gain 1 yard per punt and pay the guy 600k more than a rookie.

I know it's part of the CBA and was negotiated to be in the best interest of the players, yada, yada, yada.... but that sucks. If someone is willing to do what they love and is willing to take less $$, it just seems wrong to deny them of that ability.

What do punters in the CFL make? Was that ever a viable option?

I know it's part of the CBA and was negotiated to be in the best interest of the players, yada, yada, yada.... but that sucks. If someone is willing to do what they love and is willing to take less $$, it just seems wrong to deny them of that ability.

What do punters in the CFL make? Was that ever a viable option?

I think most make between the Minimum (50,000 US and up to 100,000 if they kick and punt). but believe they are taxed twice. Guys go up there and get stuck. ANd its damn cold for this San Diego boy ;-)

I thought one of the things you had to do in the NFL is punt using 1 step, which caused Plackemeier a lot of problems. I can see Alex having the same issues. He's not a 1 step and punt guy.

And this is incorrect.

There are 2 and 3 step punters in NFL. About 1/2 and 1/2. The real target was 2.1 seconds snap to kick with no rush, 1.9 with rush. I was 2.1 with a 2 step and about 1.65 with a 1 step.

Alex is 1.9 with a 2 step. The roll out punt I just throw out. The blocking allows him more time. So he's actually quite fast when the situation calls for it.

I think most make between the Minimum (50,000 US and up to 100,000 if they kick and punt). but believe they are taxed twice. Guys go up there and get stuck. ANd its damn cold for this San Diego boy ;-)

You technically get taxed twice but you get a credit on your US taxes for anything paid to Canada for income taxes. So, in reality, you're not really getting double taxed you just pay the higher of the Canadian or the US rate.

You technically get taxed twice but you get a credit on your US taxes for anything paid to Canada for income taxes. So, in reality, you're not really getting double taxed you just pay the higher of the Canadian or the US rate.

Thanks. Good to know I guess.

Ha. Well. The Short Version.

Had 2 really good years with Seattle 2006 (5th in Gross in NFL), and 2007 (30-6 I20/TB Ratio), but gross went down some. I felt I hit the ball better my second year, but we were directional punting a lot more with new ST coach. I had better grades with a lower avg if that makes sense.

Off-season 2007, tear my Pec benching (Insert: Why is the punter bench pressing?!), but yeah. That knocked me out all of the off-season and camp except for 2 weeks. Went up to some crazy wind in Buffalo not really in mid-season form and told not to tackle anyone because pec wasn't fully healed. Had rough game, cut. I used to be bitter about the medical situation, rushed me back to essentially cut me. But I had a terrible game, and that's what happens when you have a bad game.

Picked up By Zorn, who I had a great relationship with in Sea. Punted really well for the skins, 3rd highest avg in league from time I was signed till end of the season and 1 NFL Special Teams player of the week awards. On a 1 year contract. Saw my phone ring around Feb from Skins, thought it was a new contract offer. Calling to let me know they weren't picking me up. Don't know why.

By then, I'm 4 times the cost of the rookies (because of CBA) I would have loved to play for my rookie pay for 20 years. But just can't do that.. Vets do play, but I wasn't the top 5-8 guys, Probably 10-20 I thought. Just doesn't make a lot of sense to gain 1 yard per punt and pay the guy 600k more than a rookie. I was picked up on Waivers by Cinci. Punted well all off season. They drafted the best punter in the draft, who happened to go to University of Cincinnati. Saw writing on the wall, asked for release to hopefully catch on in another camp where I had a chance. Didn't happen.

Appreciate your posting this. I always knew it was really tough to get/keep NFL punter job, but didn't understand the economics and other factors involved.

I used to make a point of getting to the games early to watch and listen to Plack warm up. Loved to hear the "THUNK" when he'd hit the ball.

Back