• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

"Such was the case upon Currie’s departure from Manhattan. He excelled in financial matters, which played to his background in development. When it came to coaching transitions, though, Currie operated against fan sentiment.
In basketball, when then K-State AD Currie didn’t support men’s basketball Frank Martin strongly enough, the wildly popular coach left Manhattan for South Carolina. His replacement, Bruce Weber, was met with a tepid response.
Then there was the recent report, again from McMurphy, that Currie attempted to orchestrate Bill Snyder’s succession with a lucrative offer to former assistant Jim Leavitt as coach-in-waiting. Snyder said he offered Leavitt a job but said he was unaware of any succession plan."

As I wrote earlier, ask the KSU (and USC fans) what they think of Weber and Martin now.

Both the head basketball coach and head football coach at KSU hated Currie.

“The description of the toxic nature of Currie and Martin, I can’t imagine how you could salvage it with money or years on the contract,” said a source familiar with the relationship. “Somebody would have to swallow hard.”

Charged with cleaning up K-State’s image, Currie stressed a platform of transparency and fiscal accountability. The buttoned-down approach was at odds, however, with the rough edges that endeared Martin to many Wildcat fans.

If the relationship wasn’t strained at first, conflict was inevitable.

“There was the predictable playing nice together in the sandbox until the F-bomb dropped in the game or something ran afoul of something Currie was all about,” one source said.

Currie’s emphasis on branding and public relations didn’t square with Martin’s regular-guy persona. The tension manifested itself in myriad ways, from lectures on sideline decorum to Currie straightening Martin’s tie before a postgame news conference.

Martin resented what he viewed as micromanaging, sources said, and became suspicious of Currie’s motives. Neither Currie nor Martin returned repeated phone calls and text messages from The Capital-Journal.

“It’s been a constant fight,” said a source close to Martin. “Frank had to bite his tongue to be there as long as he did.”

https://www.cjonline.com/sports/2012-03-26/fissures-ran-deep-martin-currie

Currie's reputation is that he is good at fundraising and building facilities and bad at managing coaching relationships and hiring new coaches.

So: Currie seems to be an excellent fundraiser, while his coaching searches and relationships with coaches he didn’t hire raise suspicion.

But if your thought process is “I don’t care if he was good at other stuff, Maryland should not hire the guy who presided over perhaps the most disastrous coaching search ever,” that’s an understandable stance to take.

https://www.testudotimes.com/2018/6...thletic-director-search-john-currie-tennessee

As I wrote earlier, ask the KSU (and USC fans) what they think of Weber and Martin now.

Bruce looks beloved to me:

Last edited:
Reading these articles, it Sounds like Curry has the Wellman-like ass kissing ability to raise money, but also can have the qualities of an asshole. May be a good combination.

Well, they don't need 2 million in the first place. Market value for college coaches is idiotic. Yet, it is our priorities, currently. As you have noted, more of that money could go to the direct benefit of the athletes.
If Goodman's reporting is close to accurate, we way overshot market value for guaranteeing Manning's contract.

What makes it even worse is that Manning made like $40MM in the NBA. He didn’t need a big coaching contract and we gave it to him anyway.

Bruce Weber has a Final Four (played for NC), Elite 8 and 2 Sweet 16s with .657 winning %.

Frank Martin has 1 Final Four, 1 Elite 8 and a .607 winning %.

What makes it even worse is that Manning made like $40MM in the NBA. He didn’t need a big coaching contract and we gave it to him anyway.

Danny's pay is middle to below middle in the ACC. It turns out he's a bad coach, but he got market rates. We didn't overpay him for the job.

The only thing dumber than giving a terrible coach a $18 million guaranteed contract is that coach agreeing to renegotiate that contract.
So much this. Danny would happily sit on a beach and get paid. He honestly can't be that dumb.

Martin paid for the local players he had during the final 4 run. His lead recruiter left for Kansas and was caught by the FBI wiretapping. And Martin is a lunatic.

I get what you’re saying but we shouldn’t pay any coach based on their need. Pay them what they’re worth. If they don’t need it maybe they can donate it back to the facilities fundraiser.

So much this. Danny would happily sit on a beach and get paid. He honestly can't be that dumb.

The people (ChrisL) who float the contract renegotiation theory have no inside info and are solely hopeful that the AD made concerted wise decisions. This was me a couple years ago, however I learned from painful experience that the Wellman led AD made decisions based on gut feel and not logic or science. Logic says Danny didn't renegotiate... Why the hell would he? But I get trying to believe there's a reason behind the madness

Danny's pay is middle to below middle in the ACC. It turns out he's a bad coach, but he got market rates. We didn't overpay him for the job.

If it’s anything close to the middle we are way overpaying.

6000 at the Joel for Saturday afternoon games vs NCSU and Xavier. Unless we get on a winning streak (unlikely), the Joel will be virtually empty for weekday games against BC, GT, etc. Wonder what LD and Big E were thinking about the sparse crowd on Saturday.

I want to be optimistic but the evidence will not permit it. Nonetheless, some things seemed different on Saturday. Maybe it's just the fact that we won and that made almost everything seem different. However, DM seemed much more engaged and energetic in coaching the team. And the team played with more energy and effort on the defensive end of the court than I can remember since he has been here. There were still some bad mistakes; but there were more things right than wrong...particularly in terms of effort.

Just a theory but I wonder if DM sees this group as the most coachable team he has had and he, in turn, is giving more of himself to them? I have no idea if that is true. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. But Xavier played tough, physical basketball and WF beat them. Whatever that means it was an unexpected experience and we did it without our best player over recent weeks.

Back