• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

Sorry but the old phrase is apt here " new boss same as the old boss"

We will see at the end of this year. If Manning is retained, then we are all screwed. I find it hard to believe that this will be the result based on the general talks you here around the program but i thought that last year as well. One thing's for sure if Manning is our coach next year than Currie's honeymoon is over

Last edited:
Manning could be fired and Currie could make another Wellmanesque hire. There's more to it than just firing Manning.

I want to be optimistic but the evidence will not permit it. Nonetheless, some things seemed different on Saturday. Maybe it's just the fact that we won and that made almost everything seem different. However, DM seemed much more engaged and energetic in coaching the team. And the team played with more energy and effort on the defensive end of the court than I can remember since he has been here. There were still some bad mistakes; but there were more things right than wrong...particularly in terms of effort.

Just a theory but I wonder if DM sees this group as the most coachable team he has had and he, in turn, is giving more of himself to them? I have no idea if that is true. Perhaps it is just wishful thinking. But Xavier played tough, physical basketball and WF beat them. Whatever that means it was an unexpected experience and we did it without our best player over recent weeks.
Sit near the bench and watch Rex Walters coach. He does much more coaching than DM.

Firing danny is the floor. Currie gets very little if any credit for that. If he does not I just can't imagine I'll ever even consider myself a fan any more.

Of course a big part of his rep will be decided by who the next basketball coach is and how they perform.

It is a mystery to me why he would come here; but I am glad he did!!

When Justin Hamilton was named to replace Bud Foster as DC at VT, his last 2 years on the staff was described (I think by Fuente) as a "2 year job interview." Maybe Walters saw this as a way to get Currie's attention (not much in his track record would do it otherwise).

I don't give a shit about Walters' ability, if a Wellman stooge hires a Manning stooge that is just another kick in the nuts. We need a coach who has never been anywhere near this godforsaken mess.

I don't give a shit about Walters' ability, if a Wellman stooge hires a Manning stooge that is just another kick in the nuts. We need a coach who has never been anywhere near this godforsaken mess.

Agreed. Get rid of everyone currently on the coaching staff and start the fuck over. It is way past time for this to happen.

No matter your individual opinion of Currie, I’m sure he is aware that the firing of Manning and subsequent hire of a new coach will define his entire legacy at Wake no matter what else happens. He knows he has to nail it or his tenure, at his alma mater nonetheless, will be permanently damaged.

No matter your individual opinion of Currie, I’m sure he is aware that the firing of Manning and subsequent hire of a new coach will define his entire legacy at Wake no matter what else happens. He knows he has to nail it or his tenure, at his alma mater nonetheless, will be permanently damaged.

I hope so. Wellman didn't seem to get that.

That's the problem...he knows he retires from the job with a nice party, fat check and pat on the back no matter how it goes. His buddy Ron set the expectation that we overpay our AD and don't hold him accountable, and then choreographed his own exit with a party amongst the elite while the fan base crumbled.

As bad as the ACC is this year, Wake could very well be "competitive" enough that Manning stays another year. It's weird to see people on social media defend Danny and argue that he just needs more time.

As bad as the ACC is this year, Wake could very well be "competitive" enough that Manning stays another year. It's weird to see people on social media defend Danny and argue that he just needs more time.

Wake's already lost 2 of what will probably turn out to be the more "winnable" ACC games on their schedule. One to one of the other bottom feeders in BC, and a home loss to one of the middle of the road teams.

Back