• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal - Ray Guy Award Player of the Week

What do you think about Kinal's pro prospects?

If he gets "traditional" punting down, he's a great prospect. It will all depend on how he performs in workouts, pro day/Combine. They'll ask him to directional punt, get ball off in 1.8 seconds, some things he may not be as comfortable with as Aussie I20 punts. He'll be the best at the combine at that though and it won't be close. He's better than most pros I've seen.

I have no idea, and pros probably don't either, how consistent he is at "traditional" punting, because from what I can see, he only does that 25% of the time? Also the roll out punts don't help his cause.

The scouts will want to know "How bad is your miss". There's a lot of strong kids out there, and consistent punters, but when you miss one, will it cost us a game or can we live with it?

Thanks. It seems to me like Kinal's chances come down to finding the staff who is willing to move away from traditional punting and punt coverage. We haven't seen him coffin corner punt much. It seems like NFL staffs want to pin teams inside the 5 with no chance of a return at the risk of a touchback. Kinal avoids touchbacks. If Kinal is anywhere close to midfield, odds are it's a fair catch at the 10. Is that going to fly for most special teams coaches? Will they still be afraid of a Tyler Lockett taking it to the house anyway?

Thanks. It seems to me like Kinal's chances come down to finding the staff who is willing to move away from traditional punting and punt coverage. We haven't seen him coffin corner punt much. It seems like NFL staffs want to pin teams inside the 5 with no chance of a return at the risk of a touchback. Kinal avoids touchbacks. If Kinal is anywhere close to midfield, odds are it's a fair catch at the 10. Is that going to fly for most special teams coaches? Will they still be afraid of a Tyler Lockett taking it to the house anyway?

I could be wrong, but Kinal seems to have an absurdly high hang time as well on most of his punts.

Does anyone remember the interview Plack did I think with WFDD when he was in the league? I caught a bit of it and he was talking about the transition to the pro game. I remember it as being interesting. He said the hardest part was consistently hitting the same spot with the same timing, or something to that effect. He said NFL coaches never asked him to boom one or try and change the field. Just kick it to where the coverage was going. Not sure if Kinals skill set matches that philosophy.

If only Plack were around to answer that question. Heard he is living in the remote northwest with no running water or internet access so guess its just vague recollection of interviews to go off of.

Does anyone remember the interview Plack did I think with WFDD when he was in the league? I caught a bit of it and he was talking about the transition to the pro game. I remember it as being interesting. He said the hardest part was consistently hitting the same spot with the same timing, or something to that effect. He said NFL coaches never asked him to boom one or try and change the field. Just kick it to where the coverage was going. Not sure if Kinals skill set matches that philosophy.

Yeah it'd be awesome to hear Plack's take on Kinal's pro prospects. Maybe someone can hunt him down and see.

If only Plack were around to answer that question. Heard he is living in the remote northwest with no running water or internet access so guess its just vague recollection of interviews to go off of.

I'm not always great with sarcasm but I sense some here. Is he a poster and I'm just not in the know? SDeacz? If so ha! Enjoyed watching you play. Also if I misrepresented your interview mia culpa.

Great anecdote on the coaches show today about Kinal messing around with wide receivers before/after practices. The receivers would run routes and would hit them in stride...with punts.

Great anecdote on the coaches show today about Kinal messing around with wide receivers before/after practices. The receivers would run routes and would hit them in stride...with punts.

So if Wolford can't go Saturday and Hinton gets hurt, we don't have to burn Kearns shirt?

I'm an old guy, so I enjoyed watching both Plack and Harry. Those punts would bring rain!

Can we keep the total punt count on this thread too? What are we up to now?

Clawson said on his show that if Hinton goes down, Kearns is coming in. He said it would be unfair to the rest of the team not to use the best available QB this season. Redshirt be damned.

I was actually kidding, basically implying that Kinal could "punt pass" based on the 94's post above.

Can we keep the total punt count on this thread too? What are we up to now?

My count has him with 275 for 11,398 ,the record is 322 for 13,621. He needs 48 for 2,224 to break the all time records. He'll get half of what he needs versus F$U, ND, Clemson.

My count has him with 275 for 11,398 ,the record is 322 for 13,621. He needs 48 for 2,224 to break the all time records. He'll get half of what he needs versus F$U, ND, Clemson.

Ha, I didn't see the context above your post and wondered what that question was doing on a Kinal thread.

Kinal has 276 punts so he needs 47. Started the year at 262, has 14 this year. Source: I've been tracking his punts each week for the last three years

Back