• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I'm sure there are all kind of politics involved but I really would love to see an ESPN do an in-depth story on what has transpired the last 11 years. Microphones under noses, asking direct questions. I also realize ESPN will not do this because we're down to about 50 of us who actually seem to care any longer and no one would watch. But, I would still love to know HOW this has been allowed to continue for over a decade. It's truly remarkable.

From my perspective, it's one of two things. Either total indifference or complete incompetence. Again, remarkable.

So you mean to tell me that Currie has been here 11 months and went into the negotiations without raising any money for the buyout and unprepared? did he just think he could magically raise the money in one week after talking to Manning? that’s incompetence and complete bullshit. Currie never wanted to fire Manning otherwise he would be prepared, the covid-19/ low funds is just a bullshit excuse to feed the fans to save his ass.

Why are people blaming Currie and not the big donors? If the issue is, in fact, the lack of funding for the Manning buyout, why are we not blaming the typical mega-donors? We need a FUCK MIT SHAH thread.

I still believe that Currie will ultimately get it done, with some delay due to the virus issues. However, I also continue to believe that we are not hiring a big name , high salary coach. He will hire someone at half Manning’s salary, and use that as partial justification if the buyout is paid substantially by Wake. If the big donors pay the buyout then this scenario isn’t relevant.

C'mon folks. Let's review what we know …

Currie wants to remove DM, as much or more than any of us.
Currie wants to hire his own MBB HC. It's what he was hired to do.
He is hamstrung by that ridiculous buyout clause that the prior AD gave in an attempt to extend his own tenure. (top 3 MBB buyout $: Coach Cal, Bennett and DM … which one is not like the other two??)
DM will not negotiate a lower $ buyout. (why would he? he's not getting another HC job any time soon. not his fault the prior AD dumped gold in his lap while further undermining our once-proud MBB program)
Buyout $ of that magnitude are not (at the moment) available. The Gang of Four are not willing to pay for the prior AD's malfeasance. There is no other source (or it would have been tapped last year)
Things are moving slowly right now, in part because of the unprecedented worldwide situation and the related market fluctuations.
Currie's experience at Rocky Top are advising his approach to our coaching dilemma. Expect nothing to leak until he has something to announce. Silence may actually be our friend right now.

I choose to believe (hope?) that somehow we will have a new MBB HC long before the balls are rolled out for practice next season. Against all odds, we need to start turning this thing around now. Apathy is worse than anger and frustration. The video highlights of the '95 championship team brought back some great memories. At the same time, it was a bit surreal to see such outstanding hoops played by guys wearing WF. It has been way too long …

Tick Toc ...

So to sum that up, Currie wants him gone but has been unable to get him gone, due to various excuses. Which goes to the root of Currie's inability to do his job over the course of 11 months, so he needs to get the fuck out as well.

I still believe that Currie will ultimately get it done, with some delay due to the virus issues. However, I also continue to believe that we are not hiring a big name , high salary coach. He will hire someone at half Manning’s salary, and use that as partial justification if the buyout is paid substantially by Wake. If the big donors pay the buyout then this scenario isn’t relevant.

I have never been hung up on a big name hire. There are great young coaches out there that would be a bargain salary-wise who I think could be very successful at Wake. Taking a chance for three years at half DM's salary is worth the risk.

So our most reliable source said that Currie’s one and only plan to raise money was to ask the same 4 people who have given money in the past?

And now that he’s failed, people still won’t blame Currie for the mess we’re in?

If Currie WANTED to scrap up the buyout money in 11 months he would of found a way, you have big banks, you can get a loan, trust me he could have so stop with the bullshit excuses defending Currie.

John Currie could walk into any bank in America and ask for a loan on behalf of WFU and have a loan of the buyout in a week, the new coach could have that loan paid off in 5 years alone, then Currie could raise even more money in the next few years if he’s such a good fundraiser like they say he was at KSU. So honestly Wake wouldn’t be on the hook for anything.

I'm sure there are all kind of politics involved but I really would love to see an ESPN do an in-depth story on what has transpired the last 11 years. Microphones under noses, asking direct questions. I also realize ESPN will not do this because we're down to about 50 of us who actually seem to care any longer and no one would watch. But, I would still love to know HOW this has been allowed to continue for over a decade. It's truly remarkable.

From my perspective, it's one of two things. Either total indifference or complete incompetence. Again, remarkable.

It’s both either one alone would have resolved the other.

John Currie could walk into any bank in America and ask for a loan on behalf of WFU and have a loan of the buyout in a week, the new coach could have that loan paid off in 5 years alone, then Currie could raise even more money in the next few years if he’s such a good fundraiser like they say he was at KSU. So honestly Wake wouldn’t be on the hook for anything.

He'd have to get approval from Hatch and likely the BOT. To think he could do it alone is insanity.

FUCK YOU, JOHN CURRIE

Nobody is saying Currie would do it alone. The point is wfu could get a fucking loan if they fucking wanted to.

And an AD’s second most important job, right after hiring the best coaches possible, is raising money. As it appears now, Currie sucks at both of those job requirements

Last edited:
He obviously would have to get approval, point is Currie could find a way, cut the bullshit excuses. Exactly SCDeac Currie has proved so far he sucks at his job.

Bigboy said Currie should do it...

You have absolutely no evidence to say that. There's nothing to say either way at this point.

Point is Currie has sucked at his job so far and there are no excuses.

Back