• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

C'mon folks. Let's review what we know …

Currie wants to remove DM, as much or more than any of us.

Most of the people here don't understand that. That's why there's a FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE thread that's pinned

Currie wants to hire his own MBB HC. It's what he was hired to do.

Again, news to this board. They think Wellman is still controlling the AD somehow

He is hamstrung by that ridiculous buyout clause that the prior AD gave in an attempt to extend his own tenure. (top 3 MBB buyout $: Coach Cal, Bennett and DM … which one is not like the other two??)
DM will not negotiate a lower $ buyout. (why would he? he's not getting another HC job any time soon. not his fault the prior AD dumped gold in his lap while further undermining our once-proud MBB program)

Buyout $ of that magnitude are not (at the moment) available. The Gang of Four are not willing to pay for the prior AD's malfeasance. There is no other source (or it would have been tapped last year)

Who is the fourth megabooster?

Things are moving slowly right now, in part because of the unprecedented worldwide situation and the related market fluctuations.
Currie's experience at Rocky Top are advising his approach to our coaching dilemma. Expect nothing to leak until he has something to announce. Silence may actually be our friend right now.

Let's pay him in Bitcoin

I choose to believe (hope?) that somehow we will have a new MBB HC long before the balls are rolled out for practice next season. Against all odds, we need to start turning this thing around now. Apathy is worse than anger and frustration. The video highlights of the '95 championship team brought back some great memories. At the same time, it was a bit surreal to see such outstanding hoops played by guys wearing WF. It has been way too long …

Tick Toc ...

You and whoever the nitwit Deacsonson is, you both seem to always criticize peoples opinion no matter what it is. Fuck both you fuckers! We can all have opinions. You both are exactly the M-fuckers that make the normal Wake Forest fans not even enjoy pulling for the team..

Haha
I don't criticize people's opinions "no matter what it is." I criticized you (and others) for being an asshole by shitting on a college kid. Pull up some examples to prove your point and I'll gladly apologize. But you can't. Feel free to keep talking shit about a student that was let down by all the adults in the room enabling shitty coaches and talking shit about fans that cared enough to... care. Most of us are finding other ways to spend our time and money.

Wellman absolutely still controls the AD in powerful (albeit it indirect) ways. First, he saddled us with this ridiculous DM contract. Second, he has loaded the AD with a bunch of loser-mentality shills. I've met some. They are soft and excuse makers. Currie would have to clean house and make some abrupt paradigm changes to the AD if things are to improve. I have seen zero evidence that's what's happening.

Wellman absolutely still controls the AD in powerful (albeit it indirect) ways. First, he saddled us with this ridiculous DM contract. Second, he has loaded the AD with a bunch of loser-mentality shills. I've met some. They are soft and excuse makers. Currie would have to clean house and make some abrupt paradigm changes to the AD if things are to improve. I have seen zero evidence that's what's happening.

I know BabyDeac. You're no BabyDeac.

All I know is what I see in front of my eyes...it would be nice if everything that BabyDeac just posted is true (it may be, who knows...there is a lot of opinion in there) but what I see is that in 11 months Currie has not made even the slightest improvement in basketball and he just kneecapped Manning with the buyout news so that if manning does come back, he is in an even worse position than before. You think our recruiting class this year sucks? Just wait till next year if Manning is still around. We all know that Manning can't coach his way out of a paperbag, let's see how he coaches players that are even worse than what we currently have. Until Currie actually shows us something (And I'm hoping he does, I'm not a masochist hoping for failure), then all we have is his past performance - which is fucking terrible.

And if Currie is putting all his hope in 4 rich donors saving Wake Basketball , then he is ....not....doing....his.....job. He has had 11 months to get creative to find buyout money and it sounds like he hasn't found two nickels to rub together.

Last edited:
Sorry, didn't mean to be so obtuse. My point was that you're wrong about Wellman still running the show.

I think BabyDeac's analysis supports my position. Wellman left us with a lasting FU on his way out. Most of what's argued over on this board is semantics and style. Maybe an FU thread for Currie is rash, or unsavory, or whatever, but he's the man getting paid the big bucks and the ship continues to sink with him in charge. Get it done or stop taking your massive paycheck to captain a sinking ship.

