• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

ALL PRAISE JOHN CURRIE FOR ACTING A YEAR TOO LATE

decisions in multiple sports to have to make based on these records if you ask me.
.413 overall and .273 acc
.519 overall and .436 acc
.449 overall and .280 acc

Meanwhile Texas fired a coach who won 2/3 of her games. And she’s just sitting around sipping quarantinis.

Once Clawson moves on, will there really be much left to discuss re: Wake sports? I get the impression that the administration would prefer to not be bothered by athletics.

Think of it another way. If Wake was not currently in the ACC, would it really lobby hard to become a member? Would it be willing to compete for a coveted spot as a P5 school and do absolutely everything possible to make that jump?
It's kind of like being in a very dysfunctional marriage for 20+ years. It costs too much to get divorced and keeping the status quo helps pay the bills but you sure wouldn't fight for her if you had to do it all over again.

If you answer honestly, then I think you'll see the bigger picture of our current problems. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
I've been firmly in the "Currie is going to mess this up" camp most of this process. But I ran into a buddy who used to directly report to John at UT (this was during his first stop at UT, not this most recent one) and said he was pretty tough to work for...but that Currie was incredibly driven, chewed you out if you did something wrong, understood the politics of running a big time program, and was always gunning to be AD. Said he was always looking "four steps ahead."

This small anecdote at least relieved me a little that Currie isn't LOWF-ing his way through his time at his alma mater. He believed he has the type of pride who is going to want to prove that UT is not who he is. All of this + this taking so freaking long makes me think he is at least turning over every stone to try and get rid of DM. Not saying he's going to pull the ultimate rabbit out of his hat, but this tidbit from my buddy makes me firmly believe he's trying.

FWIW...

Once Clawson moves on, will there really be much left to discuss re: Wake sports? I get the impression that the administration would prefer to not be bothered by athletics.

Think of it another way. If Wake was not currently in the ACC, would it really lobby hard to become a member? Would it be willing to compete for a coveted spot as a P5 school and do absolutely everything possible to make that jump?
It's kind of like being in a very dysfunctional marriage for 20+ years. It costs too much to get divorced and keeping the status quo helps pay the bills but you sure wouldn't fight for her if you had to do it all over again.

If you answer honestly, then I think you'll see the bigger picture of our current problems. Just my 2 cents.
Hatch.

It pains me that this thread may soon pass it's companion thread for RW. While I worry about John coming from the Wellman "tree" he inherited this mess that RW and Hatch et al caused. I believe he will do all he can to get a good new coach but it may be true that he cannot financially overcome the mess he was left. The times are not helping, though I believe the folks with the necessary funds are still able despite the downturn. While the opening message on both is not one that I would endorse lets put the blame where it lies and maybe the Hatch thread needs a little work because I do believe he has been a major component in this mess.

The useless stooge has 10 days until his 1-year anniversary, and he still hasn't done a goddamn thing. Fuck you Currie, you empty suit waste of an office chair!

At this point it would be stupid for Currie to publicly say Manning is coming back, i believe he will just keep quiet and not even announce anything.

It pains me that this thread may soon pass it's companion thread for RW. While I worry about John coming from the Wellman "tree" he inherited this mess that RW and Hatch et al caused. I believe he will do all he can to get a good new coach but it may be true that he cannot financially overcome the mess he was left. The times are not helping, though I believe the folks with the necessary funds are still able despite the downturn. While the opening message on both is not one that I would endorse lets put the blame where it lies and maybe the Hatch thread needs a little work because I do believe he has been a major component in this mess.

LOL. How DARE the wealthy people running businesses not listen to your hypotheticals about where they should put their money!!!

At this point it would be stupid for Currie to publicly say Manning is coming back, i believe he will just keep quiet and not even announce anything.

This is almost certainly what will happen. Currie isn't going to say anything about basketball anytime soon because he knows his fan base (all 12 of us) will go nuts when he says Manning is coming back. He is just going to ride this coronavirus sports news blackout as long as it will possibly take him. All of ya'll waiting for his 4D chess move to come to fruition will just have to keep on waiting.

IMHO, the coaching situation is most likely to be addressed very broadly when there is some announcement about the status of sports played in the fall. If football season is delayed until spring, basketball may not start until sometime after Jan 1, 2021.

Any definitive announcement about coaching staffing will wait until after the decision is made whether or not to hold in person classes at Wake and other schools in the fall. And then, if no fall in-person classes, whether they occur in the spring.

If in-person education is not happening, then it will be really, really difficult to justify in-person extracurricular activities like intercollegiate athletics. If it is not feasible to hold in-person classes, then non-academic activities will have to go away as well.

