• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Alex Kinal - Ray Guy Award Player of the Week

I'll post this here instead of a new thread. At Clawson's 9/8 press conference Kinal stated that he saw the punt returner up too close, so he boomed it (paraphrasing) on the 70 yard punt. I thought it was interesting that he has that freedom to change the punt based on defensive positioning.

Scheier implemented that last year. It's really difficult to scheme against if you can trust your punter with that decision making. I would suspect it hinders your coverage ability though. I know you'll see a lot more of it from other teams going forward.

I'll post this here instead of a new thread. At Clawson's 9/8 press conference Kinal stated that he saw the punt returner up too close, so he boomed it (paraphrasing) on the 70 yard punt. I thought it was interesting that he has that freedom to change the punt based on defensive positioning.

Also pretty rare that a punter has the capability to boom it over the returner's head if he so desires.

What a weapon.

“I had the wind coming at my back and he was standing, it seemed, like 40 yards away,’’ Kinal said. “I thought, ‘That’s too close for you buddy.’

“So I kicked it over his head.’’

:D

“I had the wind coming at my back and he was standing, it seemed, like 40 yards away,’’ Kinal said. “I thought, ‘That’s too close for you buddy.’

I loved that quote too!!!!

He has been great!
And, it seems some other punters are doing some of his bump and roll style effectively. He is setting a trend in college football.

Wonder if the team has some sort of call or signal so the cover guys (particularly the gunners) know what Kinal is going to do, particularly if he has the authority to change the plan at the last second.

Sports-reference.com shows Kinal with 271 career punts, which I think includes the first two games this year. If accurate, that leaves him 52 short of the record. Can he get there with 10 more games?

Sports-reference.com shows Kinal with 271 career punts, which I think includes the first two games this year. If accurate, that leaves him 52 short of the record. Can he get there with 10 more games?

That's only 5.2 punts per game the rest of the way, I'd say it's in the bag.

That's only 5.2 punts per game the rest of the way, I'd say it's in the bag.

Depends entirely on Wolford's ability to not throw interceptions and hold onto the ball when he's getting sacked on 3rd and 17.

Really just depends on Kinal not getting hurt and Clawson deciding to punt on fourth.

Kinal would have to have 20 fewer punts this year than any of his first three years to not get there.

Really just depends on Kinal not getting hurt and Clawson deciding to punt on fourth.

Kinal would have to have 20 fewer punts this year than any of his first three years to not get there.

On some teams that is four or five games worth of punts.

Hold of the year today. Scouts will definitely see that. Very important skill.

Yep - that hold basically won the game today. Props to Weaver for keeping his composure and making it look like a routine kick as well.

What do you think about Kinal's pro prospects?

Back