• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

I like the idea of firing Manning now and not hiring a replacement. That still leaves us with his buyout. Even the money we'd save by not paying a new head coach for a year would not cover the eight figures we'd owe him.

Assuming there will be a season next winter, not hiring a coach would be a disaster. We'd still pay him the same and we'd lose months of recruiting and other coaching that can be done from a distance.

Firing Manning and not hiring a replacement? I'm not sure that I see the value of that. Especially when there are coaches like Matta and Beilen and others available. There are going to be some strange times ahead of us whether or not next season is cancelled so I would much rather have a proven guy in charge plotting our strategy going forward then having no one in charge (or an interim). Hell, if that is our plan we should keep Manning because we would be paying him anyway and could avoid the "The Team without a Coach" storyline.

Firing Manning and not hiring a replacement? I'm not sure that I see the value of that. Especially when there are coaches like Matta and Beilen and others available. There are going to be some strange times ahead of us whether or not next season is cancelled so I would much rather have a proven guy in charge plotting our strategy going forward then having no one in charge (or an interim). Hell, if that is our plan we should keep Manning because we would be paying him anyway and could avoid the "The Team without a Coach" storyline.

Either way, we fire Manning and hire a replacement, or we fire Manning and don't hire a replacement, we still owe him eight figures. Right?

Yes, either way John Currie has had 11 months to find a way to buyout Manning but has failed to do so.

I like the idea of firing Manning now and not hiring a replacement. That still leaves us with his buyout. Even the money we'd save by not paying a new head coach for a year would not cover the eight figures we'd owe him.

Yeah but if there is not a season next year, we may not have to pay Manning at all and reduce our buyout amount by another year.

I will admit, I'm not privy to the details of Manning's contract.

For sure. No one is. But it would not be uncommon to have a clause saying that if there is some act of God and there is no season, we do not have to pay him for that year. I'm guessing that is why we have seen zero P6 firings thus far, and will not until there is some certainty that there is going to be a season.

For sure. No one is. But it would not be uncommon to have a clause saying that if there is some act of God and there is no season, we do not have to pay him for that year. I'm guessing that is why we have seen zero P6 firings thus far, and will not until there is some certainty that there is going to be a season.

"No season" is not the same as "no work". Just look at Wake's football team for example; the season only lasts 3 months (4 if a bowl game), but it's not like Clawson twiddles his thumbs the other 8 months of the year. If the fb season gets cancelled and we tell Clawson not to work, unless the NCAA forbids it, guys like Mack Brown will take full advantage of their rivals who choose to just "bag it" for a year. And yes I get that its 80 players vs. 15, and Manning is a crappy coach and program manager while Clawson is a great one, but you don't get to pick/choose who work/gets paid and who doesn't, unless you're going to fire the guy out-right.

DFL 50 games under .500 ACC in 6 seasons.

Should have been fired at least 3 seasons ago.

"No season" is not the same as "no work". Just look at Wake's football team for example; the season only lasts 3 months (4 if a bowl game), but it's not like Clawson twiddles his thumbs the other 8 months of the year. If the fb season gets cancelled and we tell Clawson not to work, unless the NCAA forbids it, guys like Mack Brown will take full advantage of their rivals who choose to just "bag it" for a year. And yes I get that its 80 players vs. 15, and Manning is a crappy coach and program manager while Clawson is a great one, but you don't get to pick/choose who work/gets paid and who doesn't, unless you're going to fire the guy out-right.

I bet most coaches contracts contain clauses that say if there's no season, no pay.

If there is such a clause, we could of course pay any coach we choose to pay.

I bet most coaches contracts contain clauses that say if there's no season, no pay.

If there is such a clause, we could of course pay any coach we choose to pay.

I'm guessing that wouldn't reduce his buyout either.

Look, Manning has to go. I have supported the Deacs and the "Club" for almost 30 years and my level of commitment has dropped over the past few years, as I expect it has for many. It is so disheartening to see Manning and the program dwindling year after year. Change is needed and it is needed now.

Look, Manning has to go. I have supported the Deacs and the "Club" for almost 30 years and my level of commitment has dropped over the past few years, as I expect it has for many. It is so disheartening to see Manning and the program dwindling year after year. Change is needed and it is needed now.

I'm surprised you came out the other end of the Wellman/Bz 4 years of hell. Many Wake fans didn't.

Eastertide is a festival season in the liturgical year of Christianity that celebrates the resurrection of Jesus.

I went through 12 years of Catholic school with religion class every day and have never once heard that word until Currie mentions it. It is Lent or Easter Week, there is no "Eastertide". This guy is a clown.

I went through 12 years of Catholic school with religion class every day and have never once heard that word until Currie mentions it. It is Lent or Easter Week, there is no "Eastertide". This guy is a clown.

I am an ordained elder in the Presbyterian church. We plan church activities, worship, decor, Sunday School, etc. around the liturgical calendar. Eastertide is a season on that calendar.

I realize you're intentionally being an ass on this thread, but if you haven't heard of something it doesn't exist? What fucking arrogance.

Back