You are right about most of the administration not liking sports or capitalism. Rogan Kersh and his ilk can't stand the Ferrell business complex because it is the one academic site on campus that brings in the big money and has the best major in all the country--the 5 year Masters of Accountancy where our grads top out the scores every year nationally! They would rather have it be the bland liberal artsy type majors that bring in no money to most folks out in the business world unless they can then go to law school or med school. These types have also never seen the correlation between numbers of increase in applications during the Duncan ACC title years or Jim Grobe ACC football title years. Those pinheads don't realize that if we were not in the ACC, their salaries would be at Furman or Richmond level and not at Duke & Davidson levels.

This is almost certainly what will happen. Currie isn't going to say anything about basketball anytime soon because he knows his fan base (all 12 of us) will go nuts when he says Manning is coming back. He is just going to ride this coronavirus sports news blackout as long as it will possibly take him. All of ya'll waiting for his 4D chess move to come to fruition will just have to keep on waiting.

Pretty sure you and some of the other fuck nuts on this board won’t be happy with anything he does.

1). You’ve been screaming that he hasn’t fired Manning during a global pandemic that is massively impacting day to day lives and will have a profound negative impact on higher education and college athletics.
2). You’re complaining for weeks that he hasn’t said said anything about men’s basketball (I.e. announced he’s coming back) despite it being pretty fucking clear that there’s a bunch a legal stuff going on behind the scenes that limit his ability to comments. However, if he were to announce this, you yourself above say you’d go nuts.
3. When he finally is able to fire Manning, I have little doubt you’ll be at the front of the line with a pitchfork bitching and moaning that he wasn’t able to hire Brad Stevens or coax Phil Jackson out of retirement.

you couldn't be more wrong Bob. I'll do the fucking riverdance of joy if Manning is fired and we hire Beilen or Matta. I'll say Great Job John Currie! I personally hold out very little hope of that happening but if it does you better believe I'll be happy.

Pretty sure you and some of the other fuck nuts on this board won’t be happy with anything he does.

1). You’ve been screaming that he hasn’t fired Manning during a global pandemic that is massively impacting day to day lives and will have a profound negative impact on higher education and college athletics.
2). You’re complaining for weeks that he hasn’t said said anything about men’s basketball (I.e. announced he’s coming back) despite it being pretty fucking clear that there’s a bunch a legal stuff going on behind the scenes that limit his ability to comments. However, if he were to announce this, you yourself above say you’d go nuts.
3. When he finally is able to fire Manning, I have little doubt you’ll be at the front of the line with a pitchfork bitching and moaning that he wasn’t able to hire Brad Stevens or coax Phil Jackson out of retirement.

Where is the legal stuff behind the scenes talk coming from? I havent seen anybody on here saying for certain that is the case.

Where is the legal stuff behind the scenes talk coming from? I havent seen anybody on here saying for certain that is the case.

It's just the latest thing that those who default to "defend the AD at all costs" are clinging too. 4D chess baby! Will it turn out to be true? Maybe. But it's not "pretty fucking clear" as ole Bob wants to pretend it to be. That's just some RJ level made up BS to support a position that is becoming more and more difficult to support. Plus he even tacked on a little straw man logical fallacy in #3 that further demonstrates the lack of strength of his position.

You are right about most of the administration not liking sports or capitalism. Rogan Kersh and his ilk can't stand the Ferrell business complex because it is the one academic site on campus that brings in the big money and has the best major in all the country--the 5 year Masters of Accountancy where our grads top out the scores every year nationally! They would rather have it be the bland liberal artsy type majors that bring in no money to most folks out in the business world unless they can then go to law school or med school. These types have also never seen the correlation between numbers of increase in applications during the Duncan ACC title years or Jim Grobe ACC football title years. Those pinheads don't realize that if we were not in the ACC, their salaries would be at Furman or Richmond level and not at Duke & Davidson levels.

I agree with The Reff 100% When I was at Wake I often said that those faculty and administrators who complain about the role of sports at WFU, have no idea how important Wake being in the ACC is. There are literally hundreds o;f really good small liberal arts schools in this country that few people have heard about. Why? because they do not play Div 1 Power 5 sports. When I first came to Wake as a student from the North East, most at my high school thought I was going to a school in Illinois. Wake's emergence as a top 30 national university is tied to us being in the ACC and getting that publicity. If we do not remain competitive there will be calls to have us removed from the conference and if that happens you will see us fall in the national ratings.

Damn right. No one has ever heard of Brown because they suck at football.

Back