• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Do you really think Danny's agent could get an $18M buyout for last Spring and ZERO for after this season? Or even half that amount?

$18M is more than was left on his contract. Why would there ever be such a buyout?

My bad, using logic and the real world will never get through.

Do you really think Danny's agent could get an $18M buyout for last Spring and ZERO for after this season? Or even half that amount?

$18M is more than was left on his contract. Why would there ever be such a buyout?

Neither of your statements are what was reported. What was reported by Jeff Goodman is that Danny Manning signed a six year contract extension through the 2024/2025 season. The reported value of the contract was around $18 million and it was fully guaranteed.

It would make sense that Danny's contract year would be May 1 through April 30. Hence, Wake would have owed Danny $18 million if he was fired last spring.

Wake has been paying on the contract extension, probably since May 1, 2019 and reducing the "buyout" by each payment.

Simple arithmetic of 72 months of extension and $18 million means that each month of payments reduces the remaining balance due by approximately 1/4 million dollars.

That would mean that the approximate remaining amount owed would be $16 million as of Dec 31, 2019. At the end of April, the remaining value would be about $15 million. As time passes, the remaining value (and buyout number) will continue to decrease.

All the numbers are approximate because the original $18 million report was an approximate value and we have no information about the distribution of payments over the years. The annual payment could be lower this season and higher in the 2024/2025 season.

The only thing acknowledged by Wake is the six year extension.

You are so fucking bad at math...

It's equal parts sad and hilarious that he's been using made up sources to argue against something that he doesn't even come close to comprehending in the first place.

It's almost like he's pushing a conspiracy theory. Who do we know who does that ?

Because it’s a guaranteed contract not a buyout.

Neither of your statements are what was reported. What was reported by Jeff Goodman is that Danny Manning signed a six year contract extension through the 2024/2025 season. The reported value of the contract was around $18 million and it was fully guaranteed.

It would make sense that Danny's contract year would be May 1 through April 30. Hence, Wake would have owed Danny $18 million if he was fired last spring.

Wake has been paying on the contract extension, probably since May 1, 2019 and reducing the "buyout" by each payment.

Simple arithmetic of 72 months of extension and $18 million means that each month of payments reduces the remaining balance due by approximately 1/4 million dollars.

That would mean that the approximate remaining amount owed would be $16 million as of Dec 31, 2019. At the end of April, the remaining value would be about $15 million. As time passes, the remaining value (and buyout number) will continue to decrease.

All the numbers are approximate because the original $18 million report was an approximate value and we have no information about the distribution of payments over the years. The annual payment could be lower this season and higher in the 2024/2025 season.

The only thing acknowledged by Wake is the six year extension.

The first key part of what your said is "by each payment". Under your theory, we would still owe Danny $15M after this season. Thus, if this is true, it would have made more financial sense to have fired him last year and made millions more from the new coach being here versus the losses we are incurring keeping him.

The second key part of your post is "The only thing acknowledged by Wake is the six year extension." You may have caught it, but the rest of the board hasn't understood. That the entire story is from Jeff Goodman. No one else hgas confirmed his story.

I stand by what I know; what I've seen and from whom it originated. I have absolutely no question about this and take the info I'm sharing over anyone on this board or Jeff Goodman.

I have seen indications in the media that wake likely renegotiated the contract with a set buy out if Manning didn't meet certain performance metrics for this year. That always sounded to me like the most reasonable scenario of what happened last year.

Why would he give back money if the contract is ironclad?

Who said it went from $18M to $0 after this year?

I have seen indications in the media that wake likely renegotiated the contract with a set buy out if Manning didn't meet certain performance metrics for this year. That always sounded to me like the most reasonable scenario of what happened last year.

Now THAT actually makes sense.

Why would he give back money if the contract is ironclad?

So he doesn't get fired and has a chance to keep his job longer than one year with decent performance this year, however unlikely that may be? Dunno.

Now THAT actually makes sense.

Why does it make sense to give back millions of dollars for a season you know aren't going to be successful?

On top of that, he will be one of the Top 3 coaches on the hot seat all year. By sucking more this year, he harms his chances to be a HC even more.

So he doesn't get fired and has a chance to keep his job longer than one year with decent performance this year, however unlikely that may be? Dunno.

The only thing dumber than giving a terrible coach a $18 million guaranteed contract is that coach agreeing to renegotiate that contract.

Please share your sources.

The first key part of what your said is "by each payment". Under your theory, we would still owe Danny $15M after this season. Thus, if this is true, it would have made more financial sense to have fired him last year and made millions more from the new coach being here versus the losses we are incurring keeping him.

No shit Sherlock...that argument was made continually last spring.

Guaranteed contracts are idiotic anyway. A coach making $2M+ a year doesn’t need the security of getting paid for not working. They just made $2M.

Well, they don't need 2 million in the first place. Market value for college coaches is idiotic. Yet, it is our priorities, currently. As you have noted, more of that money could go to the direct benefit of the athletes.
If Goodman's reporting is close to accurate, we way overshot market value for guaranteeing Manning's contract.

All the rj attacks make some threads unreadable. Just put him on ignore. Please.

Back