• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal - Ray Guy Award Player of the Week

SDeacz

Reaction score
Augusta, GA (September 8, 2015) - The Augusta Sports Council and Ray Guy Award are proud to announce Alex Kinal of Wake Forest University as the Ray Guy Award Player of the Week.

Kinal had a total of four punts and 197 yards in the win at home against Elon. He averaged 49.2 yards per punt with three punts marked inside the 20-yard line, and had a net punting average of 49.2 yards. Kinal's longest punt was 70 yards

Link

Kinal for Heisman!!!!

Seriously, Kinal's season average is probably going to get hurt by the rugby punting style we use a lot. It's rare we let him really get his leg into one. The punt he hit from deep in our own territory was a freaking rocket. Of course long punts like that often don't allow time for your coverage to get down field, so net punting is the important stat.

Last edited:
Kinal for Heisman!!!!

Seriously, Kinal's season average is probably going to get hurt by the rugby punting style we use a lot. It's rare we let him really get his leg into one. The punt he hit from deep in our own territory was a freaking rocket. Of course long punts like that often don't allow time for your coverage to get down field, so net punting is the important stat.

Yet again, you dumb.

He used the rugby style punts to effect of a 49.3 average last game.

Yet again, you dumb.

He used the rugby style punts to effect of a 49.3 average last game.

Good Lord almighty, how stupid can you be. The normal punt of 70 yards is what gave him that good of an average. Since you're so smart, go figure out what his average would've been with only the rugby punts.

Last edited:
The ability to switch the field and to do so without returns is a huge weapon. That along with a decent defense should give us a decent shot at some games where we are picked to lose big. Field position is so important for a team that is not likely to sustain long drives due to OL weaknesses.

He had 3 rugby punts and one normal. I think the normal punt was the 70 yarder

Yea I'm saying it's not likely to hurt his average this season. His rugby punt average is still over 40 yards, among the nation's leaders.

It looked like he missed a little on one of the Rugby kicks. It didn't go that far, and there was a lot of field to work with.

Kinal's ability to kick both styles will help him win a job working Sundays next year. Big leg for some legit long bombs conventional style. Rugby style to limit returns and get the ball downed inside the 10.

He has no interest in playing on Sundays. Plans to return home and join the military.

He has no interest in playing on Sundays. Plans to return home and join the military.

If he does that, he'll be working Sundays anyway. Just for a lot lower salary. And not as good working conditions.

Great news for Kinal.
Hope he gets a few more before the season's over.
49.2 avg is a pretty good start.

Great news for Kinal.
Hope he gets a few more before the season's over.
49.2 avg is a pretty good start.

If he keeps an average like that throughout the season he will win the Ray Guy Award in a landslide. If I recall, Plackemeier won the award with like a 46.5 average.
That 70 yarder coulda been even better I felt like. I thought it took an extremely soft first bounce.

If he keeps an average like that throughout the season he will win the Ray Guy Award in a landslide. If I recall, Plackemeier won the award with like a 46.5 average.
That 70 yarder coulda been even better I felt like. I thought it took an extremely soft first bounce.

Yeah, for a 70 yard punt, he didn't get much roll. It actually wasn't as high as you might think either, it was just a rocket spiral. You couldn't shoot one out of the jugs machine any better.

Yeah, for a 70 yard punt, he didn't get much roll. It actually wasn't as high as you might think either, it was just a rocket spiral. You couldn't shoot one out of the jugs machine any better.

If anyone was around to see Chuck Ramsey punt in the mid 70's, he would regularly hit it 70 yds in the air.
I think he set a record in a game against MD.......13 punts for 603 yds for a 46.4 yd avg.
Chuck was 1st team All American and punted for the Jets for quite a few years.
He as also a good high jumper and a very good tennis player.

I hope we run a fake punt at some point this year and let him either run or throw for substantial yardage.

If anyone was around to see Chuck Ramsey punt in the mid 70's, he would regularly hit it 70 yds in the air.
I think he set a record in a game against MD.......13 punts for 603 yds for a 46.4 yd avg.
Chuck was 1st team All American and punted for the Jets for quite a few years.
He as also a good high jumper and a very good tennis player.

He did color analyst for our radio broadcasts 2 years ago didn't he? We've had some really good punters, Harry Newsome and Plack come to mind as well as Ramsey.

He did color analyst for our radio broadcasts 2 years ago didn't he? We've had some really good punters, Harry Newsome and Plack come to mind as well as Ramsey.

Chuck had been working at a radio station in Knoxville. Told me he was pretty tired of orange (before it became the new black). Did color commentary for Wake FB for a season. Was hoping that would become a permanent gig, but it doesn't seem to have done so.

I hope we run a fake punt at some point this year and let him either run or throw for substantial yardage.

And hurt his Kinal Kount? No way.

I'll post this here instead of a new thread. At Clawson's 9/8 press conference Kinal stated that he saw the punt returner up too close, so he boomed it (paraphrasing) on the 70 yard punt. I thought it was interesting that he has that freedom to change the punt based on defensive positioning.

Back