I also believe most on here underestimate the lasting effect of Wellman's hires for the last several decades. I have never met people with lower competitive standards or bigger excuse makers in my life. They are the lifeblood of LOWF.

All I know is what I see in front of my eyes...it would be nice if everything that BabyDeac just posted is true (it may be, who knows...there is a lot of opinion in there) but what I see is that in 11 months Currie has not made even the slightest improvement in basketball and he just kneecapped Manning with the buyout news so that if manning does come back, he is in an even worse position than before. You think our recruiting class this year sucks? Just wait till next year if Manning is still around. We all know that Manning can't coach his way out of a paperbag, let's see how he coaches players that are even worse than what we currently have. Until Currie actually shows us something (And I'm hoping he does, I'm not a masochist hoping for failure), then all we have is his past performance - which is fucking terrible.

maybe that's not a bad thing - pad the L column.

So you mean to tell me that Currie has been here 11 months and went into the negotiations without raising any money for the buyout and unprepared? did he just think he could magically raise the money in one week after talking to Manning? that’s incompetence and complete bullshit. Currie never wanted to fire Manning otherwise he would be prepared, the covid-19/ low funds is just a bullshit excuse to feed the fans to save his ass.

Call a spade a spade.

1) Ron Wellman and other really smart people on this board realized that our coach who was 61-31 in three years with 2 NCAA appearances was ruining our program. So Wellman fired him and couldn't pull off a decent hire.

2) Wellman hired Bz and sold that steaming pile to way too many WF fans for years. Then fired him. Failed to pull off a decent hire.

3) Wellman hired D(FL)M (a famous player with two years experience at a mid major) and sold that steaming pile to way too many WF fans for years.

4) Instead of firing him, Wellman extended him with a colossal buyout that would make Duke boosters blush...and was then forced out.

5) We hired an unemployed Currie, who got way in over his head and bullied around at UT, who in one year has gone massively over budget, but failed to do the one thing he was hired to do: Fire one of the all-time worst coaches in ACC history.

It doesn't really matter what Currie thinks, wants, feels. Get it done or get the F out.

Call a spade a spade.

C'mon folks. Let's review what we know …

Currie wants to remove DM, as much or more than any of us.
Currie wants to hire his own MBB HC. It's what he was hired to do.
He is hamstrung by that ridiculous buyout clause that the prior AD gave in an attempt to extend his own tenure. (top 3 MBB buyout $: Coach Cal, Bennett and DM … which one is not like the other two??)
DM will not negotiate a lower $ buyout. (why would he? he's not getting another HC job any time soon. not his fault the prior AD dumped gold in his lap while further undermining our once-proud MBB program)
Buyout $ of that magnitude are not (at the moment) available. The Gang of Four are not willing to pay for the prior AD's malfeasance. There is no other source (or it would have been tapped last year)
Things are moving slowly right now, in part because of the unprecedented worldwide situation and the related market fluctuations.
Currie's experience at Rocky Top are advising his approach to our coaching dilemma. Expect nothing to leak until he has something to announce. Silence may actually be our friend right now.

I choose to believe (hope?) that somehow we will have a new MBB HC long before the balls are rolled out for practice next season. Against all odds, we need to start turning this thing around now. Apathy is worse than anger and frustration. The video highlights of the '95 championship team brought back some great memories. At the same time, it was a bit surreal to see such outstanding hoops played by guys wearing WF. It has been way too long …

Tick Toc ...

A couple of major contributors and their continued contributions facilitated Wellman's dirty work on our hoops program. They need to step up and undo the damage caused by their support for Wellman.

What kind of buyout does Currie have in his contract? Did Wellman have any input?

What a shitshow, Wake hoops will be irrelevant for another 10 years.

LOL at donors who spent millions of dollars to put some new facilities for the worst ACC team and coach. A restaurant is going bankrupt/ about to shut down due to poor managers but instead of getting a new manager the owners decide to buy new AC units and upgrade equipment. thats what this situation is and its pure INCOMPETENCE. but hey these are the people that run this shitshow of Wake hoops and expect to feed us this bullshit.

Last edited:
The Gang of 4 is not willing to pay for the malfeasance of the AD that they enabled and propped up for years? Shocker.

Back